Humpty Dumpty - Does he actually need to be fixed?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, forward your receive via email to verification@onlinebookclub.org and you will be given access to this forum.
Forum rules
You are viewing the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=164698
Diamond Harrell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamond-harrell.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Re: Humpty Dumpty - Does he actually need to be fixed?

Post by Diamond Harrell »

Yes! I have personally been working on my language in relation to any changes I make. It is not me "fixing" myself, it's simply dedicating effort to learn me more and on a deeper level. It is me becoming the person I truly want to be in this world. This idea of brokeness needs to be taken out of our programming.
Stacey Harkins 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacey-harkins-1.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Stacey Harkins 1 »

I have been "broken". My husband came to the rescue and put me back together. If he had not been there to " fix" me, I would not be here today!
Lydia Matson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Odyssey
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydia-matson.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Lydia Matson »

Sarah Nichols 7 wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 15:24 While it is a sweet idea that Humpty doesn't need to be "fixed" it's also not practical. If Humpty wasn't put back together, he'd still be scattered in pieces unable to move or do anything. I think we often find ourselves when we are broken. Putting ourselves back together is part of that discovery process.
I agree with this, saying he just needs to find himself is like when people tell someone with depression that it's all in their head.
Joanna Olson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanna-olson.html
Latest Review: One Hand Two Hearts by S.K. Alfstad

Post by Joanna Olson »

I really enjoyed this section of the book! Humpty Dumpty fell over and needed to be put back together, but I think in life, when we fall apart we aren't necessarily put back together the same way. We are different based on where we are in our lives.
Olga Markova
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The Cursed by Beth Schluter

Post by Olga Markova »

I think, as the nursery rhyme itself says, no-one, including all the king's horses and all the king's men, can help the person who does not help her(him)self. So my answer is that no, Humpty Dumpty does not need to - and cannot be - fixed. He must pull himself together. I am not saying that no-one needs to help him - only that the initiative to "fix" himself must be his, not of the king's horses and all the king's men.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

As human beings, we are not perfect; we are prone to making mistakes. We were created this way for a reason. It is for each one of us to reach out to that power greater than ourselves. Each one of us strives for the heights, and while some will succeed, others will fail. But despite our failings, we still have hope that our lives, with the help of that supreme being, can be put back together again.
Jessica Cole 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-cole-3.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Jessica Cole 3 »

It is very possible to be broken, whether physically or otherwise. For the purpose of this post/book, we can focus on the otherwise. Often you hear of the term "broken spirit". I take it to mean when life has hit its hardest and one is the lowest level they've ever experienced in life. I've been there once, and so I can tell you it is real. It happens. However, like Humpty Dumpty, I did put myself back together again.

It was necessary for me to be broken. If I hadn't, I wouldn't be thriving today. I thought I was doing "ok" before, but hadn't realized it was only on a surface level. I had cracks all over that I failed to notice. It I hadn't gotten to the breaking point, I would've continued through life with all these cracks that were preventing me from being completely together. I may have stitches now, but stitches are better than cracks. I have scars, but I'm put together and loving life now.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”