Was Roxy's mother in a normal mental state?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Re: Was Roxy's mother in a normal mental state?

Post by Charles lib »

For me, she was in a normal state, only that she never liked Roxy that much.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

I think she doesn't have any mental illness. But she constantly living in a denial and obssessive state. She only accept what she want and reject what she doesn't want, even if that is the truth. She doesn't need any medication, but she will definitely live a lonely live.
Nicholas Bush
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholas-bush.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nicholas Bush »

I don't think that woman has a correct mental state because it takes someone mentally unstable to send her daughter out of her house without being bordered if she would come back or not.
Okafor David Okechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-david-okechukwu.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Okafor David Okechukwu »

Silvo wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 07:38 Roxy's mother was one of the unique characters I saw in the book. She sends her real daughter out of her home and doesn't care if she'll be back. Do you think she might be suffering from some mental illness after her other daughter died?

I think Roxy's mom allowed her religion to take priority in her life over the situation of her daughter Roxy. Due to this factor, she believed all her actions were in obeying God's will so did not feel remorse over it. I don't think she was mentally ill. I think she used religion to cope with her loss.
Gabriella H
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

She definitely wasn't, or she wouldn't have been mixing her living daughter up with her dead daughter. I believe she was disappointed in Roxy, but that's different from actually believing you're talking to your dead daughter and having sudden alternations between the past and the present. It could be schizophrenia, pathological grief disorder, maladaptive grief, etc.
Ivan Mukaaga
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-mukaaga.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Ivan Mukaaga »

I was left wondering about the kind of mother she is. I too was tempted to conclude that she has a mental problem. When Roxy told Steve that she is not in good terms with her mother, many whys were running through my mind but her behavior answered it all.
Onyiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyiny.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Onyiny »

Definitely not! I believe her husband and favorite daughters death hurt her so much, she became overly religious that she didn’t even mind losing her only surviving child
Natasha Hlongwane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-hlongwane.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Natasha Hlongwane »

No. The trauma of losing her loved ones have driven her to adopt unhealthy coping mechanisms and driving her only living child away. She would have benefited greatly from grief counselling.
Ophiohonren Hiram
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ophiohonren-hiram.html
Latest Review: Symposium of the Reaper by Andrew Adams

Post by Ophiohonren Hiram »

She was normal to me, but what baffled me was her willingness to let her last family member run loose, her daughter for that matter. Maybe she was just wicked.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

This would be a moot point, for two reasons:

1) She may have been in some sort of post-traumatic stress disorder over the death of her favorite daughter; which could mean that her mental state would be delicate.

2) She would have a very deep depression, which does not necessarily mean that her mental state would be abnormal.

In any case, it is very sure that her religious fanaticism reaped her in many ways, and probably in the end she would charge him a very high bill realizing that she lost the only family she had left.
Nerd_Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerd-chris.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Nerd_Chris »

Due to the death of her other daughter, she might have suffered from a temporary mental condition. This truama and frustration could have led to the harsh action she displayed towards her daughter
Nerd_Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerd-chris.html

Post by Nerd_Chris »

Due to the death of her other daughter, she might have suffered from a temporary mental condition. This truama and frustration could have led to the harsh action she displayed towards her daughter
Peace Ella 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Peace Ella 1 »

She may be attempting to mold Roxy into the ideal daughter, in my opinion. After losing her father and sister, Roxy's sister, she is afraid of losing herself. I see a grieving mother who perceives a loss of control over her life.
Uyo ojo Grace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyo-ojo-grace.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Uyo ojo Grace »

After losing a child, I don't believe anyone can have a "normal" emotional state. baselines for all typical changes in every aspect. You used the example of Roxy's mother leaving her house, which is probably a result of the emotional rollercoaster that is her sadness. A parent is forever scarred by that type of anguish.
Mayang Bature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Living Intentionally by Viterose Van huis

Post by Mayang Bature »

I don't understand how some parents will choose to love one child and leave the other. I don't know their justification for that but it happens. Roxy's mum here most likely is in a sane state but happens to be one of those who despises one child. Her beliefs also might have added more fuel to the fire because she began to see her own daughter as the devil's incarnate

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”