In It Together book review

Use this forum to discuss the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, forward your receive via email to verification@onlinebookclub.org and you will be given access to this forum.
Forum rules
You are viewing the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=164698
Abbie Braun
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbie-braun.html
Latest Review: City of Shards by Steve Rodgers

In It Together book review

Post by Abbie Braun »

The book has a very positive message and many paragraphs worth reading. However, it starts off being too repetitious, especially with the constant recapping of content after only s couple pages. the author spends a lot of time trying to ensure that he is neutral and isn't trying to rock the boat. I enjoyed the book, but I feel like the message could've been achieved with half as many pages.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

I agree with you. The first few chapters were more like disclaimers, the author trying to make sure he does not offend anyone, and it felt a little bit like a drag and may deter someone. But other than that it was nice and very catchy. Full of quotables too.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I agree with the noted points and i also think this book is great and satisfying. It is a life changing episode in life.
Izzy Kruger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izzy-kruger.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Thomas Alfie

Post by Izzy Kruger »

I will definitely be rereading parts of this book in the future. But knowing how good it gets after the first few chapters, I would skip them.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

I do agree that the first part feels as like the author really trying to make the book seem like it's for everyone which I felt was a bit repetitive after a bit.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

I agree that this book is a life changing episode. Me Scott targeted to change the lives of people through this book. I will keep it in a safe place for future use.
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Magnets
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-reeves.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Alex Reeves »

The opening questions which seemed repetitive were, from my standpoint, made to obtain rapt attention from the reader. They did their job, as I was glied after reading the first page.
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Affliction: Growing Up With a Closeted Gay Dad by Laura Hall

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

My favorite part of this book had to do with giving yourself a break by saying, 'I did the best that I could.'
Shut-Eye Shares
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shut-eye-shares.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Shut-Eye Shares »

Hey everyone I am very confused about these reviews.
Please clarify how any of these quotes are about love when the author clearly hates all humankind. "We are vampires who no longer resist our lifestyle of disregard for human life and human suffering." (9)

He then points out that politicians are vampires as well. "In what ways-really- is a self-serving politician sucking at the profitable teat of the violent military-industrial complex different than a literal vampire murdering children?" I guess we're all no different than politicians if we're all vampires.

He talks about people as if they are meat puppets. He calls humans "creators" and says that our bodies are the ones creating addiction. He describes humans as "silly primitive flesh," "fleshy material (105)," and so on. Whenever he calls human bodies things such as "fleshy material," it feels like a cry for help that he needs to learn to love and accept his own body.

"Most of your human body is not even your brain. It's mostly a meaty sack of dumb ocean water that grew legs (81)." Is this self-loving or hating?

On the book’s sleeve, there are reviews that say, "Written with a lot of heart." How is, "Simple psychopath selfishness is not what causes a wealthy neglected trust-fund baby to cut her wrists vertically, bleeding out to death by her own hand, crying (24)," written with a lot of heart? This is very violent.

Some more disturbing quotes from the book with very little love:
"Another example of manic-like loving overcompensation-taken from the spatial instead of the temporal side of things-would be the grand gestures made by a textbook repeat physical abuser, such as buying expensive flowers for the victim the next morning, after repeatedly slapping the victim with a frying pan the prior night (53)."

"Accept and love the dark side of life too. If you look in the mirror and see a human with tears in his or her eyes, or a bloody smile, love that human just the same, more maybe.
Just love it all.
Love everything (166)." This one sent a creepy chill down my spine. Why is this so violent and manic?

"If the truth hurts the body and ego, then laugh in disobedient glee as the honest truth beats you bloody (167)."

No real self-help book uses gore to inspire people.

One last point, this book focuses on you and you alone. There is no "uniting" us with anyone else. So the title itself is deceiving.

If anyone has dark thoughts about their life, this is not the book they should be reading.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”