Feelings evoked by this unique description of war

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Anne Lucas
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anne-lucas.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Feelings evoked by this unique description of war

Post by Anne Lucas »

I have read quite a few books on the war of Vietnam, but this one was different. It was neither a mere description, nor focused on politics. It was focused on emotions and views of people living in that time. It stirred my emotions and provoked numerous thoughts in my head. I sympathized with Roxy at a few points and disliked her at others. Same with Steve. This book was a roller coaster ride for me. What did it made you feel?
:tiphat:
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruthwriter »

I feel sympathetic for the victims of war. especially the students and kids. reading a book about war is no child play for the emotional type like me.i had to hide my emotions and see the worthwhile end.
Shanesha Sammerson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

I didn't expect to like this book that much but I gave it a try and I am glad I did. One main part that touched me was the death of the old man and the emotions the wife was feeling. I too am married and felt scared to know that one day one of us will have to deal with a similar loss.
Alyssa Wakefield
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa-wakefield.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Alyssa Wakefield »

I am a huge war novel person, with Catch 22, The Things They Carried, and Slaughterhouse 5 being among my favorite. Each of these novels communicates the brutality of war in different ways, with this book being no different. I agree with the initial poster, gaining perspective from the people living through war certainly differs from the battlefield and camp descriptions I am accustomed to. I don't think either I liked or disliked the stylistic choice, but I understand why it was made.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

I agree that there are some complexities with both Steve and Roxy. I quite like books that have interesting, multi-dimensional characters, so this added to the book's appeal.
Ateshi John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ateshi-john.html
Latest Review: The Unlikely Cowboy by James E. Doucette

Post by Ateshi John »

Roxy and Steve's point of view when critically looked at would reveal that, while humans no doubt have their flaws and make mistakes, war brings out the worst possible conditions for people to live.
I also found myself symoatjizing with them occasionally as one must when reading a book on a historical war and the emotions of those involved in it.
Reading_Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-jack.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Reading_Jack »

It was emotional. I've also read about stories of the Vietnam war, but this one took it to the community. It made me relate with a book on the war that happened in my own country.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I've also read a decent amount of books on the Vietnam war, but focusing on the ground level destruction and on the lives of the people was a great way to convey the severity of the event. There were a lot of emotions that accompanied this book, but the one that stood out to me was sadness for the people that actually had to go though it.
exbestfriend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-exbestfriend.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by exbestfriend »

War is always something that stirs up many emotions, incredibly when retold. I felt a strange connection to the characters as they struggled to survive the horrors of war in their youth; it also made me agree that war is not something to wish upon anyone.
Sara Scott
Favorite Book: The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
Currently Reading: Marilyn Manson & Me
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-scott.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sara Scott »

I completely agree with you! It reminds me of Ken Follett in his Millenium Trilogy. It's about WW1, WW2, and the Cold War, but it is more about following the five families through these three major 20th century events.
It goes beyond the facts and shows us how it might have been to live through it.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

It made me feel fortunate that I am not forced to participate in a war. These wars really impacted everyone, no matter if you were not actively participating in them. So I feel fortunate enough. It made me feel grateful.
Uchechukwu Fortune Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchechukwu-fortune-njoku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Uchechukwu Fortune Njoku »

The book draws out one's emotions. I felt the emotional dispositions of the characters. I was back in time, experiencing the war for myself. It was a rush of feelings as I read; I felt empathy for some characters but did not like their disposition at other times. This book sure is an emotional one.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Post by Andrada Madalina »

I admired Roxy's rage and courage in taking risks and fighting to make a difference for the nation, especially when she participated in the protest against the landlords who wanted to evict immigrants from their homes. Also, I empathized with Steve's repulsion towards the corrupt police officers and their violent acts and liked his desire to protect Roxy from the ugly side of his job.
Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga
Favorite Book: How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-korie-ifeoma-chisomaga.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga »

Like you, I liked the characters at some point, and sometimes, I disliked them. But their weaknesses and inconsistencies, and frailties stress the fact that they are human.
Ivan Mukaaga
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-mukaaga.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Ivan Mukaaga »

As for me, I loved the author’s style of writing, it was so descriptive, you could feel like your present in the battlefield.Well as you said, it evokes mixed emotions, that’s natural, when we read about suffering we sympathize with the victims. When we read about success, we are happy for those who’ve reached their destination. Thanks for that good topic.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”