Was Roxy's behavior justified?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Eruore Ekpoh
Favorite Book: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eruore-ekpoh.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Re: Was Roxy's behavior justified?

Post by Eruore Ekpoh »

Roxy's behavior is not justified in any situation. Although she decided to support him when he wanted to join the police force, and when things got tough, she bailed on him. In their relationship, things were not balanced. She was only more focused on herself and what steve had to offer and wasn't giving anything in return which was selfish.
Flora Posh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flora-posh.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Flora Posh »

Roxy's behavior was not justified at all. She should not have gotten Steve involved in that if she knew she could not take the heat. Well, what is done is done. Steve should not plot any revenge against her. He should move on.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
princejal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princejal.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by princejal »

Love is a fickle thing. I t can inspire, motivate and at the same time hurt, and cause pain. I don't blame Roxy for running and bailing on Steve when he needed her. Its just life and it happens. I do understand that Steve would feel a certain level of resentment or betrayal as to be fair Roxy was the one who set all this motion.
Candy1Candy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esraa-samy-1.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Candy1Candy »

Roxy's behavior was NOT justified; she actually started the whole thing and got Steve involved, he wouldn't have gone through all that if it wasnt for her, but later on it appeared that she was just driven by emotions back when she suggested taking a step. When Steve finally took a step and things started getting serious she was nothing but pressure most of the time: cheating on him (even if it was an accident); announcing that she needs to focus on studying all of a sudden; caring for her friends' opinions more than Steve, and so many other points. I actually only saw her supporting Steve just at the start and at the end.
Julia_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julia-review.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Julia_Review »

Even though the situation became unexpectedly complicated, she should have supported him instead of criticizing. It was their first challenge and they did not really communicate, but it is not irreparable.
“How small a thought it takes to fill a life.”
― Ludwig Wittgenstein
Chris Walter Mason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-walter-mason.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Chris Walter Mason »

Roxy's actions were not justified because he left Steve when he needed her most. Even if she didn't support her decision but she should have stood by him and encouraged him.
Joyjim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

Post by Joyjim »

Roxy had her legitimate reasons which were reasonable. Steve's life as a police officer; the late nights, drinking episodes, and so on made things uncomfortable for Roxy.
Sunil_Yadav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunil-yadav.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Sunil_Yadav »

Roxy's behaviour isn't justified in the book as she wasn't even a little bit considered about Steve. When her work was done she just left him and didn't even care about his life.
Demilade_001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-demilade-001.html
Latest Review: Agatha the Beloved Queen by Fred Pilcher

Post by Demilade_001 »

Jude Michael Zambarakji wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 07:24
Timothee22 wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 00:05 You cannot support your spouse and bail on them when things turn sour. Her action shows how unsupportive she is. Steve should never forgive her.
But Roxy and Steve were not married. They may have acted like a married couple, but they technically weren't married. I thought that Roxy's unsupportive behavior was justified because Steve would come home late at night drunk and interfere with her sleep, which could have had a negative impact on her studies and jeopardized her future career as a medical doctor.

I think the story was written in such a way that it failed to convince many readers that Roxy's unsupportive behavior toward Steve's decision to continue being a police officer was justified. I felt that the narrative would sometimes give flimsy or silly reasons for Roxy's negative and unsupportive attitude toward Steve's police work. For example, some of Steve's friends felt uncomfortable about the fact that he was a police officer, but the narrative establishes the fact that they have known Steve for years while he was at Brown University. Steve's friends should have realized from the fact that he never arrests them for marijuana possession that he is still largely the same person they have known for years and they should have been more supportive.
She could have talked to him about this, make him see reasons why his actions is affecting her. She was mostly bothered about people's opinion of Steve, then she capped it by sleeping with his friend which was not nice. She could have just walked away from the relationship the moment he joined the force.
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faisal-kurfi.html
Latest Review: Winners and Losers: by Arthur Hartz
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

While it is tempting to dive in and say her actions were not justified, I think it would be better to consider her side of things. She was still in college, finding herself. Agreed she prioritises her friends over her man, but they lived in a different world. Overall, her actions are somewhat justified.
Fome Ewhe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fome-ewhe.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Fome Ewhe »

I felt like things went over board when she cheated on him with his friend. Their relationship was strained because communication was overly lacking, I believe Steve failed on that part, but that's no excuse for what Roxy did. They would have been able to sort things out if Steve had made up his mind to really tell Roxy everything he was going through and I believe she would have understood. He would come home to her and she would give him strength to go out the next day and continue fighting. After I read about how she cheated, I was hurt for Steve. Personally I think cheating leaves a deep wound and can easily tear a healthy relationship, not to mention one that is already stressed out so much.
Roxy was not justified and I won't blame Steve for that, at the end of the day her choices are hers. Regardless, Steve was a major letdown when he failed to communicate properly, which probably started the whole thing. If he really believed he was doing things for her and them, she should have been made more aware of what he was really going through.
Bombasticsideeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-bereebera.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Post by Bombasticsideeye »

Roxy's behaviour was not justified. It was unfair and selfish. She always expected him to adjust to her wants and did not consider his feelings.
Dauria04
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

Her behaviour isn't justified, I understand that she felt uncomfortable with the situation but instead of keeping up with their relationship in that weird way, she should have broken up with him.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
IbrahimOtegbade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahimotegbade.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by IbrahimOtegbade »

I don't think it's Roxy's fault. She didn't understand all Steve was going through because he didn't tell her. She finally appreciated Steve's efforts at the end of the novel when the corruption in the police department was revealed. If Steve had told her, she would have done better.
Lilian Kikimoe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilian-kikimoe.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Lilian Kikimoe »

I do not blame Roxy for doing whatever she did. In this life I have been taught that the default setting is "every man for himself". Steve should just move on.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”