Can a single person stop corruption in an organization?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Victoria Ukamaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Can a single person stop corruption in an organization?

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

Steve tried to do the right things and to make his colleagues do the right things at work. But he is a one-man-squad and his efforts are being frustrated. His life and job were even being threatened. In a case like this, do you think the person should just leave the system? Or can a single person stop the corruption in such a huge organization?
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I think it can happen. A single man like Steve, with the right mindset, can be able to tackle matters of corruption effectively. Although it may be hard work and also frustrating, if the work smart they will ultimately be there.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I think a single person can change corruption. But I think the person has to have the right mindset and immense strength to do so. The most important thing would be to not give up and try to make others see the wrong their doing.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

I would say yes if that person is dedicated enough to his cause. Just do it very quietly and discreetly.
Sarah J Callen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Deserving
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-j-callen.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Sarah J Callen »

You raise such good questions that I was considering as I was reading. I'm too pessimistic to believe that one person can change an entire corrupt organization, but I do think it's worth trying in some situations. I believe our actions do matter and can make a difference, but I think widespread corruption like the book describes takes more than just one person to dismantle.
Soshell Williams-Witter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soshell-williams-witter.html
Latest Review: Deceit by Vernon Baumrind

Post by Soshell Williams-Witter »

I honestly think that one person cannot stop corruption in an organization as big as the police force. In Steve's case especially, where he is just a low ranking officer, I do not think the one man squad would be effective. I think after trying so hard with no success, he should just leave the system and try finding another way to effect the change he wants.
Caroline Elizabeth 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-elizabeth-1.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Caroline Elizabeth 1 »

A single person cannot stop corruption in an organization but he can influence a few who can join him in fighting corruption which is always at a cost.
Timothee22
Favorite Author: David Schwarzkopf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothee22.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 248826

Post by Timothee22 »

It won't work with only him fighting this battle. He needs support. It will only take a miracle for him to win this case.
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

If I were in Steve's situation, I would just follow my instincts and my heart. If I believe I can change the corrupted system, I will do everything it takes, regardless of the difficulties or results.Whatever sorrow occurs in the process of creating a better world, we may be certain that the better will come to us later.
It is impossible to be a one-man army and change the world in our corrupted environment. But it is worthwhile to strive to achieve something in which we have a strong belief, even if it fails in the end. In my opinion, it is the process that is most important, not the outcome.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Alexander C Schmoock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

I don't think the person should give up. At some point, some other people with a living conscience will see the need to join in advocating for a change in the system.
Essy moonlight11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-moonlight11.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Essy moonlight11 »

It takes a lot sacrifice. Most of the time you'll be silenced or eliminated before you can even make any meaningful impact. I can say it depends on luck... Or fate.
Oluwatosin Balogun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwatosin-balogun.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson

Post by Oluwatosin Balogun »

A single person can not stop corruption in an organisation, but the person's actions can motivate others to join forces and stop it together.
Missing Person
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-zambarakji.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Missing Person »

I think a government employee in a government organization can only stop one instance of systemic corruption before losing his or her job. I think Steve did the best he possibly could to stop one instance of police corruption: the political corruption scandal about the housing crisis in south Providence. But I also think that Steve could have easily avoided all drug raids and not gotten his hands dirty in the process of fighting police corruption.

I think if Steve was more persistent he could have joined the FBI and used the FBI resources to root out corruption in police departments across the US. What I think is really impossible is solving corruption in the organization you work for more than once. I think it would have been possible, according to the logic of the narrative, for Steve to fight police corruption while being an FBI agent. But being an FBI agent would have made it nearly impossible for Steve to fight the political corruption within the FBI agency.

On the other hand, Steve may have been able to accomplish more as a civil rights and consumer rights lawyer than as an FBI agent. But the narrative never provides any information for us to compare the activist potential of a lawyer to an FBI agent or regular police officer.
mercasa
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odek.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by mercasa »

It's a hard task to achieve mostly when it's a one-man job. If along the way people support what he stands for then by all means it would be possible.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

I don't think a single person can cause that level of change on their own, but they can attract the attention of others that could lead to a significant change.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”