Can a single person stop corruption in an organization?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Henry Patrovic
Favorite Book: A Touch of Power
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henry-patrovic.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Re: Can a single person stop corruption in an organization?

Post by Henry Patrovic »

Honestly? I don’t think so. Maybe in a small organisation, but not in an international one. Books and movies often show that it is possible, but I simply don’t think it’s true. Sorry if I’m being pessimistic, but that’s just my opinion.
Agbugba Chinedu Leslie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbugba-chinedu-leslie.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Agbugba Chinedu Leslie »

Sarah J Callen wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 19:51 You raise such good questions that I was considering as I was reading. I'm too pessimistic to believe that one person can change an entire corrupt organization, but I do think it's worth trying in some situations. I believe our actions do matter and can make a difference, but I think widespread corruption like the book describes takes more than just one person to dismantle.
One man cannot change the world alone. He needs the co-operation of several people in order to be able to effect real change
Chinasa Deborah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinasa-deborah.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Chinasa Deborah »

Being exceptional on one's own is a difficult decision.Eliminating corruption from his organization will be a very challenging challenge. Even though I believe Steve will find it difficult to do that, I believe that staying in the system and not giving up is the best course of action because I believe that one day he will succeed.
Amanda simmon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-simmon.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amanda simmon »

The influence of one person can create a revolution that can change the world and stop corruption but this influence will create an change in people and the actions that they take also helps in the stop of corruption so is it really one person or is it everyone influenced by them.
Nina Vanderbilt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-vanderbilt.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nina Vanderbilt »

Corruption is a systemic issue, and I have little faith that a single individual can eradicate it. :/
Kendra Jone
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-jone.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Kendra Jone »

A single person can not stop corruption alone because I believe that for corruption to be stopped it has to be done by the majority. The effect of stopping corruption by a single person will be engulfed by the ignorance of the corrupted majority.
Kendra Jone
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-jone.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Kendra Jone »

A single person can not stop corruption alone because I believe that for corruption to be stopped it has to be done by the majority. The effect of stopping corruption by a single person will be engulfed by the ignorance of the corrupted majority.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

Corrupt practices can be altered by one person. However, it is possible if the individual has the necessary attitude and strength. The most crucial thing is to persist in your efforts to persuade others to see their wrongdoing and stop it.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: The Fall From Grace by Michael Richardson

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

Personally, I do not believe that it is possible for a single individual to end corruption in an organisation. However, it is worth the try, and with dedication, it could be possible. A person could also try to slowly influence other members to join their fight for change in an organisation.
BruceP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brucep.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by BruceP »

Fighting corruption in an organization where man people are corrupt isn't easy. This is evident from this story. Giving up isn't a good decision. It is very possible for a single person to stop corruption in a huge organization. However, the person should be prepared to face challenges.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Living Intentionally by Viterose Van huis

Post by Mayang Bature »

Yes, depending on the person's position in the organization, they can stop corruption. In the case of Steve, though, he actually didn't succeed in stopping the corruption; the FBI did. Steve was a tremendous help, but without him, the FBI still would have cracked down on the police department's crimes.
Ratzone_El
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ratzone-el.html
Latest Review: 4th & Long: by Garrett M Stapleton

Post by Ratzone_El »

There are cases where one will need to leave the system. On one end, I think the effect of one's effort is dependent on the organisation's size. It is a difficult thing to change the tides and stop corruption in an organization, but I believe that it can be achieved.
Bettny Andrade
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

Definitely a single person can not stop corruption anywhere and even less a person who does not have any kind of experience or knowledge in anything, this is one of the things that did not convince me of the book. However, the fact that he only looks for a way, look for contacts, look for help, that seemed correct to me.
Ebere Mark Joe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-mark-joe.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Ebere Mark Joe »

It's not impossible to achieve that goal. And with Steve it's very possible. It just takes your determination and courage to achieve it.
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

I think a person has the ability to change an organization under certain circumstances. It can start with a single person, but it can’t end with a single person or else the efforts will be in vain.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”