How often do people lose their faith in God after a traumatic experience?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2022 Book of the Month "When No One Else Believed" by Ron Tripodo
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Re: How often do people lose their faith in God after a traumatic experience?

Post by Vivian Stones »

Brenda Creech wrote: 04 Sep 2022, 14:51 I found Tripodo's faith extremely admiral. I experienced several traumatic events very close together, and I lost my faith in God! I am not proud to admit it, but I was angry and couldn't understand why I was going through what I was at the time. I was a very dedicated Christian and very active in my church. I just turned my back and walked away from God and out into the world to live a completely different life! But you see, I couldn't run from God forever. I could never get
God off of my mind because I knew what I was doing was wrong. This went on for fifteen years before I turned back to God and my faith was renewed. While I was living for the world, God showed me the contrast between my two lives and I knew I couldn't make it any longer without Him. So you see, some Christians lose their faith in God in trying times. But once you have known God and had a personal relationship with Him you cannot go another way for very long without wanting to run back to God! I wish I had been as strong in my faith as Tripodo was!

Your experience is very similar to mine. I'm afraid I have to disagree that most Christians don't lose their faith in God after a traumatic event. On the contrary, I've seen so many people turn and walk out on God. Ron exhibited uncommon faith and that is very admrable.
Wilkister Inzai Avagalwa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilkister-inzai-avagalwa.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Wilkister Inzai Avagalwa »

I would say all the time because people keep questioning God and where He was to save them from the traumatic situation.
Rose Tamuno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-tamuno.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rose Tamuno »

many people have lost their faith for very little things. I am not belittling their pain but it is true. So, it is not surprising to learn that people have lost faith because of a lot of traumatic experiences they have had. the character's loss of faith in God because of the traumatic experience they had was kind of understandable. So to answer the question, people lose their faith in God pretty often.
MahimaS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by MahimaS »

I think it's very easy to lose hope in God after much suffering, but I admire people who can hold onto their faith despite that.
Glory_C
Currently Reading: Keysha's Drama
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glory-c.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Glory_C »

When we lose a loved one or go through trauma, we might ask God questions. Why did you allow this to happen to me? Aren't you meant to guide, protect and be with me every step of the way? However, the Bible says that God won't allow us go through what we cannot bear.
At some point, we could start feeling guilty concerning our doubts and anger towards God. Then cry for forgiveness. God is a loving father, and would accept us with open arms.
Anthony Ekemezie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Crucible of the Damned by Jason Brookshier

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

It is not uncommon. A lot of people lose faith in God, especially after a traumatic experience. It only takes the grace of God in order to find your path back to Him.
Nicholas Bush
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholas-bush.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nicholas Bush »

Considering the amount of faith Ron had to put in, I think not all men on earth can go that extent. I believe that there are those out there too that has gone through a lot worst and still maintain their faith.
Wren Michaels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wren-michaels.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Wren Michaels »

As much as there are many examples of individuals loosing their faith in God due to the hardships and unfortunate circumstances of life, trauma can also cause people to find strength in God. I have several family members who had grown up without faith, and due to health reasons, later found God.
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

Being a non-believer gives me a different perspective on things. I respect people who have faith in something bigger than themselves, and from what I've seen, those people's faith grows stronger when some misfortune befalls them. But it becomes strongest when they lose a loved one. And this is understandable since everyone wants their loved ones to be in a better place and with a better fate than the one that befell them, but we will always miss them no matter who believes in what and what not!
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I think some people when faced with unexpected or the dark reality, they do revert away. They lose their faith instantly if things don't go accordingly. Remember that things happen for the ultimate good will help keep them believing.
Goody book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goody-book.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Goody book »

I think so many people lose their faith after some drastic experience it's just that their stories are not always shared. Also u think it depends in your relationship with God .
Wamala Elijah Mul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliwamala.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Wamala Elijah Mul »

Loss of faith is a common response among people in the aftermath of traumatic occurrences. Simply put, the issue is that their backgrounds are not usually shared. When times are difficult, it is not easy to maintain one's faith. This is because you are under the impression that you would have been assisted by a higher power if you had prayed for it before going through the event. When it doesn't, you start to question everything else in your life. Therefore, arriving at the point when one can find the good in a challenging situation can be an extremely nerve-wracking experience. Those who endure trials and emerge stronger on the other side are living proof that one's faith can withstand anything that life throws at them. In light of this, I have concluded that this is the motivation behind the celebration of such persons.
1 Corinthians 3:16-17 Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?
17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple.
Agbugba Chinedu Leslie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbugba-chinedu-leslie.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Agbugba Chinedu Leslie »

Victoria Ukamaka wrote: 05 Sep 2022, 08:07 Most stories where people recount their experiences are done when they have gone through that experience and emerged victorious. Hence, it is not surprising for us to hear, read, or watch stories of people who held on to their faith when they lost a loved one.

That most of the people who let go of their faith in such situations don't tell their stories doesn't mean it is non existent or that they are not higher in the statistics. It's just a matter of who tell their stories and who doesn't.
I agree with this. Most people let go of their faith but don't speak about it. It exists and in a high volume as well
kingwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingwriter.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by kingwriter »

Having faith in God is not a joke at all. some situations are so stubborn to the extent that you will question your reasons for existence see Ron hold steadfast to his faith in God is encouraging and I love to emulate him .
Ben Filla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-filla.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Ben Filla »

It's a pity and unfair that people go through hard times in life. It could be challenging to one's faith. I would not point a finger of blame if one fall short because of trauma.

Return to “Discuss "When No One Else Believed" by Ron Tripodo”