How would you answer the opening question?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, forward your receive via email to verification@onlinebookclub.org and you will be given access to this forum.
Forum rules
You are viewing the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=164698
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: How would you answer the opening question?

Post by Damian Keyes »

I saw this movie starring Sir Ben Kingsley and Ryan Reynolds where Kingsley's character put himself into Reynold's body. Unknowingly, Kingsley starts getting these visions, memories, and physical instincts of the new body he is in. I said all this to say: yes, I would know the difference. I believe that we are all spirits and no matter what body I may inhabit, I will notice if I was in somebody else's body because something will feel off. This question made me think of people who have schizoaffective disorder. Those individuals are comprised of multiple personalities and I think their host self will answer this question with a yes.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Post by David Chijindu »

Since our body and memories are the only things holding us to our existence, I doubt one could tell. For the same reason, newborns start their lives completely from scratch and are treated as blank slates.
Kayleigh Fossett
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Kayleigh Fossett »

I would like to think that my memories will always be mine, however if I were to wake up in others body with their memories (assuming I would have no recollection of my experiences memories) I do not think I would notice. I do not think humans are much different subconsciously, so waking up in another's body with their memories would be just like another day. I do wonder that if I did wake up without any recollection of my previous body and memories would there be instances of deja vu that I would not originally have, but would grow over time.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: Ten Assholes and a Curmudgeon by Bruce Workman

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

Heidi M Simone wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 12:26
Brenda Creech wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 08:06
hsimone wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 18:37 I thought that was an interesting question, too. My initial thought would be that I would notice a difference, but then thinking about it more, I’m not so sure. If I woke up in someone else’s body with their memories, then maybe I wouldn’t notice a difference since I would essentially be living their life. I probably wouldn’t remember my own memories and just the person I woke up to be.
That sounds very logical! It is a hard question to answer! Thanks for the response!
It is a hard one to answer! Part of me would want to remember because I love my life now, but the other part thinks “if I could remember, then I would never be happy since I would always be wanting my previous life and not the one that I woke up to,” which then leads to the question - would you want to remember if you could?
I believe that if I wake up in another persons body, I would most likely notice a difference. Even if my memories don't help me, I think it would be weird waking up as someone else. I would definitely want to remember.
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Trusting People by Guy De Furia Ph D

Post by Vivian Writes »

This question certainly called for deep thought and reflection. I think that unless I had some kind of amnesia of my own memories, then I would be able to tell the difference and it would feel really strange indeed, regardless of the fact that I had the other person’s memories. That’s just my opinion.
Diamond Harrell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamond-harrell.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Diamond Harrell »

I would like to believe I would notice the difference. Maybe not the body initially, but the environment. Would I be in my home or their home? With their family or my family. I think that sometimes we're so stuck on autopilot it makes us less responsive or dissociated with the day-to-day of life. That question makes you stop and analyze what we really pay attention to.
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Affliction: Growing Up With a Closeted Gay Dad by Laura Hall
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

If I woke up in your bed with your memories and had none of my own, I would think I was you.
Sabriah Overton
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Heal Thyself: For Health and Longevity
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabriah-overton.html
Latest Review: Like a Lily Among the Thorns by Karen S. Bell

Post by Sabriah Overton »

Such an interesting and intriguing question. I honestly was hooked and wanted to read more soon as I read the opening question. I honestly believe in reincarnation and the possiblity of living a life before this in a previous body/species on a different planet/dimension. There is so much about the world that we do not know and the possibilities are endless. So, hypothetically, if I have lived before... when I was birthed in the body as "me" I had no memories except for the ones that I have created over the course of 27 years. So what if, when we are reborn, we start with a clean slate with fresh new memories; no longer having any recollection of who we once were. I thought about this when I read the opening question. Based on this theory, the answer would be no. If I were to wake up as someone else, I do not think that I would remember who I was or have any of my memories. However, I feel that maybe if I dug deep enough or had a similar circumstance then maybe an old memory would be triggered and I may end up gathering information as to who I once was, but I do not think that I would just have those memories.

Fun fact: When I was a child, I used to have dreams where I was a butterfly or a blade of grass and all types of other conscious creation and always wondered if I were getting a sneak peak into one of my previous lives.
Joanna Olson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanna-olson.html
Latest Review: One Hand Two Hearts by S.K. Alfstad

Post by Joanna Olson »

This question totally threw me off and got me thinking right away! I read it so many times and I'm still not sure how I would answer it.
Joanna Olson
@joannasbookshelf :D
Feliceness
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feliceness.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by Feliceness »

If I awoke in another's bed, body, and held their memories, I can only think it would be akin to a nightmare.

If I still think the way I think but it doesn't fit where or who I am that indeed would be confusing.

For example, if my thinking is to get up and brush my long dark hair and I wake to a short blonde pixie cut... And I do remember getting a pixie cut, but I have thoughts of a habit of brushing long dark hair... That could drive a person to insanity.

Picture more of those confusing thoughts and those confusing memories.

I hope I never have to experience anything like that.
:reading-6: Feliceness Means Happiness
Crs webco
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: An American Conspiracy
Currently Reading: Resonant
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crs-webco.html
Latest Review: An American Conspiracy by Alan C. Moore
Reading Device: B07WGJ9KT3

Post by Crs webco »

BriahRay wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 16:27 Such an interesting and intriguing question. I honestly was hooked and wanted to read more soon as I read the opening question. I honestly believe in reincarnation and the possiblity of living a life before this in a previous body/species on a different planet/dimension. There is so much about the world that we do not know and the possibilities are endless. So, hypothetically, if I have lived before... when I was birthed in the body as "me" I had no memories except for the ones that I have created over the course of 27 years. So what if, when we are reborn, we start with a clean slate with fresh new memories; no longer having any recollection of who we once were. I thought about this when I read the opening question. Based on this theory, the answer would be no. If I were to wake up as someone else, I do not think that I would remember who I was or have any of my memories. However, I feel that maybe if I dug deep enough or had a similar circumstance then maybe an old memory would be triggered and I may end up gathering information as to who I once was, but I do not think that I would just have those memories.

Fun fact: When I was a child, I used to have dreams where I was a butterfly or a blade of grass and all types of other conscious creation and always wondered if I were getting a sneak peak into one of my previous lives.
I must say that the longer I thought about the question, the more the subject of reincarnation, or the returning of souls to a new life, become foremost in my mind. Could the "deja vu" moments that some tend to experience be breakthrough memories of a time in another body? The question of whether you would know if you woke up in someone else's bed with their memories, not your own, I believe, depends on how strong your soul or personality is in your being. The stronger your sense of self, the more likely you would feel that something was off with your world. Just my thoughts....
Sabriah Overton
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Heal Thyself: For Health and Longevity
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabriah-overton.html
Latest Review: Like a Lily Among the Thorns by Karen S. Bell

Post by Sabriah Overton »

That makes a lot of sense. I definitely love your outlook on how the impact of the imprint of your soul/personality/overall being is to the physical body would determine whether or not you would realize if you have woken up in someone else's body with their memories versus your own. I always have wondered about the metaphysical phenomena of "deja vu". I always thought of them as visions to see our future self, future conversations, and future situations prior to us actually experiencing them. However, I do feel that when we are sleeping and dreaming, I believe that we are travelling as multidimensional beings through different realms, planets, and dimensions.
Jennifer Poulin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Angelic Messenger
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-poulin.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Jennifer Poulin »

If I wake up from a dream in another person's body, I suppose I will awake as a new being - a new creation like an infant without prior memories. By waking up as someone else, I would like to think I could live in the present moment without caring about memories and instead be able to live in the now.

I do believe we are created to be united together as part of the spiritual world, and the body is just a physical manifestation to live out that as humans. People are uniquely identified just enough to be distinguished from each other but overall seen as one love. So what truly makes me different from you- my memories and your memories- your life and my life- are we not truly the same?
Olga Markova
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The Cursed by Beth Schluter

Post by Olga Markova »

Imbored89 wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 04:39 If our memories and lives were swapped, then I probably wouldn't notice any difference at all after waking up because I'm not very focused or observant. However, if we go beyond memories and think about habits, likes and dislikes, regular approaches or solutions to problems, or anything that could have been affected by my previous memories and experiences, then I might feel like something is off at the end of the day because how I feel would not exactly match up with my new set of memories.
I think I agree. I think it depends on what "I" (or "you") is - the complete mental being save for the memories? Or a mindless bundle of energy? If the former, then obviously I would notice that I strayed away somewhere. If the latter, then it would not make any difference in which physical and mental "shell" I woke up. This question reminds me of the eternal debate I have with my mum - I say that if my father were another person, I would still be me but looking different and maybe having a different birth date and age. And my mum is adamant that I would not exist at all, because any child by a different father would be a totally different person. A very interesting question!
Olga Markova
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The Cursed by Beth Schluter

Post by Olga Markova »

Olga Markova wrote: 15 Feb 2023, 17:18
Imbored89 wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 04:39 If our memories and lives were swapped, then I probably wouldn't notice any difference at all after waking up because I'm not very focused or observant. However, if we go beyond memories and think about habits, likes and dislikes, regular approaches or solutions to problems, or anything that could have been affected by my previous memories and experiences, then I might feel like something is off at the end of the day because how I feel would not exactly match up with my new set of memories.
I think I agree. I think it depends on what "I" (or "you") is - the complete mental being save for the memories? Or a mindless bundle of energy? If the former, then obviously I would notice that I strayed away somewhere. If the latter, then it would not make any difference in which physical and mental "shell" I woke up. This question reminds me of the eternal debate I have with my mum - I say that if my father were another person, I would still be me but looking different and maybe having a different birth date and age. And my mum is adamant that I would not exist at all, because any child by a different father would be a totally different person. A very interesting question!
Yesterday I thought and wrote this but on reflection, considering the amended opening question, revisiting the book, I think I am reaching a different conclusion, so I am synching this post with my thoughts on the philosophy forum. To set my line of thought in context, the book distinguishes between the "two Yous" - the "real" which is the conscience, and the "unreal" which is the body with all its "dress up" of the physical and social attributes. So the next question is what conscience is made of. If, as in the opening question, we remove from a person's conscience the person's memories and replace them with the memories of another person, would the conscious identity of the original person remain? I personally think that memories are the premise of a person's consciousness. Humans have memories from as far back as 2.5 years old and build their life experience on them - if I learned how to read, it becomes a memory which I use to read books. If I cooked the food, it becomes the memory which I use to eat what I cooked, etc. From this perspective, if we replace the memories with another's person, the person's identity will be replaced with that of that another person. So my answer to these questions is that I would not notice the difference, and there would be no difference to notice. This will be not because I would still be the real me. It will be because I would become the two Yous.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”