How would you answer the opening question?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, forward your receive via email to verification@onlinebookclub.org and you will be given access to this forum.
Forum rules
You are viewing the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=164698
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Re: How would you answer the opening question?

Post by Brenda Creech »

OTrain M wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 05:35 Yes, I would. I am the product of my history, thoughts, and memories. So if I would wake up with those things gone, I would ask myself who am I. That question I think would bug me forever because now I will have to start over to make new memories.
It might effect some people negatively to the point they could never accept it and others may be thrilled to walk in someone else's shoes! There are a lot of possibilities for answers to the question! Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Limpho Mojakisane wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 21:07 This is a very tricky question and I am of different opinions regarding this. The first is that, if I were to wake up with your memories in your bed and body and I have no recollection of ever being in my body and bed, then I believe there would neither be any difference nor one to notice. However, if I were to wake up in your body and bed with your memories and I somehow still have some recollection of being in my bed and body with my memories, then yes, there would be a difference. What would be the difference you would ask?! Well, I would certainly know that memories I am experiencing currently aren't mine at all as you wouldn't have gone through every experience I have been through. Moreover, the body and interior of the bedroom would certainly be testament that I am definitely not in my body and bed. Just my opion hey!
You took the words out of my mouth. This was exactly what I was thinking. If I had no traces of anything that was before, I wouldn't probably notice the difference. But it would all change if I could somehow remember what was before. Be it as it may, I do hope I never have to find out an answer to this question the hard way! I am comfortable with my body, memories, and thoughts, and sleep better in my own bed! :lol:
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Nyam Bura
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyam-bura.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nyam Bura »

If my memory was cleared and I woke up with a different memory, I probably would not notice. But if I retained any of my memories, then definitely I would feel that something is amiss. I believe that memories and experiences are what make us who we are.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

OTrain M wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 05:35 Yes, I would. I am the product of my history, thoughts, and memories. So if I would wake up with those things gone, I would ask myself who am I. That question I think would bug me forever because now I will have to start over to make new memories.
And maybe you would always feel like you had lost a big part of yourself that you would never get back! Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 16:14
Limpho Mojakisane wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 21:07 This is a very tricky question and I am of different opinions regarding this. The first is that, if I were to wake up with your memories in your bed and body and I have no recollection of ever being in my body and bed, then I believe there would neither be any difference nor one to notice. However, if I were to wake up in your body and bed with your memories and I somehow still have some recollection of being in my bed and body with my memories, then yes, there would be a difference. What would be the difference you would ask?! Well, I would certainly know that memories I am experiencing currently aren't mine at all as you wouldn't have gone through every experience I have been through. Moreover, the body and interior of the bedroom would certainly be testament that I am definitely not in my body and bed. Just my opion hey!
You took the words out of my mouth. This was exactly what I was thinking. If I had no traces of anything that was before, I wouldn't probably notice the difference. But it would all change if I could somehow remember what was before. Be it as it may, I do hope I never have to find out an answer to this question the hard way! I am comfortable with my body, memories, and thoughts, and sleep better in my own bed! :lol:
Absolutely! That is the issue for me. If I had absolutely no memories I would be fine. But if I had memories of before this happened I would probably torture myself forever wondering how this happened!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Grace Kariuki N wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 02:28 If my memory was cleared and I woke up with a different memory, I probably would not notice. But if I retained any of my memories, then definitely I would feel that something is amiss. I believe that memories and experiences are what make us who we are.
I agree with you on that! Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

At first thought, I would think I wouldn't notice if I woke up in someone else's body if I had their memories instead of my own. But, I do think I would start to have some deja vu and some feelings that something wasn't right. Like, if I ran into my husband, those emotions would probably still come up even if I don't have the memory of him.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Sarah Nichols 7 wrote: 12 Oct 2022, 14:31 At first thought, I would think I wouldn't notice if I woke up in someone else's body if I had their memories instead of my own. But, I do think I would start to have some deja vu and some feelings that something wasn't right. Like, if I ran into my husband, those emotions would probably still come up even if I don't have the memory of him.
Yes, that was my first instinct - that there would be some deja vu moments! Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Will of the World
Bookshelf Size: 2290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 19%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

I initially thought well its just memories I would still have my personality and because of that I would probably feel these memories are not mine because i wouldnt have acted in the same way as the person the memories belonged to. At the end of the book I am not so sure anymore. But I am really trying to fit my personality into this still. I always felt like personality is part of my soul. Even though bologically of course it
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Will of the World
Bookshelf Size: 2290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 19%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

Initially I thought, well, it's just memories. I would still have my personality and because of that, I would probably feel these memories are not mine because I wouldn't have acted in the same way as the person the memories belonged to. At the end of the book, I am not so sure anymore. But I am really trying to fit my personality into this still. I always felt like personality is part of my soul (even though biologically, of course, it's just in my brain). That it contained my individuality. This book quite worked my imagination and shook my beliefs. I will need a re-read at some point.
Danielle Briggs
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle-briggs.html
Latest Review: Moonlit Nights by Jacob Parr

Post by Danielle Briggs »

I feel like I would not notice a difference, since I would not even know I was anyone different. I would not remember that I even had a different body with different memories to miss.
RonnyCollins27
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: complex PTSD Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronnycollins27.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by RonnyCollins27 »

A question that made me pause. I suppose it would depend on what the universe had in store for me and why the change came about.
If it was done with intention by myself, I would make sure I was aware of the fact I was wearing a different body suit and try to maintain my own memories.
If done with cruel intentions, I think I'd want to be left clueless of what was happening, not be aware I have someone else's memories. Who knows, it might be nice forgetting my memories and looking at someone else's. But my mother always told me "If you could line up everyone's troubles and pick which one you want, you would always pick your own (nose)". (Yes, my mom always added that part too, or was that me?) I'm not sure if that would pertain to memories but it seems it could.
If it happened today, right now, I wouldn't have a clue I was in the wrong place with the wrong memories. I would just figure its part of the way my life has looked for some time now and make the best of what I was given.
Michelle Nichols
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-nichols.html
Latest Review: The Dream Primer by Jeff Meyer

Post by Michelle Nichols »

I thought this was a very provocative question. My knee jerk response was, “of course I would notice a difference!”. It didn’t take long for me to reconsider that response. If I were immersed in their memories, and their bodies, I’m not sure I would notice at a conscious level. I wonder about things like muscle memory though, and would the things I used to do, perhaps long ago as a child, and the things they used to do align automatically, or would there be a disconnect? I’ve read some accounts from “glitch in the matrix” type forums that describe some feelings of disconnection or unreality that I think might occur in this situation. Of course, there’s no way to know, but it’s a very interesting idea to play with.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Marie Chalupova wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 16:00 Initially I thought, well, it's just memories. I would still have my personality and because of that, I would probably feel these memories are not mine because I wouldn't have acted in the same way as the person the memories belonged to. At the end of the book, I am not so sure anymore. But I am really trying to fit my personality into this still. I always felt like personality is part of my soul (even though biologically, of course, it's just in my brain). That it contained my individuality. This book quite worked my imagination and shook my beliefs. I will need a re-read at some point.
This question does make you stop and think! If you woke up in another person's body with that person's memories perrhaps you would also have that person's personality?!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Danielle Briggs wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 13:55 I feel like I would not notice a difference, since I would not even know I was anyone different. I would not remember that I even had a different body with different memories to miss.
That seems logical to me! Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”