Weird Relationship Dynamic; Was Steve Throwing His Life Away for Roxy?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Kelly Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-peter.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Re: Weird Relationship Dynamic; Was Steve Throwing His Life Away for Roxy?

Post by Kelly Peter »

Steve was afraid of losing Roxy, so he was ready to do anything just to win her love no matter what it will cause him.
Peace Eze
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-eze.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Peace Eze »

I feel Steve was always considering Roxy before making any decisions. So it is safe to say, that Steve was throwing his life for Roxy.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Doomsday Clock by Mark Pearson

Post by Bettny Andrade »

In my opinion Steve had a bright future and he only changed to be in line with Roxy's ideals. He was emotionally dependent on her, always seeking her approval.
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Post by Amanda Warner »

Yes, I think Steve was throwing his life away because of Roxy, who cared less for him, or to me, didn't give him as much love as he deserved. Despite putting law school on hold and joining the Province Police Department to stay with Roxy, that was even enough for her, and that even interfered with their relationship.
Prodigy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prodigy5.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Prodigy5 »

I think that Steve is a selfless person and loved Roxy, but he has to consider himself and do things that will make him genuinely happy.
Ignesta Ignetius
Currently Reading: A Dream for Peace
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ignesta-ignetius.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Ignesta Ignetius »

Steve sure made the decision to join the police so he could stay with Roxy, not necessarily out of love but out of pity, being that he's the closest to what he has as family. Subsequently, he stayed back even he found out she cheated on him, because he wanted to make a difference in the PD. At the end, it was his decision make so I don't think he threw away his life for Roxy.
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

I concur that Roxy dominates Steve's decisions throughout the most of the novel. I believe that his initial choice to remain in Providence without any personal direction is potentially risking his life. Nonetheless, I believe Steve is standing up for himself when he discovers his own purpose, even if it is connected to Roxy's ideas. I don't see anything wrong with Steve sticking to his moral principles, which coincide with Roxy's. Steve's belief that she will love him more if he does this or that she will realize that he did all for her is excessive, in my opinion. If someone will only love you if you agree with what they believe in, then they won't love you otherwise.
Ajibola Gabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajibola-gabriel.html
Latest Review: The Vitality System by Kyle Gonzalez

Post by Ajibola Gabriel »

At a point I wondered is Roxy was really in love with Steve. He was making all the sacrifices and Roxy couldn’t even understand his intention with the police. He did it for two reasons. He wanted to fight corruption and wait for her to be done with school. I expected her to support him in his decision. It was a weird relationship for me.
Harry Benjamin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harry-benjamin.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Harry Benjamin »

I also felt the same. Steve made a lot of decisions just to please Roxy. So I will agree with you on this.
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Army Life by Darryl Jefferson

Post by Sheen Jenny »

I also felt like the dynamic was not balanced. It felt as if he was putting her above his own dreams and aspirations which is an error.
In a relationship,no one should pause there life for the other . Although In this book,Steve made decisions on his own but Roxy influenced some of those Decisions

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”