Was Roxy's behavior justified?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Was Roxy's behavior justified?

Post by Kavita Shah »

Steve joined with Roxy's support. He took part in the actual process while Roxy was not informed. They both were living in their life spheres and the real-world changed their dynamics. I think Roxy's bailing out looks bad and Steve was hurt by it so it was not justified. But somewhere it had to happen.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

I didn't really get the sense that Steve joined the force because of Roxy. I really felt like it was his own decision to do so. It seemed that she didn't really feel comfortable with him being in the police force since he was on "the other side" of the protests. So perhaps my interpretation of the book was different.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Horlarmidey Harkinolah
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horlarmidey-harkinolah.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Horlarmidey Harkinolah »

Her behavior was not justified in any way. Knowing fully well why Steve joined the force, the sacrifices he made just to be with her, she shouldn't have bailed. And the fact that her friends matter more to her than Steve is a red flag. I believe one should support his or her partner always. Roxy was supposed to have his back.
Margaret Johnston 1
Currently Reading: These Sacred Lands
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by Margaret Johnston 1 »

Reading some of these posts, a lot of them make it sound like Steve and Roxy were married, as far as I remember they were not, they were college students. I believe they were boyfriend and girlfriend. Steve wanted to run the decision by Roxy to see what she thought if he wanted to be a cop, to try to make a difference.
Zand13
Currently Reading: Life, Loss and Love
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zand13.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Zand13 »

Her actions were unjustifiable. Considering that Steve really cared about her thoughts and views. He initially was inspired by her to make a change within his society. However, when things got tough, she was not there to fully offer support to him. Rather she concentrated on other people's thoughts and judgements. Which further damaged their relationship. She seems very self-serving.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

It wasn't justifed
Gabriella H
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

I feel we all have our lives to live, and we're responsible for ensuring we do what's best for us cause no one else will always do what's best for us, no matter how much they want to or claim they will. Sometimes their emotions will get in the way, or they'll make decisions based on what they can see or know, which won't be the full picture. She had her emotional load to unpack, and she was responsible for doing what she felt was best for her, but she treated Steve cruelly and came off as a hypocrite. She was impulsive and not straightforward with him. If I were Steve, I wouldn't have put my future on the line in the first place.
Ola Aina 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-aina-2.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Ola Aina 2 »

No, that's not justifiable at all. When everything is tough for your man, you stay by him, not zoom off. That's not supportive at all.
Bezekasia23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bezekasia23.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Bezekasia23 »

No, Toxy's actions were not justified. He became a policeman because of her, and she was selfish. She put her interests and that of her friends before Steve.
Onyiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyiny.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Onyiny »

Roxy’s behavior cannot be justified. She should’ve stood by him through thick and thin. If we had a flip picture, Steve would have stood by her. He was always there for her. She bailed when it got challenging and that was unfair
Ophiohonren Hiram
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ophiohonren-hiram.html
Latest Review: Symposium of the Reaper by Andrew Adams

Post by Ophiohonren Hiram »

In simple terms, things were hard and complicated, but she dropped the bat and missed the swing. Her cheating on him was the height of it and that cancels out all of her reasons or whatever. In my opinion, she was wrong, for cheating, totally wrong and it doesn't even help me consider her circumstances.
Cherrie Rosaldo
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Favorite Book: David's Sling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrie-rosaldo.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Cherrie Rosaldo »

Communication is a must in a relationship. Steve must open to Roxy what's really going in the police department so Roxy could understand him and stay by his side.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

Her behavior is not justified. When will you offer assistance if you can't help the person you say you love when they're in need? She was more preoccupied with her friends' opinions. In the end, Steve found it difficult to talk to her about his struggles at work.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

Her behavior is not appropriate. When will you offer assistance if you can't help the person you say you love when they're in need? She was more preoccupied with her friends' opinions. In the end, Steve found it difficult to talk to her about his struggles at work.
Mayang Bature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Love on the Horizon by Emory Dillon

Post by Mayang Bature »

Roxy believed she could manage Steve joining the force and all the problems that came with it. She later told him that it was too much for her. In her own way, she was attempting to rescue her friendships and potentially her boyfriend's life. When Steve would not give her wish, she began to withdraw. That behavior, in my perspective, was selfish yet warranted. She chose Steve's life and their friendship, expecting that by separating herself, Steve would come to his senses and behave the way she desired.

Yes, that was selfish, but at the same time justifiable..

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”