Feelings evoked by this unique description of war

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Stella Edogun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-remmy-adisa.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Re: Feelings evoked by this unique description of war

Post by Stella Edogun »

I felt a lot of emotions when I was reading this book. The characters had a lot of unique characteristics which I disliked sometimes.
RajvirxSandhu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajvirxsandhu.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by RajvirxSandhu »

I felt the emotions of the characters through the author's writing style, making one feel as if they are currently living it. I equally felt how the author portrayed the war's impact on the communities and the feeling of suffering from the war's victims. In the end, it made me feel fortunate in current reality but also opened my eyes more to the worldwide conflicts and their impact on every one of us.
Bri Denzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-denzel.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Bri Denzel »

I am an empath and I felt a lot of sympathy for the victims of the war and for Steve when he kept being with frustrations while on his quest to make a change.
IbrahimOtegbade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahimotegbade.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by IbrahimOtegbade »

The writer's narrative is so vivid. I could imagine what the violence is like. The tells another story about the Vietnam war, which is important.
Ronky279
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronky279.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ronky279 »

The author deserves some accolades in this book though. Good description of war with not too much intensity. It was great.
Mmeso Goodness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmeso-goodness.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Mmeso Goodness »

War is not a thing of joy. I felt really sympathetic towards to it's victims. I felt really bad that there are some people out there who go through this war process and still come out hurt and broken.
I do not wish war in any situation at all.
Unity Bowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unity-bowling.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Unity Bowling »

I think it hit the nail on the head in depicting how chaotic and emotionally tumultuous war is. I think it's easy to fall behind a barrier of facts and figures, but when you really think about war, it is immensely impactful to millions. It's emotional and heartbreaking, but there can also be positive moments that occur personally or nationally during war, and recognizing those can bring hope or courage during otherwise really horrible times. The way in which the story was told was unique and I think a really important vantage point to take that is often avoided because of how difficult it is to do and do well.
Richard Desmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-desmond.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Richard Desmond »

Shanesha Sammerson wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 09:40 I didn't expect to like this book that much but I gave it a try and I am glad I did. One main part that touched me was the death of the old man and the emotions the wife was feeling. I too am married and felt scared to know that one day one of us will have to deal with a similar loss.
Me too. At first I wondered if I would like the book, but I ended up loving it.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Luv Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luv-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Ava Flips by Ava Nebel

Post by Luv Emmanuel »

I loved how much details the author infused into the story. This helped me connect with the emotions the characters felt. I felt sad when they were sad. I felt anger when they were angry.
Latest Review: Ava Flips by Ava Nebel
Beth Beth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-beth.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Beth Beth »

The description of the book saddened me. The author did well with the narration but to think that the things he wrote were experienced by real people in Vietnam made me sad.
The Uklighter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-uklighter.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by The Uklighter »

Anne Lucas wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 01:43 I have read quite a few books on the war of Vietnam, but this one was different. It was neither a mere description, nor focused on politics. It was focused on emotions and views of people living in that time. It stirred my emotions and provoked numerous thoughts in my head. I sympathized with Roxy at a few points and disliked her at others. Same with Steve. This book was a roller coaster ride for me. What did it made you feel?
I too sympathized with Roxy and disliked her at other times. That aside, I felt angry on behalf of the victims of the Vietnamese war.
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

'Wild World' didn't quite depict the war, but the effects of the war that were seen miles away. The war was the backdrop of the plot and it was devastating to read nonetheless. Such impact on people who are not even directly related to the war, imagine the impact on the people living in the focal point. war is a truely horrible act that leaves its impact on generations to come far and wide.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Zainab Wasif »

There is an air of uncertainty and insecurity among the masses. Youth becomes rebellious as their careers and ambitions are at stake and wrong decisions or any decisions by the government are questioned.
Agbata Precious 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious-1.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Agbata Precious 1 »

The form in which the concept of war was portrayed in this book caused me a lot of emotional instability. The death of a beloved and the grieving of the survivors made me more emotional
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Sympathy, rage, helpless, angry are emotions that were evoked after reading this book.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”