Drafting Kids for War

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa

Drafting Kids for War

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

Most governments, when in need, move beyond the status quo to draft kids for war.

If you had the power, would you end this menace? Or do you find reasons with the government for drafting young kids for war?
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruthwriter »

I think this is an erroneous decision. kids are meant to be developing until they gained a sense of self-awareness. drafting them into war is a suicide mission. if I have the power, I will see it as a responsibility to end it.
Nyam Bura
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyam-bura.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nyam Bura »

If I had the power, I would definitely end this menace. Kids are drafted to war because they are energetic and they have the needed strength, but they end up wasting their youthful life. I am very sure most parents would not prefer to send their kids to war. Unfortunately, they don't have a choice in most cases.
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I think that the military should not recruit people until they are at least 21 years old. Even though 17 year olds require parental consent, I feel that is way too young to face the situations that arise in the military. They still have so much growing and developing to get through first.
TusharJoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tusharjoshi.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by TusharJoshi »

It all depends upon the situation. The feeling of patriotism may be overwhelming for many- urging them to defend their nation if that is the case. War is a complex topic and it's the individual's choice that should triumph over the interests of the state.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

In cases like this, if nothing is done, the war will still come to them. Nobody is safe during wars, and the governments do this to hide themselves and because they know that people can't complain because they are at war.
The main problem is letting a war happen. If I was in power, that's what I'd try to avoid.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Lindzy Herbrand
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: A Wrinkle in Time
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindzy-herbrand.html
Latest Review: the REMF, Hurry Up and Wait by Ray Dyer
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by Lindzy Herbrand »

Whenever I read historical fiction or non-fiction pertaining to war, like with Wild World, I am relieved that in the U.S. there is no longer a mandatory draft. I don’t think it’s right for any age or country to force their citizens to fight without choice. As such my thoughts are that children should absolutely be exempt from drafts, and only those of legal consenting adult age should be allowed to participate.
Kelsey Roy
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Kelsey Roy »

There is absolutely no reason to draft children for war in civilized society. Consider what war does to full grown adults emotionally, physically, and mentally. Even if children were able to fight physically, the national emotional toll would negatively affect the nation for generations.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

In my opinion, it is menacing, but such times just go to show that there is inadequance of qualified persons or those who would love to join without being forced or called upon. I think it is bad because I think that kids may not be able handle the emotional turmoil, terror, and hardships, however tough they mat be.
Abu_Aisha1
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abu-aisha1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Abu_Aisha1 »

No matter the situation, drafting kids for war for me is totally irresponsible and unacceptable for any government. Hence, if I have the power, I would not hesitate to end this menace at this very minute wherever it's happening across the world.
Reading_Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-jack.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Reading_Jack »

They are not experienced. Taking them to war is simple sending them to death. I would definitely stop it if I had power.
bishop_444
Favorite Book: Yesterday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bishop-444.html
Latest Review: The Reject Bench by James H Morgan

Post by bishop_444 »

I think the draft is a result of people not believing in their country. Some countries don't practice the draft due to the requirement to serve in the military after adulthood, whatever adulthood is in those countries. I think the draft is, in most times, a desperation. The government starts a war instead of keeping peace and as always, the people are the ones that pay the price with their lives. I'm not anti-war, but I come from a military family, and I think if you are raised to believe in your country, you will want to do your part in keeping it safe from other countries. You shouldn't be drafted. So, yes, if I had the power, I would try to end it. However, I do believe that if the country is supported in what it does the draft wouldn't be needed. I don't have strong feelings either way toward the draft, but I will say that war is messy and terrible and there are several wars certain countries should have never been a part of, draft or not.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I believe there is much history worldwide of using young people in the military. In ancient Rome, if you were twelve, you were considered an adult ready to take on adult responsibilities. During the French Revolution, young men were drafted, and also during the American Civil War.

I think what has changed in our modern American culture is the viewpoint of who is a "kid," as you call it. Today we think of college-aged people as "kids" even though they are young adults. If I were in charge of a military organization, I would agree that the most able-bodied citizens should be drafted, trained, and stationed. This is not to say I think fighting battles and war is a good thing, but the solution is much more involved than considering whether young, able adults are in the kid category. There would be no age that people would agree with. If not people in their late teens and early twenties, then who? People who invested in college and started careers? People who now have wives and children?

In the Vietnam War era, the protests were not about the age of those drafted. They were about the rightness of fighting in Vietnam at all. I knew guys from military families who were not "anti-war". They were anti-Vietnam War.
Chinaka94
Currently Reading: Making Her His
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaka94.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chinaka94 »

I would end it. It's a desperate move to protect the nation, however, an alternative would be to purchase the services of armed forces of neighbors.
exbestfriend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-exbestfriend.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by exbestfriend »

I think it is horrible to draft kids for war, it is an unforgivable and unjustifiable thing to do. Kids should never have to die for the mistakes of adults.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”