Is tolerance for war decreasing with each generation?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Re: Is tolerance for war decreasing with each generation?

Post by SunVixen »

Marsha JJ wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 17:35 In Wild World, one of the characters pointed out that his father's generation (including World War II vets) were more accepting of the Vietnam War than his generation (who were staging protests). Do you think that our tolerance for war is decreasing with each generation? Is it possible to completely eliminate war someday?
Some scientists think it's possible. For example, Steven Pinker has written several articles and books about how tolerance for violence (including wars) is indeed decreasing.

Some people may retort to me (and to Steven Pinker too) that wars still exist. However, there are fewer wars. The modern world may seem scary, but the ancient and medieval world was even scarier.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

War is not as rampant as the Vietnam days. I think more countries are trying to adapt the diplomatic approach to quarrels. It’s not possible to fully eliminate the possibility but it’s not quite as much.
Henry Patrovic
Favorite Book: A Touch of Power
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henry-patrovic.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Henry Patrovic »

Completely eliminating war is impossible in my opinion. Human greed will always cause conflict. I do think that tolerance for war is decreasing with generations. Most of our lives are a lot better than they used to be. I think, the bigger the contrast between daily life and the horrors of war, the less tolerant people become of war.
Natasha Hlongwane
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-hlongwane.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Natasha Hlongwane »

Yes. We are progressively becoming more concerned with self and thus less likely to self-compromise for the sake of fighting for the country we live in. Communication is also being encouraged more as the generations pass, and that may be a more ideal way that leaders will use to solve problems rather than bloodshed.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

If I have to choose, I'll ask for wars to never come again, the stories are too horrific. Steve tried hard to stand in and fight, it was very heroic of him.
Ophiohonren Hiram
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ophiohonren-hiram.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Ophiohonren Hiram »

Yess. These days people prefer to fight with words and not shed blood with guns or bombs.
Agbugba Chinedu Leslie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbugba-chinedu-leslie.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Agbugba Chinedu Leslie »

bishop_444 wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 10:25 I don't think war will ever be eliminated; too many people want power and to take over the world. I believe our tolerance is sort of a roller coaster. That being said, there have been plenty of wars that have happened in the last few years that either no one knows about, or they don't bat an eyelash about. So, unless the media tells people to be outraged, how many of us really look outside of our own lives and take notice of the situations in the rest of the world?
It is impossible to eradicate wars but I believe as humans evolve, the reasons for war will get complex and in turn lead to lesser wars.
Amanda simmon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-simmon.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amanda simmon »

Due to past events and consequences from past wars people have seen the effects of war and try their very best to limit the outcome especially if the cause is something little.
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

It's indeed a great question which needs great pondering. To me, there is no way to eliminate war. And I think our tolerance for war isn't actually decreasing, rather I think people are just too busy trying to get their lives together than caring about causing a war.
Kendra Jone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-jone.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Kendra Jone »

War is a bad thing, and I believe that the idea of war can not be erased or stopped. The tolerance for war is not decreasing with each generation because the past wars like World War II and many others are feared and discouraged from reoccurring.
Ebere Mark Joe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-mark-joe.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Ebere Mark Joe »

It'll be very hard for war to be completely eliminated. But I believe it'll surely reduce if we keep doing what's right.
MahimaS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by MahimaS »

I don't think we can ever eliminate war, as it is our most primitive nature. But we are gaining more and more awareness about the horror of it, so I think we'll see it less.
Khasheem
Currently Reading: Prince of Fools
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khasheem.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Khasheem »

I don't think war can be eliminated completely. But, two world wars have been fought, and we've been taught about the horrific effects of war in school. Knowing the impact, I would say tolerance for war reduces with each generation.
Peace Ella 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Peace Ella 1 »

I concur that social acceptance of war declines with each passing generation. We are able to examine the consequences of conflict spanning thousands of years. I do not believe that conflict will ever completely disappear. Ultimately, individuals who desire power will turn to the most surefire means of obtaining it—violence and physical dominance.
Uyo ojo Grace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyo-ojo-grace.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Uyo ojo Grace »

Yes, I believe that with each passing generation, we are becoming less tolerant of actual war. I believe that warfare in this world is already evolving. For instance, it no longer takes place physically but rather through technological and natural resource competitions.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”