War Literature Discussion

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Radhika Nair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-nair.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

War Literature Discussion

Post by Radhika Nair »

How does this book compare to other war literature you are familiar with? For my part, this book struck a chord in me, evoking memories of reading The Iliad and Gone With the Wind. It also makes me want to read Farewell to Arms and The Red Badge of Courage, books I know only by name. Suggestions and recommendations for media that criticizes war will be received with joy.
Oluchii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ne-thewriter.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluchii »

I have read a lot of war literature but this one was quite different, it stared a lot of memories and I felt the pain of the victims cut up in the war
Phil Akor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phil-akor.html
Latest Review: Why Does Government Need to be Funded? by Amphidromus

Post by Phil Akor »

I have read war books that I cannot remember but this is quite different. The other books gave an account of the war, whereas this one is totally against the war.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

This was unique because the people did not want to fight. Other war books just give accounts of the war and not really anything like this one.
Johulings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johulings.html
Latest Review: The Mars Debacle by Mark Dean Stratus

Post by Johulings »

One of my all time favorite books that shows the dark side of war and has heavy criticism is the Tattooist of Auschwitz.
Noor ul Ain 3
Currently Reading: FINAL ACT
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Noor ul Ain 3 »

I will suggest that you also read Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi, Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark T. Sullivan, The Dust That Falls from Dreams by Louis de Bernières, and Girl at War by Sara Nović. Not all of these pertain to the WWs but I am always amazed to read how the human suffering and the trajectory of war remains the same whether it is fought between two tribes, two countries, or two halves of the world.
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruthwriter »

It makes me remember the tears of the sun and the American Revolution. These books are all about war too, with people's voices echoing to heaven as regards their rights.
princejal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princejal.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by princejal »

Im not really a fan of war literature and I think this was my first war book.
Valeria Rotaru
Currently Reading: Of Human Bondage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-rotaru.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valeria Rotaru »

I read both the Iliad and Farewell to Arms. I only watched Gone with the Wind. To me Gone with the Wind is one of the best movie adaptions for war themed movies and books. Farewell to Arms is also great, but it is more of a romanticized drama between the main character and his girlfriend. Gone with the Wind expresses more aptly the tragedies of the war. The Iliad portrays the Trojan War, which was a mythological war, meaning not real. If you want to read a book that focuses more on the actual things that happened on the front, I suggest you read All Quiet on the Western Front by Enrich Maria Remarque.
Aarya Gondkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarya-gondkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Aarya Gondkar »

Hi Radhika! I haven't read many books with the main theme of war, but I have two suggestions for you, that are related to the Hindu epics of Mahabharat and Ramayan. Don't worry, they are not extremely religious or anything, but they focus instead on the women affected in the famous epics whose husbands are glorified in the wars. Hence, it shows how war affects people other than its heroes, specifically from the wives' point of view. 'The Palace Of Illusions' and 'The Forest Of Enchantment' both by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. Hope you like them!
"Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."-roald dahl
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

I haven't read any war literature other than this one, and this too is not quite about the war. It rather depicts the extensive effects of the war on people far and wide. After reading this book, I may read Gone with the Wind, although I do know the story.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

It's focus on citizens and civilians in a time of war and not just on the soldiers was very fresh and welcome.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

Other war books just give accounts of the war and not really anything like this one.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

NE_thewriter wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 02:34 I have read a lot of war literature but this one was quite different, it stared a lot of memories and I felt the pain of the victims cut up in the warehouse r
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 608
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 28%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I've read a lot of war literature, but there is a difference between novels that depict the horrors of war on the front lines (War and Peace; The Naked and the Dead; For Whom the Bell Tolls) to those that deal with war on the homefront, such as this novel. Often, the effects of war, as in The Sun Also Rises, can be devastating as they highlight the aftermath of war's terrors on the main characters and their behavior. This book falls in between, but it is no less effective, especially given the depiction of the Kent State killings.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”