Can a single person stop corruption in an organization?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Love on the Horizon by Emory Dillon

Re: Can a single person stop corruption in an organization?

Post by Mayang Bature »

Yes, depending on the person's position in the organization, they can stop corruption. In the case of Steve, though, he actually didn't succeed in stopping the corruption; the FBI did. Steve was a tremendous help, but without him, the FBI still would have cracked down on the police department's crimes.
Ratzone_El
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ratzone-el.html
Latest Review: 4th & Long: by Garrett M Stapleton

Post by Ratzone_El »

There are cases where one will need to leave the system. On one end, I think the effect of one's effort is dependent on the organisation's size. It is a difficult thing to change the tides and stop corruption in an organization, but I believe that it can be achieved.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

Definitely a single person can not stop corruption anywhere and even less a person who does not have any kind of experience or knowledge in anything, this is one of the things that did not convince me of the book. However, the fact that he only looks for a way, look for contacts, look for help, that seemed correct to me.
Ebere Mark Joe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-mark-joe.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Ebere Mark Joe »

It's not impossible to achieve that goal. And with Steve it's very possible. It just takes your determination and courage to achieve it.
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

I think a person has the ability to change an organization under certain circumstances. It can start with a single person, but it can’t end with a single person or else the efforts will be in vain.
Nerd_Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerd-chris.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Nerd_Chris »

It would be a difficult task but with determination and preparation, I believe one man could pull it off
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Uyo ojo Grace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyo-ojo-grace.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Uyo ojo Grace »

Although one person cannot eradicate corruption inside an organization, their efforts may inspire others to band together and do so.
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

It takes collective effort for corruption to be stopped in any system or organization. In any corrupt organization, there must be people who are benefiting from it. Therefore, if you try to stop corruption alone, your effort will be frustrated.
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

A way for a single person to stop corruption in an organization is by working his or her way to the top. Only then can the person have the authority to fight corruption effectively.
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:

Post by Amy Toria »

NancyDrew12 wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 14:41 I think a single person can change corruption. But I think the person has to have the right mindset and immense strength to do so. The most important thing would be to not give up and try to make others see the wrong their doing.
The right mindset is the least of the things the person should worry about. Even with the right mindset, it is easy for one's effort to be wasted by people on authority.
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:

Post by Amy Toria »

Caroline Elizabeth 1 wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 20:15 A single person cannot stop corruption in an organization but he can influence a few who can join him in fighting corruption which is always at a cost.
I find this to be true. There is strength in unity. If the person can form a group that is united for the course, the system will not be able to resist them for long.
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:

Post by Amy Toria »

JamesJaphet wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 01:50 I don't think the person should give up. At some point, some other people with a living conscience will see the need to join in advocating for a change in the system.
How long will a person fight corruption solo? It won't take long for him or her to tire. A wise thing to do is to influence other people who would join in the movement.
Michaeleedsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeleedsy.html

Post by Michaeleedsy »

Eliminating corruption entirely in an organization is not an easy task for a single human, but I think that if the right actions are taken, it will be possible. Steve tried his best to effect a significant amount of change.
D Accurate_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d-accurate-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by D Accurate_Reviewer »

Well, one person definitely can't stop corruption. If that person is not careful, he'd be dragged into corruption. But then, one person can always start the movement to stop corruption.
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

It coudl happen. But the necessary change comes from a grouo and not a single person. One could influence a group of people and therefore make a change.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”