How often do people lose their faith in God after a traumatic experience?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2022 Book of the Month "When No One Else Believed" by Ron Tripodo
ometanoghenetejiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ometanoghenetejiri.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Re: How often do people lose their faith in God after a traumatic experience?

Post by ometanoghenetejiri »

Losing ones faith after a tragic experience is not something new and also not pleasant in any way. A lot of people actually lose their faith after such experience depending on how trained they are and the level of their faith. It takes a Christian with strong faith and accurate knowledge of what he/she believes in to stand firm after a tragic situation. Nevertheless, this situation is always a tough one.
Alis Mehic
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Alis Mehic »

They often feel that that is God's way of punishing them for something they did or said and feel like God hates them or isn't real because He punished them and is a bad God or something. But a true Christian knows God putting us through stuff is His way of testing us and letting us know He is still there because if life was perfect and sinless then God wouldn't be necessary because sin wouldn't exist but unfortunately that isn't true. He is very real and just wants the best out of us
Anil G
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Anil G »

Everyone goes through lots in their life, some get lots of traumatic events in their childhood and some get it in their adulthood. At first, people do lose their faith in God but eventually, they gain it over time. After going through this stuff one gets the idea in their heart that everything is going to be alright. It's just a matter of how one looks at the situation they are in. Perspective can change any scenario.
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
Austin Debby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-austin-debby.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Austin Debby »

I'm indifferent about this. Cause most times it doesn't always work out well. I've seen circumstances where the reverse was the case. I'm of the opinion that people should do what works for them and not because of indoctrination.
Marybreda reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marybreda-reads.html
Latest Review: Bawdy Jokes & Patter Songs by Denny Hatch

Post by Marybreda reads »

It is not uncommon for people to loose their faith in God after a tragic experience. As humans, we will feel forsaken and would be in a lot of doubt. But we should understand that those experiences are trials we have to go through to show how strong our faith is.
LilB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilb.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by LilB »

It's almost like a regular occurrence. The ability to hold on to your faith in God despite all the adversities is something I believe is admirable and worth emulating. People tend to lose their faith after one experience or the other.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Most times people tend to lose their faith immediately something tragic happens. I feel it's normal, it's human. But when we remember that most of those tragedies are a test of our faith we need to stay strong again and keep hoping.
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawisimportant23.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by lawisimportant23 »

I reckon traumatic events may lead two ways. Those that have true faith in God and understand His workings only get stronger in faith. Those whose faith is not as strong may end up blaming God for their misfortunes.
Am Eso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-am-eso.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Am Eso »

Most people really lose their faith in God after a traumatic experience. That's why I'm amazed at tripodo's absolute faith in God.
I know that it's usually not easy to keep trusting God even when it feels like he betrayed or failed us, the truth is challenges come our way to test our faith and whatever results from those challenges whether good or bad, it doesn't change the fact that God is still God and he has a reason for everything that happens. We also realize that when we trust God in those challenges and emerge victorious, our faith becomes so strengthened.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

People usually lose faith because when in difficulties, they expect things to work out the way they want (a disease that miraculously get cured, a job or lot of money appears in one's life. They prayed and asked God, the result is not as expected, they quit their faith. Here despite his wife's deteriorating health , Tripodo kept on believing. He kept a positive mind.
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Post by E Daves »

Jelly_J wrote: 04 Sep 2022, 23:13 It is not easy to lose a loved one. When it happens, people concerned might react in different ways to it. Some may blame God and decide to not care anymore, or some may accept the loss and enhance their faith.
I agree with you. It is all dependent on how a person reacts to or accepts such things. This will lead to either losing one's faith or the opposite which is the event strengthening the person's faith.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Tonia Freeman wrote: 05 Sep 2022, 01:27 I don’t know that one is more common that the other honestly. Personally, when my mom died I had a very clean break with religion and my deep faith. I think it was multiple factors but even 10 years later I have still never stepped foot inside a church except for funerals and weddings. I honestly don’t know if I can forgive and move back to my faith. It has evolved and changed.
These kind of events alter one's beliefs. Sometimes, you may not be able to expylaiy why you are doing some certain things but you will know that it all changed when you lost the loved one. It's never easy.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Nweze Raalchukwu1 wrote: 05 Sep 2022, 06:18 I do think that a lot of people lose faith after some traumatic incident. The ones that do not are usually praised and are taken to be the norm when they are not. I feel the protagonist's faith was praised because it is usually the exception.
Exactly what I was thinking. It is those that remain steadfast that we often hear their stories and praise. Meanwhile, those who lost their faiths after the traumatic event do not even bother to tell the tale. We project based on the side of the story we've heard
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Victoria Ukamaka wrote: 05 Sep 2022, 08:11 If you have gone through similar experiences, you would know that it is hard to keep believing in God even when everything happening seems to be showing that God does not care about you. Holding on to God's words, believing that he knows exactly what is going on, and that all things works for our good is not easy.
Most of these traumatic events tend to point toward the opposite of all you base your faith in, just as you have said. For people to keep believing and maintain a string faith in such situations is hard. Anyone who has gone through these kind of events and came out strong deserves some parise.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Amy Luman wrote: 05 Sep 2022, 11:12 Faith is not based on God doing what you want. Faith is believing that God will use even the most horrific experience for good, eventually. It’s also knowing that you may never see the intended good come from the experience. I think that Mr. Tripodo’s experience is so inspiring because he knows where his wife ends up and that he will see her again. At least that’s my opinion.
Your opinion is legit! Many people think that faith depends on how well things works in their favour. That is why they feel very disappointed whenever it doesn't. Once people understand faith the way you just explained it, I think they will have more peace in them even when things are going south.

Return to “Discuss "When No One Else Believed" by Ron Tripodo”