Was Steve successful as a police officer?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Philip Mahlangu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-mahlangu.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Re: Was Steve successful as a police officer?

Post by Philip Mahlangu »

He was successful in that he managed to stop the people he thought were the problem. But I had a lot of issues with how silent he wad when police did bad things in front of him.
Missing Person
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-zambarakji.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Missing Person »

I think Steve was only partially successful as a police officer. If Steve didn't have to quit in order to maintain his physical safety and emotional well-being then I think he would have become a more successful police officer over time. Steve managed to provide some evidence to the FBI implicating many police officers and some government officials in a corruption scandal, and I think that was proof that he was successful to some degree as a police officer. I was disappointed by the fact that his investigations into police corruption didn't take up a much larger part of the narrative. I would have liked to have seen him directly risk his life and his livelihood to uncover police corruption.
Claire Twy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

Depends how you term success. Was he successful as a police officer in the way the system wanted him to be? Definitely not. Was he successful in being the change he wanted to bring about? Partially. He didn't completely manage to eradicate all the corruption, but he took a big step towards it by compiling information and getting many officers arrested. He went to the root of the problem and yes, there is still much to be done, but to a certain extent, he did what he set out to do.
Eniola24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eniola24.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Eniola24 »

Steve would have loved to be successful, but the system in place very much frustrated him that he felt he could not change the rotten system.
Bombasticsideeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-bereebera.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Post by Bombasticsideeye »

Yes. I believe Steve turned out to be good police officer. He was brave and did not accept to be bullied. He also was not afraid to stand up for the vulnerable.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I think Steve wanted to do a lot more, but in the end, he did accomplish change and ended corruption in the police department.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Hemant Sharma
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hemant-sharma.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Hemant Sharma »

I do think he was successful in what he wanted to do, that is, stop corruption and police brutality as much as he could, but I also feel like he was not satisfied with himself at the end. I think he wanted to do more but released his lack of power.
Margaret Johnston 1
Currently Reading: These Sacred Lands
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by Margaret Johnston 1 »

Steve joined the Police Force, because he wanted to help make a difference, but what he found he did not like. He stayed 2 years and then resigned because he found too much corruption among the police. Before he resigned he got a lot of evidence together to turn in and left altogether to teach school in another country. So he wouldn't be involved.
readingswithsoso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingswithsoso.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by readingswithsoso »

He certainly had a rough path. Maybe he was not successful overall. After all, it took him a long time to adjust to being an honest cop, and right when he did something incredible he left his job. However, I think he was successful in the end.
Agbata Precious 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious-1.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Agbata Precious 1 »

Well even before he joined he made up his mind to stop corruption and he suffered before he could even stop it
Oluchii
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ne-thewriter.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluchii »

Yes,he was a successful police officer. He was able to accomplish what he joined the police force for.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I think he was surprised by how challenging it was to stay on his set course and how easy it would have been to stray the line, but in the end, he did prevail and make a difference, although he didn't stay in the end to see it for himself.
MarxDagger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marxdagger.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by MarxDagger »

I think Rush made it a bit ambiguous as to how successful Steve was in curbing corruption at the Providence Police Department. The details of the corruption he uncovered were purposefully vague, and quitting immediately after having given the FBI recordings and cash-filled envelopes of recorded bribes brings into question what the consequences of staying in the police department could have been. I think the story would have been a lot more exciting if risked his life by staying in the police department even after having given the FBI all those scandalous details about the Providence police.

I vaguely remember some arrests and investigations into some government officials delivered as exposition at the end of the Wild World. So, I think Steve was somewhat successful in his mission. He didn't completely clean up the Providence Police Department, but he did uncover some amount of corruption. His success would have seemed far greater if most of the story's plot centered around one complex police corruption scandal and if he remained on the police force even after having reported some corrupt police activities to the FBI.
Setshego Motsilinyane
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-setshego-motsilinyane.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Setshego Motsilinyane »

Yes his a successful police officer he exposed corruption and corrupt police.
Sydney Ash
Currently Reading: Where the Crawdads Sing
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-ash.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Sydney Ash »

I think this book is filled with controversial and challenging decisions for Steve. He faced so many situations in which his decision would end up affecting someone negatively. I judge a "successful" police officer as someone who consistently does the right thing for society, regardless of if the people in charge approve. I believe Steve tried his best to always be ethical and a good person.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”