Is Steve making his own decisions?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Silvia Pearl
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvia-pearl.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Is Steve making his own decisions?

Post by Silvia Pearl »

I got that feeling too. If Roxy wasn't in the picture he might have gone to law school and chosen a different path. As Roxy is the one who compelled him to join in the protests and to do something to make a difference. He's trying to impress Roxy with his decisions but, I don't think he understood her well.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

When we've pictured a life with someone, it's difficult to make decisions without including them in those plans. This is what love can do to a person. While I believe that Steve's decisions were hugely influenced by his life with Roxy, I do not fault him for it.
Agbugba Chinedu Leslie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbugba-chinedu-leslie.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Agbugba Chinedu Leslie »

Shandre Michaels wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 15:42 I think all of us are responsible for making our own decisions. That being said, Steve was greatly influenced by his attachment to Roxy which resulted in his decisions being tainted.
Love can do that to a man. Leave you without any ideas and dependent on someone else.
Amanda simmon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-simmon.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amanda simmon »

It’s impossible to not give credit to Roxy for influencing the decisions made by Steve because majority of Steve’s decisions revolves around Roxy and her perspective of good and bad. Though his resolve and determination would prove that he might have been doing it of his own will.
Shishi Muthii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shishi-muthii.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Shishi Muthii »

The answer is yes and no. Steve joins the police force because he wants to make changes that would otherwise be hard to do if he was a lawyer. He also considers his proximity to Roxy as he works as a policeman as a positive. So she weighs heavily in his decision to become a policeman too.
Pyagbara Gbenedum Daniel Justice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pyagbara-gbenedum-daniel-justice.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Pyagbara Gbenedum Daniel Justice »

BENARD ACHUKU wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 23:28 I don't think Steve made decisions because he always thought what would Roxy think. If the idea was not welcomed by Roxy then he would drop it. I feel he was more of a prisoner than a partner.
I agree with you. Steve could’ve made it to law school but he was a slave to Rosy’s will.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Love on the Horizon by Emory Dillon

Post by Mayang Bature »

Roxy had a big influence on his decisions, but in the end, it was Steve who made them. The fact that he chose to stay in the force despite Roxy's best efforts to persuade him to leave demonstrates that he is capable of making his own decisions. After she started pulling away, the plan to start gathering evidence for his research was all his, with just his conscience acting as a guide. Finally, it was officer Durk's pep talk, along with waiting for Roxy to finish school, that inspired him to join the force in the first place, and not just his girlfriend.
Ashna Tibrewal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Ashna Tibrewal »

Steve was making his own decision to stay with rozy even if it meant to go protests, police school. If she wasn't in picture, he might have gone to law school only.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

All his actions are guided by a desire to please her

Yes, I totally agree with this. Steve was manipulated by Roxy; However, from my point of view, Roxy, she did not do it on purpose, she always knew what she wanted and was firm in her decisions, but Steve was like a shadow taking Roxy's ideals as his own to always be in the favor of her
Joy Quaye
Favorite Book: Growth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-quaye.html
Latest Review: The Evolutionite Chronicles Book 2: Dagger and Shadow Ninja in: Welcome to Las Vegas by Timothy P. Callahan

Post by Joy Quaye »

I feel Steve was just trying to do all he can to please Roxy. He loved her, he can't be blamed for that. He was never involved with protests but he started because of Roxy. Even his decision to join the Providence police force was because he wanted Roxy to see him as a hero
Nerd_Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerd-chris.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Nerd_Chris »

Most of the decision made by Steve was for Roxy. He kept trying to impress her without actually understanding her. I guess that's what love can do.
Nerd_Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerd-chris.html

Post by Nerd_Chris »

Most of the decision made by Steve was for Roxy. He kept trying to impress her without actually understanding her. I guess that's what love can do.
Peace Ella 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Peace Ella 1 »

I believe that everyone of us is in charge of choosing our own decisions. That so, Steve's judgments were contaminated because of how much Roxy meant to him and how that bond affected him.
Uyo ojo Grace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyo-ojo-grace.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Uyo ojo Grace »

I believe that everyone of us is in charge of choosing our own decisions. That so, Steve's judgments were contaminated because of how much Roxy meant to him and how that bond affected him.
Michaeleedsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeleedsy.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Michaeleedsy »

To be honest, most of his actions in the story were inspired by Roxy's desire. He joined the police force because of what she said, and he dropped out of law school because he did not want to lose her. But I also think there was this part of Steve that also wanted to take the actions he took.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”