Humpty Dumpty - Does he actually need to be fixed?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, forward your receive via email to verification@onlinebookclub.org and you will be given access to this forum.
Forum rules
You are viewing the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=164698
Yulisa Sanchez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yulisa-sanchez.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Re: Humpty Dumpty - Does he actually need to be fixed?

Post by Yulisa Sanchez »

This question has plagued me on a personal level. I have for the most part believed that we are all capable of change and growth with the tools we have at our disposal. However, when I meet people who struggle with basic things then it makes me wonder if there is more to life and that some people do need more to function. Therefore, I believe now that it can be both and our job is to find what it is we need to live a fulfilling life.
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

In my journey of self discovery, I've realized that sometimes some things need to be fixed to help us get back up. We can't fix everything but individually, we can try and do so much.
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

After going through a traumatic event and feeling broken, I think Humpty Dumpty doesn't necessarily need to be fixed. But he does need a support team to help pick up the pieces, give him time to heal, listen to how he is feeling, and get back to living again. Perhaps his life begins again from a new perspective. Hopefully, he learns a few lessons along the way and gains some wisdom for the future.
Krista Kirby-Dempsey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2483
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-kirby-dempsey.html
Latest Review: The House of Spark by Luminita Laflash

Post by Krista Kirby-Dempsey »

I think Humpty Dumpty needs help to be fixed. Sometimes you can't start on your own so others come to help. After the initial help Humpty Dumpty receives, it is up to him to continue fixing himself on his own.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I get where you are coming from. In the nursery rhyme, Humpty fell and broke to piece, but his journey wasn't over, he was put back together - fixed. This could have an internal meaning, where he had to work on himself to become a better version, or where realizing pushing the limits to have, does have consequences. Even making mistakes, can hurt/have negative results, but can also be fixed again or worked on.

In the more, everyday meaning of fixing people - I do believe some people need help, for example, to break an addiction or to be pushed into therapy should they for instance have been in an accident and need to relearn to walk, but it hurts and that self-strength isn't always there. This I believe can be helped to "fix" people.

I do not believe in fixing people to fit the "norm" of society. I don't care what you look like, your clothes, your personality, as long as you yourself are happy with YOU!
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

The need of being or not be fixed depends on what we consider to be fixed or not. In the case of Humpty Dumpty, I cannot see any benefits of letting him scattered in pieces. 
Rob White
In It Together VIP
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Maestro Monologue

Post by Rob White »

Humpty fell off the wall metaphorically. He heard 60,000 NOs between age two and five (like we all do), and his lofty dreams of success became vague imaginings. That was the fall. No one can fix Humpty, but Humpty. Humpty has to look at himself rigorously and see the mistakes he made in believing the NOs. That's when Humpty's resurrection (ascent back high on that wall), begins once again.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

Thank you for the subject. This brings to mind a conversation I had with some friends about a problem in my life, during which it was suggested that perhaps my thought patterns weren't a real problem after all, but rather a clue that I belonged in a different kind of social structure. On the other hand, there are numerous character flaws that reflect a real issue and may require fixing.
Rob White
In It Together VIP
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Maestro Monologue

Post by Rob White »

Perhaps Humpty didn't fall of the wall at all. What if Humpty was pushed! Pushed by who or what? Pushed of that glorious high wall by the 60,000 NOs that stopped Humpty from standing proud and tall. Hmmm.
Abby-Young
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Sarah J Mass
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abby-young.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 9321

Post by Abby-Young »

Nothing is ever truly broken. Everything can always be fixed you just have to be willing to put it back together again. No matter how many times something breaks it is possible to put it back together. Weather it is a hole in a wall, a plate, a mental breakdown, rock bottom, or a puzzle it can always be repaired.

My take on it is that someone must be willing to put in the time and effort to fix either themselves, someone else, or something. It may not be ass good as the original or it could be better, but nothing is truly broken, and nothing is not worthy of being fixed, repaired, or improved.
Aditii Mehta
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditii-mehta.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by Aditii Mehta »

I never thought about this nursery rhyme in this way. We may not need to be fixed but we can always discover ourselves by putting our pieces back together.
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

Humpty Dumpty needs to figure it out by himself. Self-discovery can never be compared to fixation from another person. I wouldn't it more serious, after all it talks "about what if."
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik
Cerel_Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cerel-moni.html
Latest Review: Maddie's Chronicle by Daniel O Stuhlman

Post by Cerel_Moni »

It is certainly interesting to consider the deeper meanings and potential symbolism behind the Humpty Dumpty nursery rhyme. The line "Humpty Dumpty doesn't need a surgeon. He simply needs to find himself" could be interpreted as a commentary on the tendency for individuals or society as a whole to try to "fix" people who are perceived as broken or flawed, rather than recognizing that they may simply need to find their own way and discover their own inner strength. This could also be seen as a commentary on the idea that people often have the answers and solutions to their own problems within themselves, rather than needing to be "fixed" by someone else.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Damian Keyes »

There are many broken people in this world who are trying to pick back up the pieces. In Humpty Dumpty's case, he was put back together by another person; so he did not do the work himself. Now, I do not think that someone like Humpty is not self-efficient because of this, it just means that they need to become more resilient to life's hurdles. Once we acknowledge those areas in our life, we all will be able to put ourselves back together. Then, next time we do fall down, we (at least) know how to get back up on our own. Life will knock us down many times, but it's up to us to get back up.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Post by David Chijindu »

I had never considered this nursery rhyme in this manner. Even if we don't require fixing, we may always learn more about ourselves by reassembling our parts.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”