How would you answer the opening question?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, forward your receive via email to verification@onlinebookclub.org and you will be given access to this forum.
Forum rules
You are viewing the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=164698
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Re: How would you answer the opening question?

Post by Brenda Creech »

RonnyCollins27 wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 01:21 A question that made me pause. I suppose it would depend on what the universe had in store for me and why the change came about.
If it was done with intention by myself, I would make sure I was aware of the fact I was wearing a different body suit and try to maintain my own memories.
If done with cruel intentions, I think I'd want to be left clueless of what was happening, not be aware I have someone else's memories. Who knows, it might be nice forgetting my memories and looking at someone else's. But my mother always told me "If you could line up everyone's troubles and pick which one you want, you would always pick your own (nose)". (Yes, my mom always added that part too, or was that me?) I'm not sure if that would pertain to memories but it seems it could.
If it happened today, right now, I wouldn't have a clue I was in the wrong place with the wrong memories. I would just figure its part of the way my life has looked for some time now and make the best of what I was given.
Interesting thoughts! I guess we wouldn't remember that we had been a different person when we went to sleep!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Michelle Nichols wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 11:52 I thought this was a very provocative question. My knee jerk response was, “of course I would notice a difference!”. It didn’t take long for me to reconsider that response. If I were immersed in their memories, and their bodies, I’m not sure I would notice at a conscious level. I wonder about things like muscle memory though, and would the things I used to do, perhaps long ago as a child, and the things they used to do align automatically, or would there be a disconnect? I’ve read some accounts from “glitch in the matrix” type forums that describe some feelings of disconnection or unreality that I think might occur in this situation. Of course, there’s no way to know, but it’s a very interesting idea to play with.
I said once before maybe you would have some deja vu moments. I think anything would be possible if this could actually happen. Thanks for your input!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Justin Christensen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justin-christensen.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Justin Christensen »

I know this is an old question at this point but I really loved this question and got excited when I saw that other people were out here pondering it as well! I have always been in the camp that believes that memories are what makes a person who they are, so for most of my life I would have read that question and said "no, there would not be a difference so you wouldn't notice anything amiss".

I didn't love Scott's book (I know, I know), but I DID really like his take that who YOU are is deeper than your memories, or even your personality. That there is some kernel of YOU-ness (which Scott attributed to consciousness) that exists deep inside of all of us. That idea moved me. And based on that concept, I think you would notice something. I don't know if you would ever be able to put your finger on it, or if you would just have a day or two where everything felt "off", but now I'm convinced that at minimum you would know that something was different.

Thanks for kicking off this thread, sorry I'm so late to the party!
Krista Kirby-Dempsey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2483
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-kirby-dempsey.html
Latest Review: The House of Spark by Luminita Laflash

Post by Krista Kirby-Dempsey »

Are we still oursevles? Or have we become the author? It really just depends on what those specifics are.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

JUSTIN CHRISTENSEN wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 12:31 I know this is an old question at this point but I really loved this question and got excited when I saw that other people were out here pondering it as well! I have always been in the camp that believes that memories are what makes a person who they are, so for most of my life I would have read that question and said "no, there would not be a difference so you wouldn't notice anything amiss".

I didn't love Scott's book (I know, I know), but I DID really like his take that who YOU are is deeper than your memories, or even your personality. That there is some kernel of YOU-ness (which Scott attributed tff
JUSTIN CHRISTENSEN wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 12:31 I know this is an old question at this point but I really loved this question and got excited when I saw that other people were out here pondering it as well! I have always been in the camp that believes that memories are what makes a person who they are, so for most of my life I would have read that question and said "no, there would not be a difference so you wouldn't notice anything amiss".

I didn't love Scott's book (I know, I know), but I DID really like his take that who YOU are is deeper than your memories, or even your personality. That there is some kernel of YOU-ness (which Scott attributed to consciousness) that exists deep inside of all of us. That idea moved me. And based on that concept, I think you would notice something. I don't know if you would ever be able to put your finger on it, or if you would just have a day or two where everything felt "off", but now I'm convinced that at minimum you would know that something was different.

o consciousness) that exists deep inside of all of us. That idea moved me. And based on that concept, I think you would notice something. I don't know if you would ever be able to put your finger on it, or if you would just have a day or two where everything felt "off", but now I'm convinced that at minimum you would know that something was different.

Excellent comment! It is a deep, thought-provoking question. I don't think there is a 'correct' answer. I think it is meant to inspire each person who reads it to take a look at themself and discover who they really are. I didn't agree with everything in the book either, but I found a lot of things that made me stop and think. Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Krista Kirby-Dempsey wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 13:29 Are we still oursevles? Or have we become the author? It really just depends on what those specifics are.
The question certainly makes you stop and think, doesn't it? Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
Izzy Kruger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izzy-kruger.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Thomas Alfie

Post by Izzy Kruger »

I think it depends whether you think that your "youness" resides in your body, or in you soul. I believe that my soul would notice the difference.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

i honestly do not think I would notice that big of a difference. Although people are unaware of things, many people often live very similar lives with only the most minor of details, so im not sure i would be that aware until a good while later
Michael Adam Glidden Forteski
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-adam-glidden-forteski.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Michael Adam Glidden Forteski »

This event could potentially lead to some kind of breakdown or disorder. I don't think the human brain has the processing power to sustain that singular event. One set of memories would probably categorized as lucid dreams.
Michaela York
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Michaela York »

I believe I would know a difference, at least I hope. Maybe not at first, but the disconnection emotionally to the memories would be a first red flag. I am sure my personality would trigger people noticing me as someone completely different as well.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

This is such a hard and interesting opening question. I would say that if you woke up with only the memories of another in your head in their body then it would just be like waking up and you wouldn't notice a difference for what are we but bodies with memories in our heads?
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

If I wake up in your bed with your memories and still having my memories intact, then I believe I would see a difference. I would know my memories different from your memories. But if I went to sleep and wake up in your bed with your memories with none of my memories intact, then i would not notice any difference and think I am you.
Abby-Young
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Sarah J Mass
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abby-young.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 9321

Post by Abby-Young »

Like many others, I have the same follow up question. Do I rember my old self when I wake up in your body, in your, bed, with your memories. If I don't remember anything about myself then iqould fully belive that I am now you. I wouldn't be able to tell a difference. I would continue to live your life as my own without ever knowing that I'm not myself anymore. However if I did remember myself then I would know that I'm not in the correct body, or world.

At the same time though after reading this book I'm starting to think that it would be harder to tell the difference between yourself and the body that you woke up in. If all humans are aware of each other, their struggles, and hiw to be kind to each other, then I belive that it would be harder to tell if you are infact the real you.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

It would depend on whether I had the memory of my other life. However, this would probably be confusing and I would convince myself that it was just a dream and this new body has always been mine.
Lauren Hanna
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Last to Vanish
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-hanna.html
Latest Review: Mamma & Me by Eloisa B. Lucas

Post by Lauren Hanna »

This is such an interesting question. One I have never thought of before. If I left my body and awoke in someone else's body with their memories, would I notice a difference? Probably not. If I had no memories of myself, I wouldn't know something was amiss. This is intriguing to think about.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”