How often do people lose their faith in God after a traumatic experience?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2022 Book of the Month "When No One Else Believed" by Ron Tripodo
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Re: How often do people lose their faith in God after a traumatic experience?

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

I understand the point you are trying to make but the fact is that It's not easy to lose a loved one and the reaction of people when they experienced this is different from each other; some may still stand strong and some may not be able to. So If we still see some Christian holding onto their faith after losing a loved one, we must appreciate them.
Dawrees
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawrees.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawrees »

More often than not. Just like Job's wife in the bible, not everyone who has gone through what Ron and his wife went through would still have faith in the Supreme creator. Big respect to him
Favour Ozone
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-ozone.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Favour Ozone »

Most individuals lose faith after a catastrophic or unpleasant experience, particularly the death of a loved one. We are all human beings, and we all wander from our faith from time to time.
Excel Chisom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-chisom.html
Latest Review: Becoming Athena by Katherine Lore

Post by Excel Chisom »

Very often. Most times after praying for sometime the stop believing but faith is one of the most important thing in live
Oladiti Temilade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Oladiti Temilade »

Most people tend to lose their faith during great challenges. When people are traumatized, they lose faith in God. When they put hope on God for something and he doesn't do it on time, they lose faith but to be honest it's not easy.
Online Concept
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezel-dornelles.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Online Concept »

People falter a lot and even me, I can remember a time, when I prayed for a very long time concerning a issue and when answers did not seem to come forth, I began to ask God questions and I drifted away.
Hakimi Ziyechi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hakimi-ziyechi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hakimi Ziyechi »

The fear factor of many Christians is God. But once something tragic happens most Christians begin to doubt what they formerly believed in
davidejioforr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-davidejioforr.html
Latest Review: The Unlikely Cowboy by James E. Doucette

Post by davidejioforr »

I think it mostly depends on the strenght of their faith before hand, and the magnitude of their loss
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

This is a very interesting question and conversation. I am thinking that many Christians do lose their faith in God if they face a trauma, and this comes from a false understanding of what and who God actually is and what he has promised to us. God is not a wishing well, and He never promised us an easy life. But he promised to be with us in every situation, every moment of our lives. If we think that faith in God brings earthly success in whatever field of life, we will lose our faith in God when obstacles start piling up. If we, instead, run to God’s arms (because He is our loving father) when we face hardships in life, He will comfort us and pick us up. Personally, I think that losing faith would be the most horrific tragedy, because then we would have nothing left. Jesus could have lost his faith when he was hanging on the cross, but luckily, he didn’t. Our world would look very different now if that was the case.
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

I think Christians who lose their faith after a traumatic loss generally don’t discuss it, which is why it seems like not many do. However, I know people absolutely lose faith sometimes in situations like that. The ones who hold onto their faith tend to be more vocal about it.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

I've seen a lot of people lose their faith after a traumatic event only to come back stronger in faith. They go through a lot, no doubt. But the end result is more ofteb than not a stronger faith. This isn't a general rule of course.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Jelly_J wrote: 04 Sep 2022, 23:13 It is not easy to lose a loved one. When it happens, people concerned might react in different ways to it. Some may blame God and decide to not care anymore, or some may accept the loss and enhance their faith.
Exactly. I think it depends both on the character and the event. Also the point in time when it happens. The same person won't handle two events the same way, and definitely people don't habdle situations the same way.
Lillian Muliro
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lillian-muliro.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Lillian Muliro »

From a personal experience, I realized that most people hold on to what can never be reversed especially when it comes to dealing with the death of a loved one. They however get so broken the moment they come to terms with reality and the mourning period begins. But then, they later learn to accept that they have lost but need to move on and that they can only draw their strength from God. This trying period for especially Christians will strengthen their faith in God.

Now, there is this category of people who stay in the denial period and blame God for their loss. They fail to understand that death is inevitable. So, they refuse to believe that life will have to go on after that. Don't get me wrong, it is their way of mourning and people handle it differently. The problem is, this kind of attachment to the loss sinks them into a place where they feel God abandoned them in a dark place and no one seems to understand them. At this point, they detach from reality and lose faith in God. They tend to build a wall around themselves. At this point, some may eventually come out of the trauma when they get support from close family and friends, while others may need therapy.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

Trauma is the reason major Christians lose their faith in God, Job was tested in the Bible and the Bible acknowledged that Job suffered. Also, people like Marie Curie who was born into a Christian family lost their faith after enduring hardship that's why Ron's faith is admirable and most OBC readers admire Ron's faith despite the challenges he had to face.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

I think it happens more often that it is talked about. I'm a Christian myself and underwent a traumatic experience which shattered my faith. In the aftermath of losing someone, it's very hard to still maintain faith in God because you feel like he's abandoned you. But why most christians "don't lose faith" is because their faith isn't based on the lives being all smooth sailing or that God will always perform extraordinary miracles and give them everything they want. To quote the bible at Hebrews 11:1 non verbatim,
"Faith is the assured expectation of things we cannot see." So in order for Christians to still have faith despite trials and tribulations, they must believe that God has something amazing in store for them even though in that moment it seems pointless, they should look to the future and hope that one day he'll fulfil his promises. That's why Ron's faith was admirable, because he held on to that faith despite everything telling him it was futile. He still clinged to it.

Return to “Discuss "When No One Else Believed" by Ron Tripodo”