Can a single person stop corruption in an organization?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Ivy_Nesty28
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-nesty28.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Re: Can a single person stop corruption in an organization?

Post by Ivy_Nesty28 »

Changes never come suddenly. And with people, even if they need changes, they won't take risks or do what is necessary. If one person is ready to stay and change the system, he will face several hurdles in life. But he becomes an inspiration to many more to stand against corruption and injustice. Therefore I don't think one should leave the system. This person can indeed bring minor changes to the system, which can later influence others to bring changes to the system. So yes, a single person is able to bring change.
Chris Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nakazuka.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Chris Azuka »

Since Steve did it, I believe it can be done. The major thing is to be determined and every other things will be put in place. I believe it was Steve's determination that helped me achieve success.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

think a single person can change corruption. But I think the person has to have the right mindset and immense strength to do so. The most important thing would be to not give up and try to make others see the wrong their doing.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Sarah J Callen wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 19:51 You raise such good questions that I was considering as I was reading. I'm too pessimistic to believe that one person can change an entire corrupt organization, but I do think it's worth trying in some situations. I believe our actions do matter and can make a difference, but I think widespread corruption as the book describes takes more than just one person to dismantle.
I agree with you, Sarah. I believe Steve needs a backup to change the corrupt system.
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

No. Even in this story, Steve didn't end the corruption on his own. He had the help of his professor, the reporter, and the FBI. Without those, unfortunately, he would have failed to make any change. It's a sad truth, but some systems are too powerful to be changed single-handedly. If anything, the best way to accomplish this is to develop a group within. For example with Steve, he may have had to find other cops on the borderline who were willing to stand with him against the bribes and over-the-top violence.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

It's not totally impossible, but it will be very difficult. In Steve's case, it is impossible because ending corruption in an organisation as large as the police force will require the individual having lots of power and influence.
Blessing Otuokere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Blessing Otuokere »

It will be challenging for a single guy to battle corruption, especially when it is the norm. The only way things could possibly work out is if he were the head and choices needed his approval.
Blessing Otuokere
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Blessing Otuokere »

It will be challenging for a single guy to battle corruption, especially when it is the norm. The only way things could possibly work out is if he were the head and choices needed his approval.
Unique Mary Iloakasia
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-mary-iloakasia.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Unique Mary Iloakasia »

I believe that one man can change the world. Ome person can be the spark that enacts change in a corrupt enterprise.
Monkeymoney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monkeymoney.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Monkeymoney »

This made me remember the saying "if you cannot stop them, you join them." Sincerely speaking, looking at our society, I don't think a single person can stop corruption. Instead of stopping, you'll either end up joining hands with them or they'll do everything to eliminate you.
Odindi Omo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odindi-omo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Odindi Omo »

I think a single person can make a difference and be an example. It takes one man to start, people can join along the way. Every great difference made today started from one person.
Ekuma Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekuma-blessing.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd Edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekuma Blessing »

I firmly believe that in a large organization like the police force, corruption cannot be stopped by one person. However, I do not believe the one-man squad will actually work in Steve's instance, especially because he is only a low-ranking officer. I believe you should strive to find a different technique to bring about the change that the person genuinely desires after multiple failed attempts.
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

I think one person can't eradicate corruption in a big organization but one can influence other people to join by being persistent in doing good
Jay_shon03
Favorite Book: Butterfly Awakens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-shon03.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jay_shon03 »

The only way a single person can bring about change in an organization is when that person is in position of authority or has access to influential people.
Peace Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-eze.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Peace Eze »

It’s often difficult for a single person to stop corruption in an organization because they would probably gang up against the person and make him/her look like the bad one in the eyes of the public.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”