How often do people lose their faith in God after a traumatic experience?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2022 Book of the Month "When No One Else Believed" by Ron Tripodo
Missing Person
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-zambarakji.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

How often do people lose their faith in God after a traumatic experience?

Post by Missing Person »

I've seen a lot of discussion about how inspiring Tripodo's faith in God was. I've also seen many stories of Christians holding onto their faith after losing a loved one. In fact, I've seen so many of these stories of Christians holding onto their faith after a traumatic experience that I've come to the conclusion that the majority of Christians hold onto their no matter how much pain and suffering they experience, and that suffering is not the principle reason why most Christians lose their faith in God.

If my hypothesis is correct and the majority of Christians still have faith in God after losing their loved ones or going through some traumatic experience, then what exactly is so inspiring about Ron Tripodo's experience? Why were so many OBC readers impressed with Tripodo's faith? As an atheist, I find it difficult to understand some readers admiration for Tripodi's faith.

If the majority of Christians lost their faith in God after a traumatic experience then I would understand how inspiring Tripodo's faith would seem. But this is not the case. I've seen trailers for Christian movies talk about Christians becoming atheists after losing a loved one. For example, in the movie Let There Be Light, Dr. Sol Harkens lost his son to cancer and then became an atheist. The movie is about how Harkens regains his faith. If Harken's experience is a common one, then that would mean Tripodo's faith was a very impressive feat, if not that would mean that, at least in my eyes, his faith was a not meaningful factor in the heartbreaking ordeal he had to endure.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I found Tripodo's faith extremely admiral. I experienced several traumatic events very close together, and I lost my faith in God! I am not proud to admit it, but I was angry and couldn't understand why I was going through what I was at the time. I was a very dedicated Christian and very active in my church. I just turned my back and walked away from God and out into the world to live a completely different life! But you see, I couldn't run from God forever. I could never get
God off of my mind because I knew what I was doing was wrong. This went on for fifteen years before I turned back to God and my faith was renewed. While I was living for the world, God showed me the contrast between my two lives and I knew I couldn't make it any longer without Him. So you see, some Christians lose their faith in God in trying times. But once you have known God and had a personal relationship with Him you cannot go another way for very long without wanting to run back to God! I wish I had been as strong in my faith as Tripodo was!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Kelsey Roy
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Kelsey Roy »

I think that perhaps the reason you’ve seen many stories about people maintaining faith after a loss is uncommon, and when it’s experience, it’s documented. Speaking from personal experience: my husband was raised Catholic. He lost his dad while in college to cancer, a quick passing after a hopeful diagnosis. My husband felt betrayed. How could a loving, merciful God take his dad from him? My husband lost his faith. Now, my husband has since started rekindling his faith, but that initial reaction of betrayal is still deep inside. I think this may be the more common feeling after loss. So, in my opinion, Tripodo’s complete TRUST in God amazes me. Not only did he continue to just call himself a Christian, he wholeheartedly believed in his God to deliver a miracle.
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jelly_J »

It is not easy to lose a loved one. When it happens, people concerned might react in different ways to it. Some may blame God and decide to not care anymore, or some may accept the loss and enhance their faith.
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-freeman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tonia Freeman »

I don’t know that one is more common that the other honestly. Personally, when my mom died I had a very clean break with religion and my deep faith. I think it was multiple factors but even 10 years later I have still never stepped foot inside a church except for funerals and weddings. I honestly don’t know if I can forgive and move back to my faith. It has evolved and changed.
Stellah Chege
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellah-chege.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Stellah Chege »

Actually, most people do lose their faith after traumatic experiences. It's only that their stories are not always told. Being a believer and facing a difficult situation can be very hard. This is because going through the experience, you had hoped that you'd get supernatural help, and you strongly believe. When it doesn't happen, you start questioning everything. Therefore getting to a point of seeing the good out of a difficult situation is nerve wrecking . Those who survive and come out better, it means their faith stood the test of time. Therefore the reason why they are celebrated. In my opinion.
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

As a Christian who grew up believing in God, I regret to admit that I still have my doubts occasionally. According to what I've read, the challenges we face are either disguised as gifts from God or are intended to bring us closer to Him. However, I'm angry that some people are unlucky and are frequently consumed by their problems, which makes them doubt the existence of God or makes them angry that a loving father would let them suffer continuously. Therefore, I would assert that a large number of people lose faith in God as a result of repeated trials without evidence of God's intervention.
ELI MESHACK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eli-meshack.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by ELI MESHACK »

Tripodo's faith is a replical of what is happening in the world today and it is so inspiring. You can be in the most difficult situations in life that could make you lose faith in God. But one thing you have to belive is that what God cannot do does not exist. Just keep trusting in God and worry less, He will make everything right again in a twinkle of an eye.
Nweze Raalchukwu1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nweze-raalchukwu1.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nweze Raalchukwu1 »

I do think that a lot of people lose faith after some traumatic incident. The ones that do not are usually praised and are taken to be the norm when they are not. I feel the protagonist's faith was praised because it is usually the exception.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

Wow this is a very strong analysis, and I would alsoike to hear others' views on this. I also didn't see any inspiration in this book, as you have stated yourself. But I understand that traumatic experiences can make one's faith to falter.
Lawrence+2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawrence-2.html
Latest Review: The Ranting of an Uneducated Reactionary by Oscar J. Phillips

Post by Lawrence+2 »

The worst part about Christianity is that often, Christians tend to profess but not practicalize it. At every slightest challenge, Christians tend to forget what God is capable of doing.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

Most stories where people recount their experiences are done when they have gone through that experience and emerged victorious. Hence, it is not surprising for us to hear, read, or watch stories of people who held on to their faith when they lost a loved one.

That most of the people who let go of their faith in such situations don't tell their stories doesn't mean it is non existent or that they are not higher in the statistics. It's just a matter of who tell their stories and who doesn't.
Isaac Oh
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: The Sacred Tyrak by Aklin Reed

Post by Isaac Oh »

Most times people tend to lose their faith immediately something tragic happens. I feel it's normal, it's human. But when we remember that most of those tragedies are a test of our faith we need to stay strong again and keep hoping.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:

If you have gone through similar experiences, you would know that it is hard to keep believing in God even when everything happening seems to be showing that God does not care about you. Holding on to God's words, believing that he knows exactly what is going on, and that all things works for our good is not easy.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:

Most stories where people recount their experiences are done when they have gone through that experience and emerged victorious. Hence, it is not surprising for us to hear, read, or watch stories of people who held on to their faith when they lost a loved one.

That most of the people who let go of their faith in such situations don't tell their stories doesn't mean it is non existent or that they are not higher in the statistics. It's just a matter of who tell their stories and who doesn't.

Return to “Discuss "When No One Else Believed" by Ron Tripodo”