Is tolerance for war decreasing with each generation?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Stella Edogun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-remmy-adisa.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Re: Is tolerance for war decreasing with each generation?

Post by Stella Edogun »

I believe that the tolerance for war is decreasing. With the rise of technology, individuals cannot blindly go to war without having proper knowledge as to why it is happening. I believe that our generation prefers to resolve issues amicably which ends up leaving war as the last resort.
Austin Debby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-austin-debby.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Austin Debby »

I don't think it is. With the Rusian and Ukraine war, one would figure that this generation thirsts for war more because of rapid the innovation of war equipment over the years.
Bri Denzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-denzel.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Bri Denzel »

Yes. With each generation that passes, humans continually discover the irrelevance of war and the need to foster peaceful relations between themselves by seeking other none violent ways to resolve disputes.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Post by David Chijindu »

I don't believe it is possible to entirely eradicate conflict someday. Unintentional violation will always occur since humans will always prioritize themselves over others.
Ronky279
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronky279.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ronky279 »

Definitely. The difficulties we face in our work and all spheres of life alone is a war, let alone physical war.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

To eliminate wars for good would be nice. Unfortunately there will always be a group greedy for power or money to start a war. I don't think our tolerance is decreasing with the generations. It is the other way around. It is just that, the old generations believed they could change things by protesting and showing their indignation. The young generations on the other hand feel defeated and have that feeling that their leaders don't care about what they have to say/do.
AnselRigor_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anselrigor.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by AnselRigor_ »

Marsha JJ wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 17:35 In Wild World, one of the characters pointed out that his father's generation (including World War II vets) were more accepting of the Vietnam War than his generation (who were staging protests). Do you think that our tolerance for war is decreasing with each generation? Is it possible to eliminate war someday?
I don't know if it is possible for human beings to completely eliminate war, but I certainly with it is possible. War is a result of people whose egos are bigger than their communication skills, there has never been a need for war, and there will never be a need for war, but as long as humans can communicate well, wars shall continue to happen. To answer your question, yes, the tolerance for war seems to be reduced in some countries of he world, especially western countries.
Donald Kelvin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-chinwe.html
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd

Post by Donald Kelvin »

Absolutely. I feel war is an option that would not be embraced by the younger generation. They are more level-headed and educated. They won't be led easily to war, without first exploring other options.
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd
Toolzjane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toolzjane.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Toolzjane »

The new generation has discovered wars are needless and they serve no party at the end of it, so yes our tolerance for war is decreasing.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

It annoys me, but it's true. our tolerance for war is decreasing everyday. Although, i don't think it is impossible to eliminate war. If you want peace, you must prepare for war.
Charles Jeremiah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-jeremiah.html
Latest Review: Now I See by Sandra Leon Gonzalez

Post by Charles Jeremiah »

I think so. Wars will never end as conflicts will always rise up but over generations, the rate of wars have greatly reduced. Somehow, that too, has it disadvantages.
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Maliha Naveed »

Yes, absolutely. Our generation no longer cares for being a war hero. We do not want to be praised for something that involves insane massacre and destruction to people's lives and properties. I admit that there are still some who possess the old mindset but the general air about war and its manifestations is indeed changing.
Unity Bowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unity-bowling.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Unity Bowling »

I think the tolerance is decreasing because there are less people intimately impacted by war and more exposure of how toxic the US military as a system is. We have heard about the atrocities, but not experienced them firsthand, which makes us less numb to the horrors of war and therefore pretty reluctant to endure them without a really, really good reason. I don't think we will ever be able to eliminate war, because there will always be power-hungry people, but I do hope that war will become less and less prevalent as time goes on.
Duwire Banda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duwire-banda.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Duwire Banda »

I think our generations despise war very much, owing to the lessons learnt from the two world wars. Moreover, with advance of nuclear weapons most people do not like the idea of war.
Aarya Gondkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarya-gondkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Aarya Gondkar »

In my opinion, yes, it is. The common want for peace has always existed, except now, the advancement of social media platforms is making it easier and simpler to spread this feeling. However, it is in this same generation that we saw the war between Russia and Ukraine too. So, we haven't yet succeeded in eliminating war, and I do not think we ever will. It is a highly utopian concept and we are humans after all. But is the youth getting more aware and understanding? Yes, much more than the previous generations. It will take some time and effort, but we are getting there.
"Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."-roald dahl

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”