Was Roxy's behavior justified?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
jomana_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jomana-3.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Re: Was Roxy's behavior justified?

Post by jomana_3 »

Honestly, I didn't like her, and I believe she should've been more supportive. Instead, she kept telling him that he intimidated their friends. Also, it didn't seem like she really appreciated his efforts to stay with her and make her happy.
Boo_loves_books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boo-loves-books.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Boo_loves_books »

Thank you for this thought-provoking question. On one hand, I feel for Steve because he was determined to make a difference and build a better life for both of them. It was heartbreaking to read about her withdrawing support and creating distance in their relationship.

On the other hand, both of them had idealistic expectations of Steve's new position as an officer, and neither of them was prepared for the reality of how it would affect their everyday lives. I appreciate that she at least communicated her feelings to him instead of leaving him in the dark as to why she was withdrawing her support.

In an ideal narrative, she would have stuck by him all the way and been there to provide the mental and emotional support he need; however, in real life, sometimes you see the people you love change and it is difficult to support that change when it is harmful to you.
Fanny Lebura Ueh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fanny-lebura-ueh.html
Latest Review: Jason's Magic Journeys by Sylvia Hebden

Post by Fanny Lebura Ueh »

Roxy's actions were not at all justified. Steve even stood by her when she was having trouble with her mother and yet she just dumped him as soon as she saw her lifestyle of smoking dope and partying with her friends was going to be threatened
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: Asylum by Susy Smith

Post by khaulah »

Shakiera Reece wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 08:57 Steve wanted to join the police force and Roxy decided to stand by him. When the job got challenging, she decided to bail on him. Given that she was one of the reasons he joined the force, was her actions justified? What would you have done if you were in Steve's position?
I felt that Roxy wasn't supportive of Steve. It's basic in relationships that your partner should communicate when you see changes in the other person. If Steve didn't feel comfortable enough to share what was going on in his life with Roxy, maybe she didn't care enough.
Latest Review: Asylum by Susy Smith
reader ps
Currently Reading: Blue Collar Cash
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-ps.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Post by reader ps »

I don't think that Roxy was the reason Steve decided to join the force. I had the strong impression that he made the choice on his own. Roxy may have believed she could take it, but when confronted with the reality, she may have realized it was too much for her. She is not to blame because I don't think it is her fault.
Emmanuel Odoemena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-odoemena.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Emmanuel Odoemena »

Roxy's actions cannot be justified. She was wrong to have slept with Cal or attempted. For me, Steve was a saint. I understand that things were a bit rough between Steve and Roxy but if she wasn't the same way about him, she should just call off the relationship or try mending it.

I believe that her actions were totally wrong.
Maggie Johnson 2
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-johnson-2.html
Latest Review: Graham's Folly by Miguel Gutierrez

Post by Maggie Johnson 2 »

I do not think Roxy's behavior was justified. There is no excuse for her cheating on him, and if she wanted out of the relationship, she should have said so instead of just asking for space and stringing him along. However, I do think she was justified in wanting to end their relationship. I got the impression that Steve was much more invested in their relationship than she was. And just because she was part of the reason that Steve decided to stay in town and join the police force doesn't mean that she was obligated to stay with him. If I were in Steve's position, I would have let her go.
Don Elizabeth Sophia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-don-elizabeth-sophia.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Don Elizabeth Sophia »

Her actions were not justified. However, if I were Steve, I will move on with my life. There is no point in going after somebody who did not care about you.
Philp Luvington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philp-luvington.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Philp Luvington »

Her behavior was justified in a way. She had to leave and I understand that. If I were Steve, I will move on with my life.
BenjaminFrank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benjaminfrank.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by BenjaminFrank »

Her behavior was justified. What did you expect her to do? Stay when her life and wellbeing was threatened? If I were Steve, I'd be pained, but I'll continue with my life.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Agatha Bushguy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agatha-bushguy.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Agatha Bushguy »

Was her actions justified?
In a way, it was. You cannot tie someone down just because they were the reason you did what you did.

What would you have done if you were in Steve's position?
I was praying that they would break up and they did. If I were Steve, I would move on with my life.
Ochieng Stephen Owino
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-stephen-owino.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Ochieng Stephen Owino »

Roxy's actions are not justified. From the beginning, Steve sacrifices his dream to go to law school in order to stay with her as she claims he is the only one she's got. When the going gets tougj for Steve and he struggles to protect her, she jumps ship.
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

I think Roxy did not really have an obligation to stay in the relationship. Because they were still figuring life out, and she was passionate about her life. But, her actions were really not justified. It would have been better if she just broke things up. She was just leaving Steve hanging. I wonder if she could have tried getting Steve to open up more.
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

I think Roxy was selfish. Is it a crime to be selfish? I think not. Is it noble to be selfless...of course yes...selfless people are the ones that keep the world going. Even though she had a huge influence on Steve’s career path, at the end she picked what mattered to her the most...herself.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

Not at all. Roxy's action was not justified because she should have considered the odds before he joined the force and expect all that happened to happen but NO she just started pulling out when she wasn't enjoying how things were going and because it wasn't to her favour

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”