Humpty Dumpty - Does he actually need to be fixed?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, forward your receive via email to verification@onlinebookclub.org and you will be given access to this forum.
Forum rules
You are viewing the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=164698
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Humpty Dumpty - Does he actually need to be fixed?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

“Humpty Dumpty doesn’t need a surgeon. He simply needs to find himself.” (loc 594)

Humpty Dumpty is just a silly nursery rhyme, right? It might tell children don’t make careless mistakes or don’t push your luck!

However, what if it wasn’t just a silly nursery rhyme? What if Humpty Dumpty could be a symbol of something more?

When I read this section of this seemingly simple nursery rhyme so many thoughts came to my mind.

For example:
  • How often do we say or think that someone needs to be “fixed” whether we’re reading a story or interacting with a person in our daily lives?
  • What kind of mindset does one need to have to think the opposite of the above question?
  • Is there ever a case where one does need to be “fixed”?
What are your thoughts?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

While it is a sweet idea that Humpty doesn't need to be "fixed" it's also not practical. If Humpty wasn't put back together, he'd still be scattered in pieces unable to move or do anything. I think we often find ourselves when we are broken. Putting ourselves back together is part of that discovery process.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Sarah Nichols 7 wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 15:24 While it is a sweet idea that Humpty doesn't need to be "fixed" it's also not practical. If Humpty wasn't put back together, he'd still be scattered in pieces unable to move or do anything. I think we often find ourselves when we are broken. Putting ourselves back together is part of that discovery process.
It’s interesting because I completely agree with Humpty’s physical form needs to be fixed, but thinking about it metaphorically, are any of us broken? Or do we experience hardships and even trauma that prevents us to be our true selves? Instead saying someone is broken, I wonder if there’s a way to say that we need help in working through those hardships and trauma to feel like ourselves again?

When I was teaching, I would never say a child was broken though they clearly have come from an unstable and sometimes frightening home life. I wouldn’t see him/her as not whole, but would do what I could (along with a team of people) to assist that child in any way that we could. So, if that child isn’t broken, then can adults be broken or do they need outside (and sometimes inside) assistance to help find peace again (assuming it was possible to find peace again for them)?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
jessle
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Soul Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessle.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by jessle »

A day before reading this book, I used the Humpty Dumpty story to describe something to a friend. When I came across this chapter, I therefore found myself pausing to reflect for a while.

Humpty signifies that yes, while we may fall, we can always get back up again. It is necessary to break in order to be put back together again. I wouldn't see it as being fixed, rather being recreated into something stronger.
Much like a broken plate being repaired , you may see where the cracks were, but it is now a different object entirely. Beautiful and strong in its own unique way.

We are not broken, but rather imperfect, and that imperfection makes us unique. That is what makes us resilient, truly appreciate our inner light.

That is my take on it.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

jessle wrote: 14 Oct 2022, 11:56 A day before reading this book, I used the Humpty Dumpty story to describe something to a friend. When I came across this chapter, I therefore found myself pausing to reflect for a while.

Humpty signifies that yes, while we may fall, we can always get back up again. It is necessary to break in order to be put back together again. I wouldn't see it as being fixed, rather being recreated into something stronger.
Much like a broken plate being repaired , you may see where the cracks were, but it is now a different object entirely. Beautiful and strong in its own unique way.

We are not broken, but rather imperfect, and that imperfection makes us unique. That is what makes us resilient, truly appreciate our inner light.

That is my take on it.
Ooo…I like the “recreated into something stronger” thought and I agree! I agree, we aren’t broken, but imperfect and it makes us resilient. Thank you for taking the time to read and share your thoughts!
Heidi

Julia DeLaney
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Anastasia Wilde
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julia-delaney.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 83569

Post by Julia DeLaney »

I always looked at the nursery rhyme as though he fell apart it wasn't over, and he can be put back together again. There still may be cracks that need healing but in the end, he learned how the pieces of himself fit together making him who he is.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Izzy Kruger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izzy-kruger.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Thomas Alfie

Post by Izzy Kruger »

I think that you can also look at the last part of the nursery rhyme and find some wisdom there:

"All the king's horses and all the king's men.
Couldn't put Humpty together again."

We can look at those lines and discover that if a person doesn't want to fix themselves, the people around them will not be able to fix them, no matter how strong and influential they are.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Julia DeLaney wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 15:32 I always looked at the nursery rhyme as though he fell apart it wasn't over, and he can be put back together again. There still may be cracks that need healing but in the end, he learned how the pieces of himself fit together making him who he is.
It’s so funny. I never thought much about this silly nursery rhyme, but now that I’m thinking about it more, I absolutely agree with what you’re saying. He may have cracks, but he learned to put the pieces of himself together and that makes him who he is.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! :)
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Iselma Kruger wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 04:58 I think that you can also look at the last part of the nursery rhyme and find some wisdom there:

"All the king's horses and all the king's men.
Couldn't put Humpty together again."

We can look at those lines and discover that if a person doesn't want to fix themselves, the people around them will not be able to fix them, no matter how strong and influential they are.
Oh wow! I absolutely love this and it makes perfect sense! We need to want to help ourselves and not rely on others.

Thank you for sharing! :)
Heidi

Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

This is a rather interesting topic. this reminds me of a discussion I had with my friends about a life condition I had where it was discussed that maybe my patterns of thinking weren't a genuine issue, but rather a sign that I belonged in a different format of society. At the same time though, there are a lot of character issues that reflect a genuine problem which indicates a possible need of fixing.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I don't think that sometimes it's up to us to decide whether someone needs to be fixed. Sometimes this needs to be a journey of self discovery and decide on the course to be taken. I therefore do not think Humpty Dumpty needs fixing until he realizes that himself.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

I feel like it could be taken as something deeper and how you need to help yourself before someone else can help you, but it is also just a nursery rhyme so I don't take it as that deep
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

Its really mind blowing how a simple, mundane topic like the rhyme Humpty Dumpty can be so thought provoking. I do not believe that he actually needs fixing by someone else, I think that he just needs to figure himself out with time.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

I agree with this idea to a degree. To say no one needs to be fixed is untrue because we all have a sin nature and have areas that need improvement. But to believe that people need to change their entire personality is wrong. Change is good, but I’m not going to date or marry a person to change them from mr. Hyde to dr. Jekyll.
Hannah Jones 8
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Cruising Through The Teens, Easier Than It Seems
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-jones-8.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Hannah Jones 8 »

I love this view on the classic nursery tale! I believe that a lot of what we are told as children conditions us into who we become as adults. Particularly, in this case the idea that we can somehow ‘fix’ everything, whether that be problems - that are frankly far outside of our control - people or ourselves. As we get older this idea can become toxic and you see the saviour complex play out in many different situations, co-dependant relationships and not being accountable for oneself - waiting for someone else to come along and ‘fix’ you. Maybe we’d see less of this if we weren’t conditioned at such a young age?? Who knows.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”