How often do people lose their faith in God after a traumatic experience?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2022 Book of the Month "When No One Else Believed" by Ron Tripodo
Comfort Ansah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comfort-ansah.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Re: How often do people lose their faith in God after a traumatic experience?

Post by Comfort Ansah »

It is very difficult to hold on to God and keep the faith when faced with difficult situations and most often we tend to question God and think he has forsaken us. In those trying times, it is difficult to pray and be steadfast but if we can hold on and believe we will see his manifestation with time.
Mahwish Asgher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahwish-asgher.html
Latest Review: Orcas Forever by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Mahwish Asgher »

I think most of the time hardships and tragedies bring a person closer to God as he/she can see that there is no one who could take them out of the situation. But some people may just loose a little faith they had in God after encountering a traumatic experience as they were not very faithful in the first place.
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

I am a Christian, and I cannot speak for all or most Christians. My experience is that holding onto one's faith in the face of adversity will always be inspiring to me because it is easy to lose faith, especially in today's world, where there is so much information and misinformation about God and faith.

That being said, the Bible itself is filled with many accounts of people holding onto their faith no matter what. The story of Job is one of those who lost absolutely everything, not just a loved one but all his children and wealth. He held on. This is the ultimate test for us Christians. At the same time, we also know how feeble faith can be. We know how weak we can be as human beings and how malleable our hearts can be. and again, the bible also has accounts of people losing faith in the face of loss and adversity, again, Job's wife comes to mind here. Thus any story characterised by holding onto faith like Tripodo did after such loss is and will always be inspiring to me.
Ay Obaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ay-obaj.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ay Obaj »

To me, his faith was definitely a meaningful factor. Truly, many Christians would lose their faith after some heartbreaking ordeal. You may regain that faith later, but in this case it was his strong faith that kept him going.
Harry Torsney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harry-torsney.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Harry Torsney »

Not that often unless they are subjected to such traumatic experiences on a regular basis.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Well i think that many people forget their faith when loosing a loved one or when they go through trauma. They don't completely lose it but they lose their way and start to question God. However when time goes by they realize that they were wrong and start to rekindle their faith.
To say that someone has strong unshakable faith is to not question God in whatever stage of grief u are in. You should rather return to God during those situations
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Jah Thomas
Currently Reading: Butterfly Awakens
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jah-thomas.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Jah Thomas »

I think oftentimes, people will lose their faith in God after a traumatic experience, especially if their faith wasn't as strong to begin with. They begin to question God, wondering why he isn't listening to them or answering their prayers.
Ayomidekenny2
Currently Reading: Great Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomidekenny2.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Ayomidekenny2 »

Well, it takes faith not to lose faith in God as this is the central theme of the book. However, looking back at what God has done in the past rejuvenates one's hope in God even at a very difficult moments.
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 608
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

Alot of Christians actually do lose their Faith when something like this happens. They feel betrayed as they think God left them when they needed Him the most. After all we stay human. It's quite an 'achievement' to stay Faithful after any life changing ordeal, so when people do get that right is an amazing and admirable and it gives other people hope.
lilianchikasi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilianchikasi.html
Latest Review: From A Whore to a Whousewife by Felicia Cobbs

Post by lilianchikasi »

In most cases, people let go of their faith and belief in God when something tragic or unexpected happens because they believe that God shouldn't or wouldn't allow them to go through so much pain. This doesn't apply to all. It takes perseverance and deep faith in God to keep on pushing on and seeing that God's love for us is never-ending .
Ozioma Miriam
Currently Reading: The Love Charm
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozioma-miriam.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ozioma Miriam »

Some might not lose their faith in God during trial times. But there's this doubt and question one has in their mind in such situations. They often wonder if God is still with them and helping them. Tripodo's faith was remarkable because he was strong. He didn't entertain any doubt in his situation.
Mozi Ken
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

During trying times, most people think that God has abandoned them. Tripodo's example is one of the exceptional few that had unshakable faith in God despite his trials.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

It happens a lot actually. People tend to lose their faith after a traumatic experience because they feel they've been abandoned by God. However, for some like in Ron's case, that is when their faith becomes stronger.
Fiybalezro2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fiybalezro2.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fiybalezro2 »

There are situations I witnessed myself too where Christians started doubting their faith after going through traumatic phases. Some were affected while some still stand strong in their faith.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

I agree that Tripodo's faith was an impressive feat. Holding on to your faith, as a Christian, after having a traumatic experience is a task that is really difficult and is not seen very often. Although, that is largely dependent on the person's relationship with God and the things the person was taught about God. For instance, some people believe that God has a reason for everything, whether bad or good, and they accept misfortunes in good faith. While others may believe that as a Christian, one is not meant to face afflictions, and they begin to question and doubt God when one comes their way.

Return to “Discuss "When No One Else Believed" by Ron Tripodo”