How often do people lose their faith in God after a traumatic experience?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2022 Book of the Month "When No One Else Believed" by Ron Tripodo
Einsthawkton Edeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-einsthawkton-edeh.html
Latest Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Re: How often do people lose their faith in God after a traumatic experience?

Post by Einsthawkton Edeh »

Traumatic experiences can affect what a person believes in. Just because many people who tell their stories are those who held on to their faith after passing through tough experiences doesn't mean that those who lost their faith completely don't exist. They just didn't tell their own story.
Einsthawkton Edeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-einsthawkton-edeh.html
Latest Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by Einsthawkton Edeh »

Most traumatic experiences actually go against everything you believe. It makes you rethink if your beliefs are correct. Many people do not come out of this phase unscathed. They abandon their faith in search of some other meaning.
Rita Nuncia
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-nuncia.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Rita Nuncia »

Traumatic experiences have a way of making you question God’s existence. So I won’t be surprised if the number of people who lose faith is high. I have been in such situation and I got to understand that I do not see everything that happens around me and I don’t know if something worse might have happened or if I’m being prepared for a role. Also having a strong faith in God during a traumatic experience makes it easier to bear.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

When it comes to traumatic loss and the Christian faith, some people hold on fast to their faith because being a Christian does not mean life will be easier for you. It simply means you don't give up even when it gets tough.
Amy Fellows
Currently Reading: The Monster in the Hollows
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-fellows.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Amy Fellows »

I think what is amazing in his story is the fact that his wife was healed. We love a good ending to a story. If he had fallen away or some other combination, it would not be as inspiring. I would agree with the people that say his faith is inspiring because many Christians do fall away from the faith during times of trial. It is sad to see, but for some it will be this or a faith that is strengthened.
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

Missing Person wrote: 02 Sep 2022, 15:30 I've seen a lot of discussion about how inspiring Tripodo's faith in God was. I've also seen many stories of Christians holding onto their faith after losing a loved one. In fact, I've seen so many of these stories of Christians holding onto their faith after a traumatic experience that I've come to the conclusion that the majority of Christians hold onto their no matter how much pain and suffering they experience, and that suffering is not the principle reason why most Christians lose their faith in God.

If my hypothesis is correct and the majority of Christians still have faith in God after losing their loved ones or going through some traumatic experience, then what exactly is so inspiring about Ron Tripodo's experience? Why were so many OBC readers impressed with Tripodo's faith? As an atheist, I find it difficult to understand some readers admiration for Tripodi's faith.

If the majority of Christians lost their faith in God after a traumatic experience then I would understand how inspiring Tripodo's faith would seem. But this is not the case. I've seen trailers for Christian movies talk about Christians becoming atheists after losing a loved one. For example, in the movie Let There Be Light, Dr. Sol Harkens lost his son to cancer and then became an atheist. The movie is about how Harkens regains his faith. If Harken's experience is a common one, then that would mean Tripodo's faith was a very impressive feat, if not that would mean that, at least in my eyes, his faith was a not meaningful factor in the heartbreaking ordeal he had to endure.
The will and perseverance of many is not a reason to neglect the difficulty of a task. That many people are successful is not enough reason to say success is easy. If it was the case, making wealth is easy after all a lot of people end up with wealth.
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
Okoye Chinonso+
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

As sad as this may be, but people tend to lose their faith the moment they feel hopeless. They only believe and have faith when things are going their way, but the very moment their situation changes, the begin to question if there is a God.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

I'll say very often. When a person is faced with life struggles, especially deadly sicknesses, it is very easy to give up. It doesn't even help it if the trials comes repeatedly after just facing one. The person would feel abandoned and too tired to persevere. In most cases, people need God to act fast and tend to their needs, and when it doesn't happen when they anticipate it, they lose whatever is left of their faith.
Alet Van Tonder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alet-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Alet Van Tonder »

This is definitely not a simple topic - each person experiences and processes trauma in a unique way. It is admirable when people, or characters like Tripodo, can remain steadfast in their faith when faced with devastating circumstances.
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwuamarachi-55.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

As they say, you wouldn't know the pain one is going through or what to be done except you are in such a person's position. Many people, assuming placed in Ron's position, would have easily lost their faith in God. Therefore, his faith in God should be admired.
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I know several people who have stopped going to church after experiencing a great number of personal tragedies. It wasn't just one event; it was a barrage of things gone wrong. One person has completely lost faith. He doesn't understand how God could let him constantly suffer. The others have just stopped worshipping and having fellowship with other believers because they just don't see the point anymore, or they are embarrassed about the things that have happened in their families. People say that things happen for a reason but sometimes it's impossible to understand that way of thinking when you are greatly suffering.
Brain Jax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brain-jax.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Brain Jax »

It is practically not easy to still have faith in God when you have been through a deeply hurting experience. I temporarily dropped the Bible when I lost my aint. The pains were too much to bear. I really salute the Tripodos for their unwavering faith in God, despite their travails.
Madelineren
Currently Reading: Educated
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madelineren.html
Latest Review: Short Stories from Saskatchewan and Beyond by Ryan Thaddeus

Post by Madelineren »

I feel Tripodos story reminded me to look to God in trials, as it's easy to get lost in this world or feel abandoned by God during hard times. Tripodo preaches persistence.
RajvirxSandhu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajvirxsandhu.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by RajvirxSandhu »

Traumatic experiences are something I believe, at one point, everyone goes through; sadly, I have to. I did lose faith; however, I came back into it, but it did take a while. I believe losing and regaining trust is a trail to overcome; in this novel, Ron does not waver in the face of many hardships, proving his faith's strength.
Fola Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fola-moni.html
Latest Review: Moonlight Serenade by Terry Mark

Post by Fola Moni »

I believe that the reverse is the case in my experience. I know of some Christians who lose faith after a traumatic experience. It can be hard to understand why bad things happen especially when you serve God with all your strength.

So indeed, Tripodo's faith is inspirational.

Return to “Discuss "When No One Else Believed" by Ron Tripodo”