Is tolerance for war decreasing with each generation?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Ebele Ekelobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Re: Is tolerance for war decreasing with each generation?

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

Yeah, I believe at some in the future, there will be no need for wars. Our generation has a lower tolerance for war because there are many alternative dispute resolution avenues that can be explored.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

Yes, I believe that with each generation, war tolerance reduces. It can even be seen that development, education, civilization increases, so hunger for war is bound to decrease.
Fome Ewhe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fome-ewhe.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Fome Ewhe »

It's impossible for conflict to be eliminated. As long as man lives people will strive and struggle to exert power, prove their points even if it means overruling someone else. I think we're evolving, doing things differently and hopefully to some point we won't need so much bloodshed to settle differences.
Bombasticsideeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-bereebera.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Post by Bombasticsideeye »

I think the new generation is still affected by past wars and do not want a repeat of that.
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

I doubt if war would ever be completely eliminated since we live in a world where we are always likely to be offended and may have to as a last resort go to war. But our approach to war may be decreasing and instead of being the first point of call might be the last.
Jordan Abio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordan-abio.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Jordan Abio »

Yes, unlike previous generations, today's generation appears to be completely opposed to wars, as evidenced by the protests. To say that wars can be completely eliminated is a bit of a stretch, given that there are still wars going on today, as seen in Ukraine and the Middle East, among other places. They would, however, be minimized.
Gordons Gordons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gordons-gordons.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Gordons Gordons »

I think our tolerance for war is decreasing with each generation that comes to the the fore. And I believe we can eliminate war someday. I also know that doing that will not be as easy as snapping your fingers. It will take serious work
Kendam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendam.html

Post by Kendam »

Tolerance for war is not decreasing. If anything, we are more divided along religious lines, political lines and so much more. I also do not think war can be stopped for good.
Lilian Kikimoe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilian-kikimoe.html

Post by Lilian Kikimoe »

I do not know. I am not aware if any study which says that tolerance for war is decreasing or otherwise. As for whether or not war can be eliminated, I also do kit know. I only pray so.
Amy Fellows
Currently Reading: The Monster in the Hollows
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-fellows.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Amy Fellows »

I wish I could say war is becoming a thing of the past. I agree with people that say it is changing. And nuclear war scares people. With the internet and highly visible politicians, I think people are demanding more diplomatic solutions than they did in the past. But my view on humanity comes from a biblical viewpoint. Sin will always be a part of this world and therefore there will always be disagreements, greed, lies and the sort. We have had wars since Vietnam, it just looks different now. Still, we learn with each new generations and one can hope they will do better than us.
Alet Van Tonder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alet-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Alet Van Tonder »

At face value I would agree: with each generation it seems less likely that a large-scale conflict would be possible. And yet, the Urkaine-Russia war is currently ongoing. Maybe it is more a case of greater availability of information, and the consequences of war, than tolerability of war?
nataliegracemason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nataliegracemason.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by nataliegracemason »

bishop_444 wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 10:25 I don't think war will ever be eliminated; too many people want power and to take over the world. I believe our tolerance is sort of a roller coaster. That being said, there have been plenty of wars that have happened in the last few years that either no one knows about, or they don't bat an eyelash about. So, unless the media tells people to be outraged, how many of us really look outside of our own lives and take notice of the situations in the rest of the world?
I buy into the idea you have presented. It will be near impossible for wars to be stopped.
nataliegracemason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nataliegracemason.html

Post by nataliegracemason »

Patty Allread wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 13:14 I would love to hope that our tolerance for war is decreasing, but there have been very few years since Vietnam when there wasn't a war somewhere in the world. I would like to see a world without war. Your question is a good one because an answer would require us to look at several things, including political climate, the way history is taught today, and the influence of the media. If we dig a little deeper, we would need to look at the stated goals of those in power, such as the World Economic Forum.
I too would love to see a world without war, but is that really possible. A large part of me thinks not. Another part cannot stop hoping.
Brain Jax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brain-jax.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Brain Jax »

We have evolved in this our generation and times. Diplomacy has risen and has become the norm. Our tolerance for war is very low, if it is even existent. Violence can never be a good option.
Book Review Tub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-review-tub.html

Post by Book Review Tub »

Sara Scott wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 15:37 I work with primary level students, and I like to believe the tolerance for war is decreasing. With the internet, there is more awareness of a global community with newer generations.
That being said, I feel like there is a yin to every yang. I don't feel like true world peace is achievable, there is always going to be conflict and unrest, but I do believe wars on a large scale could be eradicated eventually in the future.
You have put this wonderful. I believe the thirst and hunger for war is reducing in this new era. No body in their right minds today can say they tolerate it.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”