Is Steve a hipocrite?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Re: Is Steve a hipocrite?

Post by Chandelier Eden »

I don't think so... I believe this question is as a result of him covering up his friends from time to time. I just believe he was a guy caught in a confusing web.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

That's something that I did not like about Steve's characters. Turning a blind eye to smoking drugs shouldn't be taken lightly as he did.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Frankline Nyatemu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frankline-nyatemu.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Frankline Nyatemu »

Since steve's action to help Roxy was within the state law, his action should not be considered hypocritical.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

To me, steve is not a hypocrite. In the case of him releasing Roxy from jail, that is what everyone will do in that situation, just because your loved one disobeys the rule you will not just leave her alone with her problem in the name of obeying the rule. Also in the case of his friends, they are all together before he joins the police force, he will not just ignore them, and we can see that he even advises them sometimes to be careful of their bad behavior.
Black Gem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-gem.html

Post by Black Gem »

Eruore Ekpoh wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 12:20 Steve was somewhat of a hypocrite. He had continuously turned a blind eye to his friend's illegal activities. He didn't want to impose on them as he feared it would only make them more uncomfortable around him, and he would eventually lose them.
Yes, I agree with you. He turned a blind eye to Roxy using drugs and to his brother, Tony who was a drug dealer. I think this is hypocrisy.
Uriel David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uriel-david.html

Post by Uriel David »

I think it is a bit harsh to call him a hypocrite because he tried to do good. However, bending the law in their favor is not characteristic of individuals who abide by the law and intend to get others to do the same. I'd say he was biting more than he could chew.
Uriel David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uriel-david.html

Post by Uriel David »

Eva Nyaburi wrote: 28 Aug 2022, 12:40 I don't think he was a hypocrite because he just wanted to fit in with his pals. I could see that he was uncomfortable with what his friends were doing but also was afraid that he would lose them. Like everyone else, he was just human and could not do everything perfectly.
There's no way he would take on corruption by trying to fit in a corrupt organization. Also, being uncomfortable by something alone cannot mend it. I wouldn't call him a hypocrite in light of his trying to do good, but by trying to fit in, he abandoned his purpose.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

Wrong is wrong. Roxy was wrong she should have faced the consequences, Steve helping her just added to the fact that she thought she could still do what she want. In that sense, Steve was a hypocrite. If you think about what he set out to do he should have been more careful not to give the rest of the police force ammunition against him. He should have left her there and finished what he started, especially because she also jeopardized his work by bringing her friend over to smoke weed in his apartment.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Proof Readar »

I will say Steve is a hipocrate. The position he held needs him to have high level accountability and he should uphold the law. But he goes ahead committing breaches he is to force against.
Chris Don Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-don-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chris Don Nwaka »

Steve, in my opinion, exhibited some hypocrisy. He had consistently kept his eyes closed to his friend's wrongdoing. He was afraid that imposing would simply make them feel uneasy around him and that he would eventually lose them.
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

Steve may not seen like a perfect character, but he's a good person. He still stood for what is right, let's not forget that.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

I don't think Steve is a hypocrite, his action is justified. There is an adage that goes "A friend in need is a friend indeed". I would do the same if I was in Steve's shoes.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
James Fx
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-fx.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by James Fx »

As expected of a teenager, we all want to fit in. He did it so his friends can accept it. All the same, he’s an hypocrite.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

Yes, he’s a hypocrite. His friends and brother are into drugs. But normally, he wouldn’t be able to turn them in because of the close relationship between them.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

I kinda agree with you, Just because Steve was not as bad as the others and had a hidden agenda, doesn't make it okay for him to pull a 'get out of jail free card' for Roxy and to smoke dope.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”