Possible Update to the Opening Question in Next Edition -- Your vote decides!

Use this forum to discuss the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, forward your receive via email to verification@onlinebookclub.org and you will be given access to this forum.
Forum rules
You are viewing the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=164698

Which do you prefer?

Poll ended at 26 Oct 2022, 09:45

Keep the opening question as is.
19%
Add the phrase "instead of yours" to clarify the opening the question.
81%

Total votes: 27

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Possible Update to the Opening Question in Next Edition -- Your vote decides!

Post by Scott »

If you haven't already seen it, please check out the wonderful topic created by Brenda Creech, How would you answer the opening question?

After seeing some of the answers there, I'm thinking for the second edition of the book I might add a small clarification to the Opening Question to make it read as follows:

"If you went to sleep in your body in your bed with your memories, and awoke in my body in my bed with my memories instead of yours, would you notice a difference? Would there even be a difference to notice?"

The only change would be the addition of the phrase "instead of yours".

I think that would make the question more clearly express what I actually had in mind, but on the other hand perhaps that would make the question to easy to answer and not pique the curiosity of the reader as much. The main goal of starting with a question is to get the reader thinking for themselves, with free-spirited creativity, to go along with the idea in the intro by Ram Dass, that idea essentially being that what the book says (i.e. the answers to such questions) are already within the reader and the book at best just helps them find what they already know within themselves, and perhaps more importantly to help them see that there is another person and by extension many other people and beings in this world that feel like they feel and know what they know, and that we aren't alone but rather in it together.

What do you think?

"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I agree that the addition of "instead of yours" would make the thought more clear. Also, I believe this would not take away from the introspective aspect of the question. I mean I would be equally curious and would give the same amount of thought to the question, even with the addition. However, this would make me completely put myself in someone else's shoes, without thinking about the fact that there would still be a bit of me (i.e my memories) in someone else's body.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

I prefer the addition of 'instead of yours', as it makes the question clearer. It clarifies that we have no memory of our own but just the other person's.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Ambrose John
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ambrose-john.html
Latest Review: The Receptionist by Marie-Paul Corelli

Post by Ambrose John »

I think adding the phrase, 'instead of yours', will make the question clearer has a clearer question will attract a better answer.
Skyler Grey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skyler-grey.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Skyler Grey »

Yes, this is a good change. I think I saw people earlier questioning if they would keep their memories, but this change makes it unambiguous that you do not
Reva Parker
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 470
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reva-parker.html
Latest Review: Dear Abigail by Richard Rees

Post by Reva Parker »

I think the addition would make it clearer. They would still have to think about it but know that they wouldn't have both memories. They would have to contemplate if everyone's thoughts are similar or if they would feel different if the thoughts were different, or if they would be oblivious to it all.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I think adding the words "instead of yours" adds clarity to the question.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great thought! I think adding the “instead of yours” would take some of the guessing away and make it clearer, like others have said. I also don’t think that it would take anything away from the original thought/question. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I like the addition of 'instead of yours.' I think it will make readers reflect more on their answers.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Complex questions will make the reader read it several times. But unfortunately some may not grasp the full meaning even after doing so. So I think the new edition is better 😊
Imbored89
In It Together VIP
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Imbored89 »

Since many readers interpret questions differently, they can become more aware of different answers and possibilities as long as they are openminded and put in some time and effort into thinking about their answers, especially during debates or discussions. I think that I was more engaged in answering the question because I had to think about it more before posting my answer. But that's just the thing. It seems that we started to go off on a tangent and didn't think about the question in the way that you wanted. Perhaps my interest in stories of living in other peoples' shoes has something to do with this, but with or without the extra phrase, I still think that the question is interesting. For simplicity and avoiding misdirection, I think that the clarification is a good idea.
Silvio Omutsiambo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvo.html
Latest Review: Beyond Abuse by Martha DuSage

Post by Silvio Omutsiambo »

The addition of that phrase will make the question more clear.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

I think the addition of "instead of yours" will make things clearer. But honestly speaking, I am still thinking about that question. It is so deep. I am yet to fully understand the meaning or message therein.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I believed the adding "instead of yours" would definitely make the quote clearer. It would make the quote more introspective, as the premise is clearer.
PinkRose572
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chika-oroke.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by PinkRose572 »

Personally, I understand the opening question. However, I will support anything that will help clarify the message in this book. The target is to get this book across the whole world and we can't afford any unclear or ambiguous passages. So I support the change!

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”