Can a single person stop corruption in an organization?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Onyeso Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyeso-njoku.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Re: Can a single person stop corruption in an organization?

Post by Onyeso Njoku »

I don't think a single person can cause a change in any corrupt system, rather he or she can attract others who will join In the fight against corruption.
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

I also had this question on my mind the entire time I was reading the novel. It seems like a vain dream. They can’t do it alone but they can rally other people’s help.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

True, Steve was a one-man-squad and his efforts were being frustrated, but that doesn't mean a single man can't fight corruption.
Onyeso Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyeso-njoku.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Onyeso Njoku »

I think it is possible because change starts with one person then others will emulate his or her footstep. With this approach, I think one person can fight against corruption.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

Shillah Andeso wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 14:21 I think it can happen. A single man like Steve, with the right mindset, can be able to tackle matters of corruption effectively. Although it may be hard work and also frustrating, if the work smart they will ultimately be there.
With a lot of frustrating situation too 👍👍
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

It will be very difficult for a single person to eradicate corruption in such a big organisation. He must be ready to sacrifice himself along the line. However, I believe it is worthwhile to try in some cases. I believe that our actions do matter and can make a difference, but I believe that widespread corruption, as described in the book, requires more than one person to dismantle.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

An adage says a tree doesn't make up a forest. A single person can't stop corruption in an organization, he/she will rather be killed or frustrated .
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I think this differs from one person to another based on their personality and position. Some would have the strength or the power to make this change. Sometimes making a small change may encourage others to make their own efforts as well to make a difference.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Samuel Onowhakpor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-onowhakpor.html
Latest Review: Seeker: A Sea Odyssey by Rita Pomade

Post by Samuel Onowhakpor »

Theoretically, with grit and hardwork, it is possible; practically, the dynamics of corruption will frustrate your efforts, because as most people know, corruption always fight back. Besides, Steve knew that he couldn't do it alone, which is why he passed along the evidence he garnered to the FBI.
Rose Tamuno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-tamuno.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rose Tamuno »

Victoria Ukamaka wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 05:15 Steve tried to do the right things and to make his colleagues do the right things at work. But he is a one-man-squad and his efforts are being frustrated. His life and job were even being threatened. In a case like this, do you think the person should just leave the system? Or can a single person stop the corruption in such a huge organization?
Leaving in a corrupted system and trying not to make thing right to me is like encouraging corruption. Although, going against the corrupted system exposed Steve to so much threat but someone has to make a difference. who knows how many of his colleagues who want to do the right thing but do not have the courage Steve got but seeing Steve's courage awaking theirs.
Rose Tamuno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-tamuno.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rose Tamuno »

it is possible but difficult for a person to stop corruption in an organization as the police department where Steve works, having the mind that he is a low rank officer. For someone to want to take such step Steve took, the person must be very brave, have a good plot and be ready for any outcome which i think Steve knew and still went on with his plans not minding if he lost his life on the line.
nataliegracemason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nataliegracemason.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by nataliegracemason »

One person cannot stop corruption in any place. If it were possible, then the world would have been corruption-free. But that does not mean that good Samaritan should quit. Miracles do happen.
Neora Wish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neora-wish.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Neora Wish »

Yes, it is possible as w had seen Steve doing it. The only challenge is that one has to do too much to achieve this and much riskier than when it is done by a team. Not everyone can, only those strong enough, like Steve.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

It depends, but in my honest opinion, one person cannot remove corruption in a large organization like the police force. I don't believe the one man squad would be useful in Steve's instance, especially since he is only a low ranking officer. I believe he should just leave the system and look for another means to bring about the change he seeks after trying so hard to do so without success.
Chinenye Sus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-sus.html
Latest Review: Sister B by David Charles Hart

Post by Chinenye Sus »

No. There is absolutely no way one person can stop corruption. He needs the help of others.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”