Profanity in the Book

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Gavice Victoria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Re: Profanity in the Book

Post by Gavice Victoria »

Avidreader888 wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 09:33 The novel was heavy on profanity, but I feel that based on the youthfulness of the characters, it wasn't so out of place. I guess every author has their style and the intent here was to keep the readers on par with the young characters.
I agree with this. If it is a character of a younger age that uses such profane words, that is where the problem lies. But since the characters in the book are adults, in my opinion, it is okay for the author to use profane words if he wishes.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:

Julia_Review wrote: 31 Aug 2022, 12:14 It made the reading experience less pleasant. It was not out of place; some people really talk like that. But I do not think the book would lose something without the profanity.
Yeah, the book might not lose something without the profane words, but it will be deficient of the style of the author. I think it kind of sets the author apart. As you said, some people talk like that.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:

Lisa Grimaldi wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 22:07 I think in order to make a realistic story about the Vietnam war and how people felt, the author needed to include the feel of the country at that time. There was drug use, there was sexual freedom, and there was profanity used as a reaction to strong feelings. I think that taking away the profanity would have taken away from the realism of the story. People in that era were defined by speaking their truth and freedom of speech.
This is so true! In war situations, and cases where there are protests and police brutality, you will find different people with different emotions. Using profane words is one of the ways that these people can express themselves in such unpleasant situations.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:

princejal wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 01:33 Its a book with mostly teenage and long adult characters. At that point in their lives, profanity would be a regular thing, embedded into their speech patterns so no the profanity was not troubling to me. I t added an air or realism to the book.
That's what I think too. The way the characters express themselves goes a long way making the story realistic. In the book, the characters could express themselves well and they had flaws. The use of profane words even made the story more realistic.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:

Ochieng Stephen Owino wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 11:11 I'm very sorry that you feel that, but in a way; the profanity ultimately fits the plot and era of the book. There is crime, policing and students and in my honest opinion, these groups of people are prone to profanity. No offense.
As a matter of fact, in a setting where students are involved, especially college students, it will be hard for you not to hear one or more profane words. Young people of that age tend to express themselves all the time with profane words!
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:

Esraa Samy 1 wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 04:07 I guess the usage of so much profanity was just because that's how it was in the era the book took place. Then again, it was over-used, too; I didn't think it was necessary to use it out of the dialogues, at some point it really got annoying, but I was so disturbed by the adult scenes to give much attention to the profanity, they were also over-used somehow and made it a very HEAVY read for me I finished the book in more time than expected. I seriously hope Peter S. Rush fixes that in his future books.
Now that I am beginning to give it much thought, I even agree that the use of profane words has something to do with the time the book was set in. For the adult content part, I think it was necessary to fully express the romance between the characters.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 10:33 I understand that some people are especially sensitive to profanity. I don't use swear words in my daily life. But in this case, I think it makes the dialogues believable. "Super-macho" cops, such as Steve's colleagues probably would've spoken that way.
Same applies to me. I don't use profane words in my daily life. I avoid it greatly when I speak. But that doesn't mean that it bothers me when I see it in a book. It kind of adds to the quality of the story and shows that Peter Rush is distinct from many other writers due to his style.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:

praise nwaogazie wrote: 01 Sep 2022, 01:14 The number of profanity in the book didn't quite bother me. The characters and storylines were all compelling to make a reader continue reading. And as such, I was left with no choice but to enjoy the masterpiece.
Same applies to me. The profane words used in the book didn't bother me at all. I have some things that bothered me, such as the way the author transits to different scenes. The profanities were the least of my problems.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

Given the setting of the book, the topics discussed in the book and the fact that the book mirrored the average youth life, it's not a surprise that the book contains a good amount of profane words.
Blessing Otuokere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Blessing Otuokere »

The author was merely attempting to make the novel as realistic as possible, in my opinion, and I appreciated the book and gave it a high rating. The profanities were based on situations and the characters adhering to the plot.
Unique Mary Iloakasia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-mary-iloakasia.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Unique Mary Iloakasia »

It made reading less pleasant. I understand why it was used, it's because of the era the book was set in.
Monkeymoney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monkeymoney.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Monkeymoney »

Well, I didn't really find any issue with the profanity. Yes, it was heavy, but I felt it aligns with the time and the event at hand. So I felt it all fit in.
Odindi Omo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odindi-omo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Odindi Omo »

I think the profanity was just what the book needed. It showed power in words, as in, with all the violence in the book the words have to be strong.
Kelly Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-peter.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Kelly Peter »

Profanity in the book somehow bothered me when reading the book but I found out that I suited the characters in the book.
Peace Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-eze.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Peace Eze »

The profanity in the book is highly rated. But it is okay and it doesn’t change my overall rating of the book.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”