Is tolerance for war decreasing with each generation?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Is tolerance for war decreasing with each generation?

Post by Marsha JJ »

In Wild World, one of the characters pointed out that his father's generation (including World War II vets) were more accepting of the Vietnam War than his generation (who were staging protests). Do you think that our tolerance for war is decreasing with each generation? Is it possible to completely eliminate war someday?
Reading_Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-jack.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Reading_Jack »

I won't say that it's possible to eliminate war. Even Steve, himself tried to fight in his own way. The only thing is that the past war and tales of it is so horror that people don't want to witness it again.
bishop_444
Favorite Book: Yesterday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bishop-444.html
Latest Review: The Reject Bench by James H Morgan

Post by bishop_444 »

I don't think war will ever be eliminated; too many people want power and to take over the world. I believe our tolerance is sort of a roller coaster. That being said, there have been plenty of wars that have happened in the last few years that either no one knows about, or they don't bat an eyelash about. So, unless the media tells people to be outraged, how many of us really look outside of our own lives and take notice of the situations in the rest of the world?
Sarah J Callen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Deserving
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-j-callen.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Sarah J Callen »

You pose a really interesting question that I hadn't considered before. I'm not sure that our tolerance for war is necessarily decreasing. It might just be that our ability and willingness to vocalize our displeasure has increased. I think that there have always been people who were against war and for peace, but they didn't have large networks or platforms (like we have today) to be able to express that and build a movement.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I would love to hope that our tolerance for war is decreasing, but there have been very few years since Vietnam when there wasn't a war somewhere in the world. I would like to see a world without war. Your question is a good one because an answer would require us to look at several things, including political climate, the way history is taught today, and the influence of the media. If we dig a little deeper, we would need to look at the stated goals of those in power, such as the World Economic Forum.
exbestfriend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-exbestfriend.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by exbestfriend »

Yeah, I think it is. As young people in the information age, we have access to so much knowledge of what happened in the past that it's quite normal for us to shun war. Also, the possibility of nuclear and cyber warfare in our times is something terrifying, hence the reason why we stand against all forms of war.
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by britcott30 »

Yes, I think our tolerance for war (physical war) is decreasing with each generation. I think the war in this world is already changing, for example now is not in physical form, but competitions in technology and nature resources.
Sara Scott
Favorite Book: The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
Currently Reading: Marilyn Manson & Me
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-scott.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sara Scott »

I work with primary level students, and I like to believe the tolerance for war is decreasing. With the internet, there is more awareness of a global community with newer generations.
That being said, I feel like there is a yin to every yang. I don't feel like true world peace is achievable, there is always going to be conflict and unrest, but I do believe wars on a large scale could be eradicated eventually in the future.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

Yes, the generation of today seems to be completely against wars unlike the generations before, and the protests are example of that. To say that wars can be totally eliminated would be a bit stretching it, as there are still wars even today, what's happening in Ukraine and in the Middle East and so forth. But they would certainly be minimised.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

I don't think it is possible to completely eliminate war someday. Since humans will always look out for selves before others, there will always be unintended infringement.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

Wow, great question to ponder. I wonder if the way wars are fought today make a difference. Previous wars were two lines charging each other. Then came technology and strategic tactics for attacks. Now, we’re in such a distant, digital age that wars are prevalent, but they seem distant to us. I hope that makes sense. But I think this is a really great question. Thanks for the thought-provoking topic.
Kelsey Roy
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Kelsey Roy »

I would agree that societal tolerance for war decreases with every generation. We have the ability to look back on the effects of war over thousands of years. I do not think war will ever be fully eliminated. Ultimately, those who crave power will resort to the most foolproof way to acquire it- violence and physical strength.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

To some extent it is decreasing. However, in regards to what is happening in Russia and Ukraine, I feel like it is not likely that we can eliminate war totally. There seems to be a tendency for humanity to go back there.
Matilda jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matilda-jack.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Matilda jack »

In my opinion, I do not think that the tolerance for war has decreased. It is necessary to know that despite the modern era, war is a plague that can be very devastating. War is a thing that cannot be completely eliminated.
Kieran Anslow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-anslow.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kieran Anslow »

I do not think our tolerance for war is decreasing, but I believe that it is lurking around. I do not think it is possible for war to completely eliminated. The chances are too low.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”