How would you answer the opening question?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, forward your receive via email to verification@onlinebookclub.org and you will be given access to this forum.
Forum rules
You are viewing the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=164698
MrsDMVH
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: How would you answer the opening question?

Post by MrsDMVH »

I have thought carefully about this. If I woke up in another bed, in another body, and with their memories, I believe I would only know that life. I imagine taking on that body and memories attached to it, I would take on its soul, thus only being that one being.
Elizabeth McNutt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N)
Currently Reading: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-mcnutt.html
Latest Review: Fantasy Realms Coloring Book by Carolina Mattos Alvarado and Steven A Ridder
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Elizabeth McNutt »

Given the question, I tend to believe that this could already be happening for each of us to get the lessons we need in the present of our existence. Monumental and insurmountable question other than opinion and all opinions are valid.
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Maliha Naveed »

That's a fascinating question. Of course, if I woke in someone else's body with their memories, I wouldn't be able to remember my past life as I would be living their life. But then again, this is what I believe. No one knows how it would feel if it really happened. We could remember our past identities, and that would create confusion instead of a sense of harmony.
Nemanja Jankovic
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 528
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nemanja-jankovic.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Nemanja Jankovic »

Very interesting question. I think I would notice the difference between my memories and someone else's if I woke up in their body because someone else's memories would seem unnatural and strange to me.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Perhaps one wouldn't notice at first. However with time, we would notice that the memories feel foreign; because of our individual personality. We would start thinking that the memory and the way we reacted in that memory does not add up with the way we should feel and act. It would probably be very confusing, unexplainable and scary.
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

This was really an interesting question. When I first read the question, I was like," I will definitely know when I wake up in someone else's body," but when I thought about waking up with the person's memory and everything, I don't think I will remember that it is not my body. One thing is for sure, though, I would feel very weird in that body.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

This question got me thinking a lot, and to be honest, my first decision is that I'm not sure if I'll notice a difference no matter how much I think about it, but maybe I will, because I know what I can do and what I can't do, and I'm sure I'll notice a difference in another person's memories because I know myself.
Jessica Cole 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-cole-3.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Jessica Cole 3 »

I think it's impossible to note the difference. There would be a difference, as it's a different person you're waking up as - but you wouldn't be aware. The mind is a collection of everything about you - your personality, your stance on things, your understanding of yourself and in relation to the world. If the memories are different, your mind has been altered.

A better way to look at it it, is to not even consider another person's thoughts and body. If a person experiences mental or physical trauma, their mind changes. The personality could be changed. Another persona could be created. Memories can be closed off for access. This can all happen within the same person's body and mind, and they wouldn't know what's happening to them or remember the "before". So, if another person is involved, it's very plausible that they would still be unaware of the changes. It would be even more so with a second person's body and thoughts added, because there's no way to try to unlock a part of the new mind to remember the "before" from the old mind.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”