Weird Relationship Dynamic; Was Steve Throwing His Life Away for Roxy?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Effie Cherotich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-effie-cherotich.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Re: Weird Relationship Dynamic; Was Steve Throwing His Life Away for Roxy?

Post by Effie Cherotich »

First of all, Steve was not as ambitious as Roxy. Steve had initially chosen to go to law school because of 2 main reasons: to please his father and because he felt he didn't have anything else to do. He did not care much about the fancy life that he would have gotten from a good law career. He was more interested in making the world a better place. That is why when he was challenged to join the police to change the system, he could not resist the opportunity. Moreover, Roxy wasn't totally supportive of the idea of Steve joining the police department. Working at the police department was deeply rooted in him. He was definitely determined to accomplish his mission there. Yes, Steve did make some decisions about his career in alignment with Roxy's life such as choosing the location of law school. However, it is very clear that he did not choose Providence PD over law school because of Roxy.
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

Honestly, I felt Steve was throwing his life away for Roxy at different points in the book. As a friend, I would've advised him to go to law school. If not for anything, but the fact that he would be better equipped to fight the corruption and defend those trampled upon by the Providence PD than as a cop subordinate to the corrupt higher-ups in the force. At least, as a lawyer, he wouldn't have had to endure as much of their bullying even though it gave him insider access. Plus, it didn't sit right with me that Roxy was pursuing her dream while she encouraged him to remain with her at the expense of his going to law school, then proceeded to get on his case for being a cop and even had the nerve to turn on him. Well, at least he was able to uncover something and get some corrupt people arrested.
Kendrixxavier18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendrixxavier18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Kendrixxavier18 »

I think Steve really wanted to go to the Police Department because of his zeal to make a change. But he stills adds Roxy in mind as decided to make up his mind on staying with her finally.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I think Steve was definitely throwing his life away for Roxy, and although she didn't ask for this, she also didn't tell him not to until the very last moment. I believe their entire relationship is reflected in this situation.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Cherrie Rosaldo
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Favorite Book: David's Sling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrie-rosaldo.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Cherrie Rosaldo »

I think it is Steve's decision to join the police force. Roxy is appalled but supported him. They are growing to be mature man and woman. It's natural to grow apart and drift apart but they still find their way back to each other. They might agree to disagree on many things but that's part of relationship dynamic.
Bombasticsideeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-bereebera.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Post by Bombasticsideeye »

If Steve we're my friend I would advise him to follow his dreams and do what makes him happy and not try to bend backwards to please someone else. However if pleasing Roxy is what completes him, then he can go right ahead.
Nessa Taylor
Favorite Author: Charles Townsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nessa-taylor.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale
fav_author_id: 232651

Post by Nessa Taylor »

I don't feel like he threw his life away for her. It's true that a lot of decisions he made were centered around his love for her, but he decided to join Providence PD for himself. He believed in what he was doing and fought for it.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

In the beginning, I read Steve as a determined fellow without a goal to work towards. At the start of the book, his only goal in life was to love Roxy and be there for her, but later on, he found himself gravitating toward creating a difference in his surrounding, however difficult that may be. When things got tough in Police Academy, he still didn't give up until he brought a change.
Izzy Kruger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izzy-kruger.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Thomas Alfie

Post by Izzy Kruger »

I think the statement "throwing his life away" is quite harsh. Unfortunately in any relationship there are 2 people, with different dreams and ambitions through their lives. Thus there will always be a necessary amount of compromise. And the fact that he didn't even go and study law after quiting the police force shows that it wasn't really his dream.
Oluchii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ne-thewriter.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluchii »

Steve was actually throwing his life away for Roxy, he put his plans for law school on hold to be close to her, but she on the other hand pursued her dreams to be a doctor.
Niyi Briggs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niyi-briggs.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Niyi Briggs »

I won't really fault Steve. There are sacrifices you make for love. Some people even go to the extent of pausing their own lives for the people they love. He might have staked too much of his pursuit for Roxy. I believe everything done for love is worth it.
Claire Twy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

I felt that most, if not all, of Steve's decisions were entered around Roxy and pleasing her. She was his whole life, and even when he found out he was cheating, he blamed himself for it and willingly took her back. If I were really his friend, I would advise the noble idiot to live his own life and make his own decisions. I would encourage him to realise his own self-worth and not do things just to please a girl.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I think it might have started that way in the beginning, but Steve pulled himself through in the end while everything and everyone was against him. He continued to be consistent in his choice to make a difference any way he can by being directly involved, instead of just moving on with his life and his original plans to go to law school.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

I don't think was throwing his life away for Roxy. He made his decisions factoring her into consideration. But I do agree on a very imbalanced power dynamic between the two.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

I don't think he was throwing his life away for Roxy. I do not see how his actions benefited Roxy.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”