How often do people lose their faith in God after a traumatic experience?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2022 Book of the Month "When No One Else Believed" by Ron Tripodo
Jay_shon03
Favorite Book: Butterfly Awakens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-shon03.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Re: How often do people lose their faith in God after a traumatic experience?

Post by Jay_shon03 »

Understanding your purpose in life and having a personal relationship with God are two important factors that keep people going in the face of challenges. Once you know what you are here on earth for, you would look at every challenge as a phase that will soon elapse. Unfortunately, most religious people are yet to understand their purpose in life. Most haven't formed a personal relationship with God. That is why a lot of people easily lose faith in God in their lowest moments.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Proof Readar »

This is a thought-provoking question you asked. But I will tell you that many Christians lost their faith after traumatic event. While some show it vividly that they are no more in the faith, many present to be in the faith, appearing physical in the gathering of brethren but their heart wanes gradually from God's presence. That is how it is. As an atheist this is not easy for you to rightly identify.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Post by Andrada Madalina »

From everything I have experienced so far, many people lose their faith in God after a traumatic experience and question God's justice. Therefore, I admired Ron's strong belief in God's power to heal his wife even if there were minimal chances that she would survive her rare disease. Also, he was so devoted to his faith that he could feel God's presence and never stopped believing in Patsy's healing.
Goodluck Aguiyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-aguiyi.html
Latest Review: OUCH! The Pain of Modern Civilization by Dr. Ajay Issar & Alka Issar

Post by Goodluck Aguiyi »

It's not always an easy event to keep up with believing God after a traumatic event so I think people don't really wait on him for long after any traumatic event
Nkuna John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkuna-john.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Nkuna John »

I don't know if there's a definite correlation between trauma and faith, but I can see how someone's faith may be shaken after experiencing a traumatic event. I think a lot of people, if not most, see bad experiences as a test of faith, and that pushes them to fight to keep their faith strong. I am open to being corrected on this.
Nkuna John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkuna-john.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Nkuna John »

Jelly_J wrote: 04 Sep 2022, 23:13 It is not easy to lose a loved one. When it happens, people concerned might react in different ways to it. Some may blame God and decide to not care anymore, or some may accept the loss and enhance their faith.
I agree with your answer. People react differently to the same thing, and that may be because of personality traits, or it may be because of life experiences. But some people can be broken by trauma, whilst others may be encouraged by it.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

There are varying reactions to tribulations in one's life. These reactions depends on the strength and understanding of the individual's knowledge about God. While some loose their faith when tribulations hit them because they can't fathom why the God they have been loyal to all these while failed them, some see it as an opportunity to remain loyal and stand firm in faith; recalling the trials of Job in the Bible.

So, because of the time we are in, people do not have patience and they want an instant answer to their prayers. This could be one of the reasons most Christians loose their faith after a traumatic experience.
Christiana Legbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christiana-legbara.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Christiana Legbara »

It is not surprising when one loses faith because of trials. It is not an easy thing to keep holding on even when things are falling apart.
Riya Sarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riya-sarkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Riya Sarkar »

For me, it doesn't matter if the ordeal of continuing his faith was a common one or not. A man continued to have faith despite heartbreaking hardships and that's what is impressive. If thousands of other people are doing those same thing then I find each and everyone of them impressive.
Babalola Oluseyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babalola-oluseyi.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Babalola Oluseyi »

I understand how you feel but I believe that such movies and books are mainly created to push the narrative that has always been preached to Christians, and that is to have faith and to stick by God even if it feels that he has left you. They accomplish this by creating a story where the character loses his faith and it is proven that God actually never left him. I feel that a lot of Christians feel betrayed and lost after traumatic events, and some never find their faith again.
Tiisetso Mokgohloa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiisetso-mokgohloa.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Tiisetso Mokgohloa »

Jelly_J wrote: 04 Sep 2022, 23:13 It is not easy to lose a loved one. When it happens, people concerned might react in different ways to it. Some may blame God and decide to not care anymore, or some may accept the loss and enhance their faith.
I agree with you, people tend to approach the matters differently. While others may be holding on to God enough to find strength in him, they manage to have extra faith in him. Others tend to feel betrayed, more especially when they are too hurt by the unfortunate circumstances
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

I was scrolling through the forum when I came across this post. It doesn't sound like you're a Christian but from many experiences I can tell that it is very common for Christian to loose their faith I God after coming across hardships and hard times.

They may not necessarily become atheist but many lose their love for God, begin to question him and even view him as wicked even while still "Christians" so I agree with many obc readers that said Ron's faith is truly commendable and admirable.
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 350

Post by Tars »

I don't believe that this question has any definite answer. Too many variable to count in regards every single situation and all people involved. Were they religious to begin with? Was it accident or fault of their own? But if not go into specifics, then yes, I know my neighbor list her faith after sudden death of her grown son.
Aivy Daylig
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aivy-daylig.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Aivy Daylig »

To have a robust faith in God is struggling in many ways specially in times of trials and hardships. Even me, personally, has been stumbled many times because of some traumatic experiences that halted me to believe again. However, it is imperative to be constantly reminded that God is always there for us.
Michael Valentine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Pendulum Charts Contact Your Angelic Team by Raven Shamballa

Post by Michael Valentine »

I think that most people lose faith in God after a traumatic experience. There is this book I am reading where the main character lost his wife, and he immediately lost his faith in God. He even stopped praying and attending church services because of it.

Return to “Discuss "When No One Else Believed" by Ron Tripodo”