How would you answer the opening question?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, forward your receive via email to verification@onlinebookclub.org and you will be given access to this forum.
Forum rules
You are viewing the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=164698
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

How would you answer the opening question?

Post by Brenda Creech »

The opening question in the book is "If you went to sleep in your body in your bed with your memories, and awoke in my body in my bed with my memories, would you notice a difference? Would there even be a difference?" What would your answer be to the question? Do you think you would know the difference between your memories and someone else's if you woke up in their body?
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I thought that was an interesting question, too. My initial thought would be that I would notice a difference, but then thinking about it more, I’m not so sure. If I woke up in someone else’s body with their memories, then maybe I wouldn’t notice a difference since I would essentially be living their life. I probably wouldn’t remember my own memories and just the person I woke up to be.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

This is a very tricky question and I am of different opinions regarding this. The first is that, if I were to wake up with your memories in your bed and body and I have no recollection of ever being in my body and bed, then I believe there would neither be any difference nor one to notice. However, if I were to wake up in your body and bed with your memories and I somehow still have some recollection of being in my bed and body with my memories, then yes, there would be a difference. What would be the difference you would ask?! Well, I would certainly know that memories I am experiencing currently aren't mine at all as you wouldn't have gone through every experience I have been through. Moreover, the body and interior of the bedroom would certainly be testament that I am definitely not in my body and bed. Just my opion hey!
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Crossroads by Andrew Slac
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

How would you know the difference? Do you still retain your memories and theirs? I don't believe that you would know a difference unless you retained the memories prior to, because you would only know what your memory is.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Imbored89
In It Together VIP
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Imbored89 »

If our memories and lives were swapped, then I probably wouldn't notice any difference at all after waking up because I'm not very focused or observant. However, if we go beyond memories and think about habits, likes and dislikes, regular approaches or solutions to problems, or anything that could have been affected by my previous memories and experiences, then I might feel like something is off at the end of the day because how I feel would not exactly match up with my new set of memories. It depends on how the day goes, how much time passes, and how clearly I can think. I do tend to evaluate myself quite a bit. Since the switch seems sudden and instantaneous, I started thinking that the new memories and life wouldn't have had much of an effect on my personality, values, mindset, learning disabilities, etc. So, I would not know the difference between my memories and someone else's because our memories, lives, and bodies are completely separate, but there is a possibility that I could change later on, or become more similar to who I was on a psychological level before the memory, body, and life swap.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

hsimone wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 18:37 I thought that was an interesting question, too. My initial thought would be that I would notice a difference, but then thinking about it more, I’m not so sure. If I woke up in someone else’s body with their memories, then maybe I wouldn’t notice a difference since I would essentially be living their life. I probably wouldn’t remember my own memories and just the person I woke up to be.
That sounds very logical! It is a hard question to answer! Thanks for the response!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Limpho Mojakisane wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 21:07 This is a very tricky question and I am of different opinions regarding this. The first is that, if I were to wake up with your memories in your bed and body and I have no recollection of ever being in my body and bed, then I believe there would neither be any difference nor one to notice. However, if I were to wake up in your body and bed with your memories and I somehow still have some recollection of being in my bed and body with my memories, then yes, there would be a difference. What would be the difference you would ask?! Well, I would certainly know that memories I am experiencing currently aren't mine at all as you wouldn't have gone through every experience I have been through. Moreover, the body and interior of the bedroom would certainly be testament that I am definitely not in my body and bed. Just my opion hey!
That is an excellent answer! Thanks for responding!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Stephanie_Chapman wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 02:36 How would you know the difference? Do you still retain your memories and theirs? I don't believe that you would know a difference unless you retained the memories prior to, because you would only know what your memory is.
That us an interesting thought! Thanks for reaponding!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Imbored89 wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 04:39 If our memories and lives were swapped, then I probably wouldn't notice any difference at all after waking up because I'm not very focused or observant. However, if we go beyond memories and think about habits, likes and dislikes, regular approaches or solutions to problems, or anything that could have been affected by my previous memories and experiences, then I might feel like something is off at the end of the day because how I feel would not exactly match up with my new set of memories. It depends on how the day goes, how much time passes, and how clearly I can think. I do tend to evaluate myself quite a bit. Since the switch seems sudden and instantaneous, I started thinking that the new memories and life wouldn't have had much of an effect on my personality, values, mindset, learning disabilities, etc. So, I would not know the difference between my memories and someone else's because our memories, lives, and bodies are completely separate, but there is a possibility that I could change later on, or become more similar to who I was on a psychological level before the memory, body, and life swap.
That makes sense. You may be out of sync but not sure why! Thanks for responding!
B. Creech
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

This is indeed a question that hooks you. I believe if something like this happened with me, I would not notice anything amiss at first. However, gradually, things might seem off, especially if I retain bits and parts of my own memories. Perhaps, I would go on a quest to find the why of things then.
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Brenda Creech wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 08:06
hsimone wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 18:37 I thought that was an interesting question, too. My initial thought would be that I would notice a difference, but then thinking about it more, I’m not so sure. If I woke up in someone else’s body with their memories, then maybe I wouldn’t notice a difference since I would essentially be living their life. I probably wouldn’t remember my own memories and just the person I woke up to be.
That sounds very logical! It is a hard question to answer! Thanks for the response!
It is a hard one to answer! Part of me would want to remember because I love my life now, but the other part thinks “if I could remember, then I would never be happy since I would always be wanting my previous life and not the one that I woke up to,” which then leads to the question - would you want to remember if you could?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Ambrose John
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ambrose-john.html
Latest Review: The Receptionist by Marie-Paul Corelli

Post by Ambrose John »

If I woke up in another person's body, which means I will inherit their brain, then I won't feel any difference but certainly, I will know something change.
Tara D Morgan
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The colour purple
Currently Reading: Angel of Liverpool
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tara-d-morgan.html
Latest Review: Good Evening, Sir George by Donald Yule
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tara D Morgan »

Interesting question. I think if I woke up in a different body with only that persons memories I wouldn't know that I had ever been me. I pondered this for a while before answering and it got me thinking about my Dad who had a major stroke last year. Everything was affected, including his motor skills and his short and long term memory. I show him photos of what life was like before and he is very interested but forgets anything we've talked about almost straight away and he doesn't recognise himself in photos or remember the occasion. I imagine waking up in a different body with that persons memories would be very similar!
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

hsimone wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 12:26
Brenda Creech wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 08:06
It is a hard one to answer! Part of me would want to remember because I love my life now, but the other part thinks “if I could remember, then I would never be happy since I would always be wanting my previous life and not the one that I woke up to,” which then leads to the question - would you want to remember if you could?
Yes, I would probably ask myself where my memories went! I think I would know if I woke up in someone else's body with their memories.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Kajori Sheryl Paul wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 10:07 This is indeed a question that hooks you. I believe if something like this happened with me, I would not notice anything amiss at first. However, gradually, things might seem off, especially if I retain bits and parts of my own memories. Perhaps, I would go on a quest to find the why of things then.
I think I would know immediately, but if not then, like you, I would eventually realize what had happened and I would go on a quest myself! Thank you for commenting!
B. Creech

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”