What was your favorite quote?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, forward your receive via email to verification@onlinebookclub.org and you will be given access to this forum.
Forum rules
You are viewing the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=164698
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Re: What was your favorite quote?

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Hellen Muriithi wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 08:38
Bertha Jackson wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 12:34 There are many quotes in this book that give the reader a lot to think about. My favorite was "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle," by Rev. Dr. John Watson. This quote made me think about the rude person I may encounter in a store, or the rude customer service representative who appears short tempered and unconcerned. What is going on in their lives that may be affecting them? What was your favorite quote?
I loved this quote, "Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen." I'm currently mourning my grandma's death and this quote reasonated so much with what I currently feel, especially considering the fact that she succumbed to stroke.
Condolences on the loss of your grandma. I liked this quote as well because it explains and helps me understand some of life's events.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 08:59
Hellen Muriithi wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 08:38
Bertha Jackson wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 12:34 There are many quotes in this book that give the reader a lot to think about. My favorite was "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle," by Rev. Dr. John Watson. This quote made me think about the rude person I may encounter in a store, or the rude customer service representative who appears short tempered and unconcerned. What is going on in their lives that may be affecting them? What was your favorite quote?
I loved this quote, "Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen." I'm currently mourning my grandma's death and this quote reasonated so much with what I currently feel, especially considering the fact that she succumbed to stroke.
Condolences on the loss of your grandma. I liked this quote as well because it explains and helps me understand some of life's events.
Thank you for the kind words, Bertha.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Michelle Nichols
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-nichols.html
Latest Review: The Dream Primer by Jeff Meyer

Post by Michelle Nichols »

There were so many powerful concepts presented that others have captured already. One that stuck with me, not so much for the depth of the concept but rather for the author's creative delivery was, "Friedrich Nietzsche, the battle rapper of philosophy, wrote, 'Only man suffers so deeply that he had to invent laughter'" from page 113 of the Kindle edition.

The concept is profound in its accuracy, but the reference to Nietzsche as a battle rapper made me laugh out loud, literally, as I was reading it. That laughter just reinforced the concept for me.

Thanks for a thought provoking thread, and the opportunity to have so many great quotes captured in one place!
Gabriela Contreras
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriela-contreras.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriela Contreras »

I liked the opening quote by Ram Dass because it set the tone for the book. unshown. But the quote that truly pulled me into the book was "The world only seems so cold and dark sometimes because you are so bright. Your incredible potential sets a high bar." Sometimes that is all we need, someone to remind us how bright we shine.
Justin Christensen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justin-christensen.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Justin Christensen »

Favorite quote from Scott or favorite quote included in the book?

My favorite of Scott's lines was "Admire that which you love. Don't try to grasp it. Just let go and admire. Let it be free. Let it be itself. Just let it be". As a father of 3 young children (6 months - 5 yrs), it is very easy for me to get overprotective. I've been working hard, especially with the oldest, to just let them be kids, and make mistakes, and have fun. Because I do love them and I want to really, truly enjoy every second I spend with them. So that line really resonated with me.

As far as quotes that were included from other people, I liked the one from Alan Watts. "Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun". It of course doesn't apply exactly to all things that cause suffering, but it's a very good reminder that more often than not, taking a step back and smiling at the absurdity of a frustrating situation can wash those negative feelings away.
Abby-Young
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Sarah J Mass
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abby-young.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 9321

Post by Abby-Young »

I have three favorite quotes. I couldn't pick just one. The first one is, “...how paralyzing it is, that stare of a blank canvas, which says to the painter: 'You can't do a thing.' The canvas has an idiotic stare and mesmerizes some painters so much that they turn into idiots themselves. Many painters are afraid in front of the blank canvas, but the blank canvas is afraid of the real, passionate painter who dares and who has broken the spell of 'you can't' once and for all. Life itself, too, is forever turning an infinitely vacant, dispiriting blank side towards man on which nothing appears, any more than it does on a blank canvas. But no matter how vacant and vain, how dead life may appear to be, the man of faith, of energy, of warmth, who knows something, will not be put off so easily. He wades in and does something and stays with it, in short, he violates, 'defiles' - they say.”

The second one, "Whatever you choose to do becomes right—becomes true, becomes real, becomes part of reality, becomes revealed as seemingly fated all along—because you choose it."

And the third, "Do your best, and accept the rest."

As someone who is trying to start an art business by selling landscape photos, these three quotes really hit deep in me. A conformation the doing the best I can is all I can do. A reminder that the choices I make are real. That they can be the right choice simply because I made a choice, I didn't stay on the fence I picked one side and stayed with it. Then the very accurate description of starting, staring at a blank canvas, at two choices, won't get you anywhere. You have to start to see where you will go.
Amina Grobbelaar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Devil amongst us
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-grobbelaar.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Amina Grobbelaar »

It was challenging to pick, but I loved the Sufi Proverb. "When the ego weeps for what it has lost, the spirit rejoices for what it has found."
SamanthaWebster
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Credence
Currently Reading: Tryst Six Venom
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthawebster.html
Latest Review: Gnomes Homes In a Jar by Big Initial Studios
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by SamanthaWebster »

This book was full of so many quotes that I just loved! I thoroughly enjoyed reading and journaling to this book. The quote that stood out the most to me is, “True love is not sacrificing your happiness for another; true love is being happy to sacrifice,” (p. 188). This spoke to me in ways that I cannot explain. Coming out of a relationship and learning to rebuild my love and trust, this quote spoke to my soul.
MAUREEN WAMBUI NJUKI
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maureen-wambui-njuki.html
Latest Review: Praesidium by McKinley Aspen

Post by MAUREEN WAMBUI NJUKI »

My favorite quote was one by the author on Page 201,
"Make fewer commitments, but keep more of the commitments you make. Choose your battles, stingily. Do less, better."
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

“If the word ‘suffering’ simply means having unfulfilled desire, then to be human is to suffer.”

There were quite a few quotes to be pulled out of this book. I’d say that was one of my favorites because of how much truth it carries. All humans are constantly desiring something. We fulfill that desire and then another one pops up.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

You cannot eliminate desire by fulfilling desire. Fulfillment causes desire and goals to be replaced, not eliminated.
I found this to be profound for me. It makes sense since everyone makes goals, yet no one seems happy or content. They relish in the victory for a moment and then move on to the next goal. Like when someone retires and people ask what they will do next? NOTHING! That was the goal!
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

They are so many good ones here!

One of them that I liked is:

“There is great power in peacefulness and acceptance because there is great waste in restlessness, resentment, and unforgiveness.” (pg. 174)

I think this can speak to anyone at any age. If we can be accepting that people will do what they’ll do and we can’t control it, then we can move on and find inner peace versus holding onto resentment and continually be bothered by someone else’s choices, knowing full well we can’t control the choices of others.

Helps me to put things into perspective more. Thanks, Scott!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Izzy Kruger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izzy-kruger.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Thomas Alfie

Post by Izzy Kruger »

I found the sentence: “The whole world is an eternal work of art, and we are the creative loving artists.” very inspiring. I always try to live my life with beauty, turning everything I do into art through my passion.
Nyam Bura
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyam-bura.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nyam Bura »

This was very powerful: "We are in a sense living in heaven already, but whether it is a living heaven or a living hell is in the eye of the beholder because a miserable person with the opposite of inner peace will be miserable and discontent even in the most heavenly of heavens."
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Ruthhagar Tsikata wrote: 06 Oct 2022, 12:07 Favorite quote is :"truth is something that can be revealed not something that can be done". Truth is not an act but something that is always there and no matter how hard you might try to work around it, it will never change.
Might update as I continue reading 😃😃
Maduabuchi Eze wrote: 07 Oct 2022, 17:52 My favourite quote is this: "I believe there is one common human struggle in which, whether we like it or not, we find ourselves united, all on the same side, for better or worse." - Eckhart Aurelius Hughes. If the entirety of human race understand the wisdom in these words and live by it, the world will experience absolute bliss and progress.
Eden Ige 1 wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 07:30 My favourite quote from the book is: “The whole world is an eternal work of art, and we are the creative loving artists.” ~Eckhart Hughes. I totally agree that we are the artists of the world 🌍.
meadowsem wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 10:52 Gosh, I loved the opening letter, first sentence... "I believe there is a force of unbelievable love and goodness deep within you, and that force is you more than anything is you." So powerful! It pulled me right into the book, immediately.
Hellen Muriithi wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 08:38 I loved this quote, "Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen." I'm currently mourning my grandma's death and this quote reasonated so much with what I currently feel, especially considering the fact that she succumbed to stroke.
Gabriela Contreras wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 09:28 the quote that truly pulled me into the book was "The world only seems so cold and dark sometimes because you are so bright. Your incredible potential sets a high bar." Sometimes that is all we need, someone to remind us how bright we shine.
JUSTIN CHRISTENSEN wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 12:46 My favorite of Scott's lines was "Admire that which you love. Don't try to grasp it. Just let go and admire. Let it be free. Let it be itself. Just let it be". As a father of 3 young children (6 months - 5 yrs), it is very easy for me to get overprotective. I've been working hard, especially with the oldest, to just let them be kids, and make mistakes, and have fun. Because I do love them and I want to really, truly enjoy every second I spend with them. So that line really resonated with me.
Abby Young 2 wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 21:41 The second one, "Whatever you choose to do becomes right—becomes true, becomes real, becomes part of reality, becomes revealed as seemingly fated all along—because you choose it."

And the third, "Do your best, and accept the rest."

As someone who is trying to start an art business by selling landscape photos, these three quotes really hit deep in me. A conformation the doing the best I can is all I can do. A reminder that the choices I make are real. That they can be the right choice simply because I made a choice, I didn't stay on the fence I picked one side and stayed with it. Then the very accurate description of starting, staring at a blank canvas, at two choices, won't get you anywhere. You have to start to see where you will go.
SamanthaWebster wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 05:37 This book was full of so many quotes that I just loved! I thoroughly enjoyed reading and journaling to this book. The quote that stood out the most to me is, “True love is not sacrificing your happiness for another; true love is being happy to sacrifice,” (p. 188). This spoke to me in ways that I cannot explain. Coming out of a relationship and learning to rebuild my love and trust, this quote spoke to my soul.
MAUREEN WAMBUI NJUKI wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 07:01 My favorite quote was one by the author on Page 201,
"Make fewer commitments, but keep more of the commitments you make. Choose your battles, stingily. Do less, better."
Sarah Nichols 7 wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 15:43 “If the word ‘suffering’ simply means having unfulfilled desire, then to be human is to suffer.”

There were quite a few quotes to be pulled out of this book. I’d say that was one of my favorites because of how much truth it carries. All humans are constantly desiring something. We fulfill that desire and then another one pops up.
Kayla Archer wrote: 20 Oct 2022, 12:48 You cannot eliminate desire by fulfilling desire. Fulfillment causes desire and goals to be replaced, not eliminated.
I found this to be profound for me. It makes sense since everyone makes goals, yet no one seems happy or content. They relish in the victory for a moment and then move on to the next goal. Like when someone retires and people ask what they will do next? NOTHING! That was the goal!
hsimone wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 21:53 They are so many good ones here!

One of them that I liked is:

“There is great power in peacefulness and acceptance because there is great waste in restlessness, resentment, and unforgiveness.” (pg. 174)

I think this can speak to anyone at any age. If we can be accepting that people will do what they’ll do and we can’t control it, then we can move on and find inner peace versus holding onto resentment and continually be bothered by someone else’s choices, knowing full well we can’t control the choices of others.

Helps me to put things into perspective more. Thanks, Scott!
Iselma Kruger wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 04:54 I found the sentence: “The whole world is an eternal work of art, and we are the creative loving artists.” very inspiring. I always try to live my life with beauty, turning everything I do into art through my passion.
Grace Kariuki N wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 04:46 This was very powerful: "We are in a sense living in heaven already, but whether it is a living heaven or a living hell is in the eye of the beholder because a miserable person with the opposite of inner peace will be miserable and discontent even in the most heavenly of heavens."

Wow, it's surreal to see my own words quoted and appreciated by you all. Thank you so much!!! :D

Please do also submit your favorite quotes using the following link:

https://onlinebookclub.org/quotes/submi ... _id=248825

Then others can "like" them and them to their own lists with just a click. :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”