Profanity in the Book

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Re: Profanity in the Book

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I really did not mind the profanities used in the book, but what bothered me was the use of a racial slur. It made me hate the book on another level. That was something I did not expect to happen.
reeds_n_reads
Currently Reading: final acts
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reeds-n-reads.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by reeds_n_reads »

Radhika Nair wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 05:18 Was anyone else thoroughly disturbed by the excessive amount of profanity in this book? It was so bad it made me start wondering at the appropriateness of making this book BOTM. It also left a bad aftertaste. And yet it was compelling enough that I read it. I don't know what to make of that.🤦🏾
I am not bother by the profanity; although I would not recommend it to minors, as an adult I think I can handle profanity. It is nothing new to me. Not in the least.
Duwire Banda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duwire-banda.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Duwire Banda »

Although I found the profanity repulsive, I think profanity is an everyday phenomenon so it shouldn't be a reason to exclude it on the BOTM.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

I for one wasn't bothered at all by the profanities in this book. I have read books a lot worse than this, athough few readers would not be appealed by this book
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Zainab Wasif »

Yeah, they could have skipped it at some places.
Agbata Precious 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious-1.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Agbata Precious 1 »

Although the profanity in this book was a bit off the line, I did not find it to be disturbing.
readingswithsoso
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingswithsoso.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by readingswithsoso »

I feel the same way. My problem with it was that the sex scenes would start abruptly and once they ended the story moved on as if nothing happened. It felt out of context for the most part.
Plus, the over-sexualization of women by the narrator gave it poor taste. When describing a women's clothes they would say how revealing and fitting it was. When describing a men's clothes they would say.. he was wearing a sporty shirt and a t-shirt!! This fact made the reading of the sex scenes even more uncomfortable for me. This was the main reason why I deducted one start on my review.
Agbata Precious 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious-1.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Agbata Precious 1 »

Well, I wasn't disturbed by the profanity because this category of a book usually has a lot of profane words. But it can be disturbing to other readers.
Claire Twy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

I don't think it was that much? Like the f word was sprinkled here and there, but I've definitely seen and heard much worse.
Black Gem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-gem.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Black Gem »

Honestly, I had no problem with the level of profanity in the book. It was compelling as you mentioned, and not in the least disturbing.
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Wash William »

For me I loves books that are not written out of restrictions. I enjoyed the profanity it made the book seem more real.
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

I think its okay that we are drawn to different things the same way we find offense in different things. But personally I found it as a way of portraying reality, to how most people speak. Despite how one may complain about it in a book or talk show but in reality there are so many people who use such language as normal and we are used to it. I personally did not have a problem with it, more especially because it was between characters.
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Dalia Chf »

profanity is something that usually turns me off from any read, but especially when is profanity directed towards God or Jesus (I'm not even christian, I'm just very religious), and sadly it's something you find in way too many books. does this book have this kind of profanity?
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I think the type and amount of profanity fit the time this story is set in and with the youthfulness of the characters. Usually with heightened emotions, profanity accompanies. Also, with the racial content and criminal behavior, I also thinks it fits and follows the pattern.
MarxDagger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marxdagger.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by MarxDagger »

I suppose Rush could have written the whole of Wild World without a single cuss word, but I think that would have made the story feel less realistic and less dramatic. It's quite normal for people to swear in real life when they encounter emotionally stressful and traumatizing situations. If this was a Christian drama, I think everyone would have used wholesome language to express their frustrations with the government and the law, but that would have been a very unrealistic depiction of how a real-life police officer would behave in the student protest era of the 70s.

For some reason, Christians and maybe people from other religions are very much against the use of swear words, but I can't figure out why. If you happen to be religious, please explain why you are generally opposed to the use of profanity even in dramatic works of fiction.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”