Can a single person stop corruption in an organization?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
princejal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princejal.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Can a single person stop corruption in an organization?

Post by princejal »

One person can't stop how things are run in an established organisation. One person can however be a catalyst for change, through influencing people around him to his point of view. However a lot of times, for this to happen, one might need to be martyred before people can really sit up and notice. So no I don't think one person can change an organisation.
Ebi Robert
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebi-robert.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Ebi Robert »

Well, one can try, but it is a difficult thing to stop corruption in the society all by one's self. Steve Logan is a good example. He tried but it wasn't easy. He had to take a bold step, else he would have ended up being affected by the system too.

It may be very significant however if the head of a system is not corrupt. But that's difficult to come by.
Kabeer Ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kabeer-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Kabeer Ahmed »

I think, yes. Maybe one single person may be able to stop corruption in an organization. We may not have many but a few examples of such brave men in our history who may not have good sources or power but with the right call, they win.
Raggedy Grace Anne Trono
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raggedy-grace-anne-trono.html
Latest Review: A Walk in the Twilight by John J Bosco Jr.

Post by Raggedy Grace Anne Trono »

For me, a person can create a current or can open the eyes of the people to act for change, but they can't do it in their own alone. A single person cam influence people but they can't do all the work alone. That's impossible because change woudn't be successful if other people won't believe in it.
Kinjal V Shah
Favorite Author: Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Book: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinjal-v-shah.html
Latest Review: Mon Cheri by Spare Time Novels
fav_author_id: 2960

Post by Kinjal V Shah »

A single cannot entirely stop corruption or cause any major change entirely. But as said in today's time, "your vibe attracts your tribe", a single person can influence enough people to start with the demolition of corruption.
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

In my opinion, I think a single person can stop corruption. But he should first try to show his fellow colleagues what they are doing is wrong. In that way,it would be easy for him to be successful if he gets help from the others than doing it alone.
Julia_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julia-review.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Julia_Review »

I don't think a single man can stop corruption at a big level. If you eliminate one part of those people, others will come. But it does not mean you should just close your eyes. Just get your expectations a little lower.
“How small a thought it takes to fill a life.”
― Ludwig Wittgenstein
srkilgour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srkilgour.html
Latest Review: Blue Collar Cash by Ken Rusk

Post by srkilgour »

I don't think one person can change corruption in such a huge corporation, but I think if they are the right person and they are able to convince other people than it is easier to create change. Unfortunately, I don't think one person or even a few people can make such a huge change. If they don't give up and keep fighting for what they believe in, I think they can create a snowball effect that can eventually result in change, but it would take a long time of hard work and dedication.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

No, that is a negative answer for me. A single person cannot effect a substantial change in an organization. But he can influence others to join him and work together to bring out a massive change. A cliché goes that "two heads are better than one".
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

Corruption is like a communicable disease. It spreads from one person to another and stems its roots deeply in them. A single person cannot stop corruption however he can work towards changing the approach of things . It will be difficult , yes, he has to influence a few infected who are on the same page as him to help stop corruption.
Jennifer-Annie Abdul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookthumper.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Jennifer-Annie Abdul »

He should just leave that organization to save himself some serious heartbreak. One person cannot, and I repeat, cannot stop corruption in a major organization.
CandyCandy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esraa-samy-1.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by CandyCandy »

I don't think something like that could ever happen if the person didn't get enough support or was in a society with important people who demanded justice.
Hughes Davidson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hughes-davidson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hughes Davidson »

I believe a single person can stop corruption. But that should not be any ordinary person. That person must be smart and must play his game smartly. He should not stop trying because one day everything will work out again.
Chris Walter Mason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-walter-mason.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Chris Walter Mason »

Yes, one person can stop corruption, but the challenge is that that person will have to make enormous sacrifices because everyone is against him or her. Nelson Mandela accomplished this. However, the cost is prohibitively expensive. Only a few are capable of doing so.
queen anirah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queen-anirah.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by queen anirah »

You can try to stop corruption single handedly if your position allows you to. I do not think that a man without a say can just start one day to try to abolish corruption. One must stay put to their cause and have the capability to stop corruption.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”