Was Roxy's mother in a normal mental state?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Re: Was Roxy's mother in a normal mental state?

Post by Madu Abigail »

I just feel she has not completely accepted the loss of her daughter. I think her state of denial has made her shut Roxy away.
Demilade_001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-demilade-001.html
Latest Review: Agatha the Beloved Queen by Fred Pilcher

Post by Demilade_001 »

Even though she has a kind of religion extremist way of addressing things, I think she lost herself completely after the death of her husband and her child. Besides Roxy shouldn't have had sex with Steve on my mother's bed, it's very wrong. But her mom should have found a better way to approach the issue not that she should send her out of the house.
Hemant Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hemant-sharma.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Hemant Sharma »

I can't say she was in a normal mental state. She was obsessed with her dead daughter and refused to acknowledge Roxy's existence. Also, the way she threw her only daughter out of her house can never be considered normal in any circumstance.
IbrahimOtegbade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahimotegbade.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by IbrahimOtegbade »

She's okay, but her actions deserve some serious literary psychoanalysis. That her beloved daughter and husband have died has some mental effects on her. Also, I think she is a stereotypic character that represents the religious perception of people about sexual relationship.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Roxy's mom didn't know how to deal with grief. She strikes me as some one looking for something to hold on to. Tossing in the wind with no anchor, disconnected from the world.
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Regard003 »

I think the woman is crazy. Period!
The was she was screaming because she assumed her daughter slept with her boyfriend on her bed. She didn't even catch them red handed.
Claire Twy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

Silvo wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 07:38 Roxy's mother was one of the unique characters I saw in the book. She sends her real daughter out of her home and doesn't care if she'll be back. Do you think she might be suffering from some mental illness after her other daughter died?
I think she's not mentally unwell, but since she uses her surviving daughter as a coping mechanism to reinforce her denial over the death of her other daughter, I would just say that she refuses to accept her depressing reality. She's also devoutly religious so that might play a part in how she treats her daughter when Roxy behaves in what she deems as a 'sacrilegious manner'.
Ebele Ekelobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

She was overly religious to the point of obsession and the same is the situation with her love for her dead daughter. So it's not particularly a mental illness.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

I don't think Roxy's mother was ill. Rather I think she was overwhelmed by religion. She was very religious, and some of Roxy's behaviors might not have sat well with her.
Fome Ewhe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fome-ewhe.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Fome Ewhe »

Her response to Steve and Roxy having sex on her bed was expected for me, but everything else I can't say for sure. The way she seemed to never see Roxy as her own person was just hurtful, and after losing half of your family, it's not normal to kick the one person you have left. She was probably in normal state of health, she just wasn't a decent mother to Roxy, maybe as a result of what happened but that, for me, is no excuse.
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

I think Roxy's mother is not ok mental because of Roxy's sister's death.
Bombasticsideeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-bereebera.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Post by Bombasticsideeye »

I don't believe she was mentally ill. I think she held her Christian values very high and could not accept that Roxy and Steve we're disrespectful enough fornicate it on her bed. I believe she threw her out because of anger and disappointment. Probably as a way to punish her. Maybe if Roxy had shown remorse for her actions, things would have turned out differently.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I think she was in a normal mental state but still grieving the death of her favourite child. Not caring for Roxy wasn't something new, she clearly didn't care for her when she was younger.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Gordons Gordons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gordons-gordons.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Gordons Gordons »

I think she might have suffered from a mental illness when her daughter died. It will take so much for a mother who has lost a child to still remain sane and the same.
Nkuna John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkuna-john.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Nkuna John »

Silvo wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 07:38 Roxy's mother was one of the unique characters I saw in the book. She sends her real daughter out of her home and doesn't care if she'll be back. Do you think she might be suffering from some mental illness after her other daughter died?
Roxy's mother was one of the stronger characters in the book, and she had quite an interesting backstory. I do think that her religious views and her grief contribute a lot to what she does in the book, and I think it showed how she mentally unfit to be anybody's parent at that moment.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”