How often do people lose their faith in God after a traumatic experience?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2022 Book of the Month "When No One Else Believed" by Ron Tripodo
Dinabry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dinabry.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Re: How often do people lose their faith in God after a traumatic experience?

Post by Dinabry »

It is not easy to lose a loved one. When it happens, people concerned might react in different ways to it. So many people blame God and decide to not care anymore, or some may accept the loss and enhance their faith.
It’s a very hard situation to be in.
AMARA UJU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amara-uju.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AMARA UJU »

For the time that I have lived so far, I have discovered that it is only God who has the power that can enable us overcome what is termed as the impossible. It is true that God lets us go through trying moments, but it is the only way through which we are able to understand and clear out any doubts we may have concerning our faith.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

I guess it depends on the person and the traumatic events. If their faith is already strong and depp-rooted from the beginning it is unlikely they lose it to anything. They could be shaken bevause an event, but they never lose their faith.
Mellino Itz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I am a Christian and honestly some tragic things has happened to me that I had doubt my faith in God. I even questioned his existence. We are humans and we react to everything's about us. It takes an extraordinary level of faith and Strength to still hold onto God in extreme situation and that was what made Ron Tripodo's experience inspiring.
Hannah Mae Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

Losing someone you treasure the most is hard to recover from. But there are just circumstances we can't explain because we haven't been through that situation. I liked how you came up with this idea.
Okorji98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

Even though it might be quite common that Christians still hold unto their faith even after a tragic experience or suffering, it doesn’t detract from the fact that Tripodo’s experience and him holding unto his faith despite all he passed through was quite touching and inspiring.
Lisa Park17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-park17.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Lisa Park17 »

Some times when people are going through difficult times, they might question their faith, and it would end at that. But they wouldn't lose their faith totally.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

If the majority of Christians lost their faith in God after a traumatic experience then I would understand how inspiring Tripodo's faith would seem. But this is not the case. I've seen trailers for Christian movies talk about Christians becoming atheists after losing a loved one. For example, in the movie Let There Be Light, Dr. Sol Harkens lost his son to cancer and then became an atheist.

It all depends on how you see it. Most of the people that lose their faith after a tragedy believe that because they believe everything will always go great. As soon as life happens they lose their faith. If you look in Matthew, Jesus gives a parable about a sower, it speaks of the seed that fell on the stoney side and immediately sprang up with no deep roots. This means that people give up their faith just as quickly as it sprang up in their hearts. You cannot serve God when everything goes well and the moment something bad happens you push him aside. That is not how it works that is exactly the time that you have to stay faithful. When you except the good of something you have to take the bad with it. People often do not remember that and that is why they often lose their faith in God after a traumatic experience.
maycherono91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maycherono91.html

Post by maycherono91 »

People tend to lose their faith in God after a traumatic event, because they go to religion o rather believe in a supreme being for protection purposes. Protection from harm, losses and tragedy. Thus when either of those takes place, they are left to wonder how it could have happened yet they believed. One asks themselves a lot of questions.
SINGH JAY
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-singh-jay.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by SINGH JAY »

Losing a loved one is not simple. People affected by it may respond to it in different ways when it occurs. Some people may choose to blame God and stop caring, while others may accept the defeat and grow in their faith.
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

To be a believer, one needs to have strong courage and faith in God. So those people who lose faith in God after a trauma don't dare to face what life has presented to them, mostly those who lose their loved ones. They will blame God for it and that is how most people lose their faith in God.
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

To be a believer, one needs to have strong courage and faith in God. So those people who lose faith in God after a trauma don't dare to face what life has presented to them, mostly those who lose their loved ones. They will blame God for it and that is how most people lose their faith in God.
Chris Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nakazuka.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Chris Azuka »

Tripodo's faith was unique in a way. Most people after passing through such situation; losing a loved one, they lose their faith and infact start questioning God for allowing it happen. However, Tripodo always stood strong, believing.
Uriel David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uriel-david.html

Post by Uriel David »

Missing Person wrote: 02 Sep 2022, 15:30 I've seen a lot of discussion about how inspiring Tripodo's faith in God was. I've also seen many stories of Christians holding onto their faith after losing a loved one. In fact, I've seen so many of these stories of Christians holding onto their faith after a traumatic experience that I've come to the conclusion that the majority of Christians hold onto their no matter how much pain and suffering they experience, and that suffering is not the principle reason why most Christians lose their faith in God.

If my hypothesis is correct and the majority of Christians still have faith in God after losing their loved ones or going through some traumatic experience, then what exactly is so inspiring about Ron Tripodo's experience? Why were so many OBC readers impressed with Tripodo's faith? As an atheist, I find it difficult to understand some readers admiration for Tripodi's faith.

If the majority of Christians lost their faith in God after a traumatic experience then I would understand how inspiring Tripodo's faith would seem. But this is not the case. I've seen trailers for Christian movies talk about Christians becoming atheists after losing a loved one. For example, in the movie Let There Be Light, Dr. Sol Harkens lost his son to cancer and then became an atheist. The movie is about how Harkens regains his faith. If Harken's experience is a common one, then that would mean Tripodo's faith was a very impressive feat, if not that would mean that, at least in my eyes, his faith was a not meaningful factor in the heartbreaking ordeal he had to endure.
I don't know how often devastations make Christians lose their faith. However, a story of one believing that come what may God is all, is always inspiring and invokes admiration. Humans tend to give up on an investment that doesn't seem to generate profit. Such is with faith. Seeing someone suffering an ordeal far worse than yours and still trust in God challenges one to keep looking up to God's grace a while longer. That makes Tripod's faith meaningful.
Uriel David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uriel-david.html

Post by Uriel David »

Kelsey Roy wrote: 04 Sep 2022, 18:46 I think that perhaps the reason you’ve seen many stories about people maintaining faith after a loss is uncommon, and when it’s experience, it’s documented. Speaking from personal experience: my husband was raised Catholic. He lost his dad while in college to cancer, a quick passing after a hopeful diagnosis. My husband felt betrayed. How could a loving, merciful God take his dad from him? My husband lost his faith. Now, my husband has since started rekindling his faith, but that initial reaction of betrayal is still deep inside. I think this may be the more common feeling after loss. So, in my opinion, Tripodo’s complete TRUST in God amazes me. Not only did he continue to just call himself a Christian, he wholeheartedly believed in his God to deliver a miracle.
The thing about God is that he does not give explanations. However, He says that He has a good plan for us. We tend to look for miracles in our hardships and forget the many signs in our lives, like waking up every day. We trust in what we see, and that is not faith. Your husband, for instance, trusted his father's prognosis. But what if the doctors were wrong and death became your father-in-law's escape from a devastating future? Being steadfast in faith even when a miracle is not guaranteed (like Shadrack, Meshack, and Abednego) is faith.

Return to “Discuss "When No One Else Believed" by Ron Tripodo”