Is tolerance for war decreasing with each generation?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Iniko Santamo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iniko-santamo.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Re: Is tolerance for war decreasing with each generation?

Post by Iniko Santamo »

Marsha JJ wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 17:35 In Wild World, one of the characters pointed out that his father's generation (including World War II vets) were more accepting of the Vietnam War than his generation (who were staging protests). Do you think that our tolerance for war is decreasing with each generation? Is it possible to completely eliminate war someday?
I cannot form an opinion on whether or not it is decreasing. Also, I do not think war can be completely eliminated one day. That impossible.
Richard Desmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-desmond.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Richard Desmond »

Sarah J Callen wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 11:55 You pose a really interesting question that I hadn't considered before. I'm not sure that our tolerance for war is necessarily decreasing. It might just be that our ability and willingness to vocalize our displeasure has increased. I think that there have always been people who were against war and for peace, but they didn't have large networks or platforms (like we have today) to be able to express that and build a movement.
Yeah, the question is indeed interesting. My answer to whether war can be eliminated is NO.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Luv Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luv-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Ava Flips by Ava Nebel

Post by Luv Emmanuel »

I do not really know if our tolerance for war is reducing. That's just me being honest. I also do not know if war can be stopped completely. I hope that tgatcis possible though.
Latest Review: Ava Flips by Ava Nebel
Beth Beth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-beth.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Beth Beth »

I will go out on a limb and say that tolerance for way is decreasing by each generation. I am not sure, but I hope so. And as for the elimination of way, that is a prayer I hope is answered soon, because left to me, I do not think it is possible.
The Uklighter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-uklighter.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by The Uklighter »

Marsha JJ wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 17:35 In Wild World, one of the characters pointed out that his father's generation (including World War II vets) were more accepting of the Vietnam War than his generation (who were staging protests). Do you think that our tolerance for war is decreasing with each generation? Is it possible to completely eliminate war someday?
I want to believe tolerance for war is decreasing with each generation. I also want to believe we can end war for good one day. But I do not have a definite answer for both questions.
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Vivian Writes »

I think that it is. With every generation, there’s more openness to peace, balance and such things. Presently, lots of millennials and Gen Z-ers are more consumed with achieving emotional balance and success. These generations have a much reduced tolerance for war and I believe that it is only going to get more reduced with each new generation that is born.
Krista Kirby-Dempsey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2483
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-kirby-dempsey.html
Latest Review: The House of Spark by Luminita Laflash

Post by Krista Kirby-Dempsey »

I think tolerance for war is most definitely decreasing with each generation, and I think that is a great thing. I feel like past generations were a little quicker to jump into fighting wars than finding solutions. Part of that I think can be because of the internet and how we can all be connected. Quicker communication can lead to quicker solutions. I wish that there was no need for war at all, but unfortunately, it will always be a part of this world, but as a whole we should be slower to start and fight in wars.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Zainab Wasif »

Yes, I think people have experienced the devastating effects of war in the past. Today’s generation is aware that war is never justified. No country is willing to support or initiate war because of public reaction.
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Tolerance for war is definitely decreasing with each generation and for good reason. Wars are utterly selfish and are just a show of power. The younger generation being aware of its real-world effects is very much needed.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

Wow! A great thought-provoking question.
I’m not sure if the tolerance for war is decreasing, or if people are just so much more aware of what is going on world-wide now, with the internet news and all the abilities to search information on what is coming up.
But I do think seeking peace over war is a high goal for everyone to strive for.
However, with how modern day events and recent wars have already taken place, I don’t think getting rid of all wars will happen anytime soon.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

I definitely think our tolerance for war is decreasing. We have learned more from past wars and the negative aspects of war and how it affects people for years have been well publicized. It may not be completely eliminated but the tolerance for it is decreasing.
Hyfr Zack
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyfr-zack.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Hyfr Zack »

Yes, I believe that tolerance for war is diminishing with each generation. Having witnessed the aftereffects of previous fought wars. The younger generations appear to learn from the past, employing other improved and safe methods of resolving disputes.
Anahi Lopez Vidueiros
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anahi-lopez-vidueiros.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anahi Lopez Vidueiros »

I don´t think our tolerance for war is decreasing but we are definitely getting used to it. If you take a look at Ukraine’s War, people are not okay with it, they are protesting and risking their lives for people they don´t even know. However, this war exists even after everything we´ve been through, even after uncountable wars.
I am a dreamer, an idealist, and an optimist, so I do hope that one day War becomes just pages in History Books.
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Is tolerance for war decreasing? War is never going to go away, it's necessary for all sorts of change. But our attitudes have changed to try to resolve issues with less violence. So maybe, yes.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Dalia Chf »

our tolerance for war has definitely decreased and the reason is very simple: information.
we now have way too much -if you ask me- information at our disposal thanks to social media, and that only helps increasing our hate for war

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”