How would you answer the opening question?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, forward your receive via email to verification@onlinebookclub.org and you will be given access to this forum.
Forum rules
You are viewing the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=164698
Hannah Jones 8
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Cruising Through The Teens, Easier Than It Seems
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-jones-8.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Re: How would you answer the opening question?

Post by Hannah Jones 8 »

Hi Brenda,

Thank you for this question. My thought process is that if I were to wake up in another's body, I don't think I would notice a 'difference', primarily because there wouldn't be a difference I don't think. If all of the memories were linked to the 'host' body, I would continue to believe that I was the 'host' body. My reason for thinking this way is that I have - to date - not doubted whether I am currently in someone else's body, and so cannot say I have a reason to think it would be different under these circumstances. However, I am aware that this might not be the case for everyone, and so would be interested to hear what others might say regarding this topic and my theory.

Hannah :)
Mbali Qalinge
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: He
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbali-qalinge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Mbali Qalinge »

If I woke up in someone's body with their memories and not mine, it would be hard to notice a difference; I'd think I was indeed that person and could have never been someone else. It's possible that I may feel disconnected somehow, believe there's something I'm missing though I might not be able to pinpoint it.
Stacey Harkins 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacey-harkins-1.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Stacey Harkins 1 »

I am going to answer the question with another question. If I woke up in someone else's body with someone else's memories, would I still have my own memories as well? If not then I believe the answer is no, because how would you notice a difference if your only memories are their's?
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

That would be one funny experience. But I wonder if it would be possible to wake up with my own memory or would I wake up with theirs? I thought about this long and hard. But that aside, everything would probably feel different since I'm not used to being in this particular body.
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

If I woke up in someone else's body with someone else's memories, then I would be them. I would then continue to live their life. Previously, they didn't share the same thoughts and memories as me, so how would I even know that there had been a change? Their brain would have my memories, so I wouldn't even be aware of the switch.
UcheNduka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchenduka.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by UcheNduka »

It's impossible to know, especially if I wake up in your body and your memories.
Everything will seem normal to be honest.
It's a very thought-provoking sentence and I think the author is trying to let us know we're all one no matter our background or physical appearance.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Wow, this is a definite brain-breaker question that arises so many follow-up questions!
Do I remember anything from my previous life, I think this will be the defining question. If I only wake up with your body, memories, room, etc. Then I don't believe I would recall my own life as I will basically be you. If I have any nuance or idea of my previous memories, I am sure I would be able to notice the difference or at least feel that something is off or not right. This is definitely something to think about!
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

If I didn't have my memories, I believe I could not see the difference. Maybe I would have a certain feeling of misplacement or loss at some point.
Rob White
In It Together VIP
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Maestro Monologue

Post by Rob White »

If I woke up in our body but still had my mind, then I would remember "me" not you, and be confused what to do? If I woke up in your mind but still had my body, then I would quickly accept the changes in physical form I was experiencing.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

Technically, if I bodied their memories and thoughts when I wake up(their being the person whose body I wake up in), I wouldn't realize I was experiencing someone else's life. But, if I retained a functional part of me, no matter how small, I would come to question certain things in the long run. We often witness these circumstances in life, feeling like imposters or feeling like we are in the wrong body. The big question is then, "what if we are already living swapped lives."
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

The reader will be left wondering after reading this question. If something similar happened to me, I think I would initially be unaffected. However, after time, something might start to feel odd, especially if I continue to remember some of my own recollections. I might then embark on a quest to discover why things are the way they are.
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

If that happens, I don't think there will be a chance to realize that I'm not in my place. What if I think that I'm it's me but with a strange body because it's another bed that matches the thoughts?
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik
Cerel_Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cerel-moni.html
Latest Review: Maddie's Chronicle by Daniel O Stuhlman

Post by Cerel_Moni »

I do not think one would be able to tell as the only thing linking us to our existence are our memories and bodies. This is the same reason why babies are a plain slate and begin to build their lives from scratch after birth.
kim farrell 1
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-farrell-1.html
Latest Review: The Dream Primer by Jeff Meyer
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by kim farrell 1 »

What an interesting question to pose to yourself or to someone else. If I fell asleep in my body in my bed with my memories but woke up in your bed and body; with your memories not my own. I believe I would still be me yet living your life. The thought of that actually being able to come into existence is frustrating as I can only imagine the inner tormoil that would occur , of wanting to yell and say "why don't you see me? Why can't I be me? Who is me?" I think the real question is are you who you are from the outside in or the inside out? I know for me I could never stop being who I am even with someone else's memories. If it was that easy just to forget and be someone else we would do it several times a year. Thank you for making me think. Great pull from the book and way to go on the topic!
kim farrell 1
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-farrell-1.html
Latest Review: The Dream Primer by Jeff Meyer
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by kim farrell 1 »

What an interesting question to pose to yourself or to someone else. If I fell asleep in my body in my bed with my memories but woke up in your bed and body; with your memories not my own. I believe I would still be me yet living your life. The thought of that actually being able to come into existence is frustrating as I can only imagine the inner tormoil that would occur , of wanting to yell and say "why don't you see me? Why can't I be me? Who is me?" I think the real question is are you who you are from the outside in or the inside out? I know for me I could never stop being who I am even with someone else's memories. If it was that easy just to forget and be someone else we would do it several times a year. Thank you for making me think. Great pull from the book and way to go on the topic!

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”