The Problem of Evil

Use this forum to discuss the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, forward your receive via email to verification@onlinebookclub.org and you will be given access to this forum.
Forum rules
You are viewing the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=164698
Bill Kincaid
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-william-e-kincaid.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

The Problem of Evil

Post by Bill Kincaid »

I didn't really understand what the author means when he says "There is no problem of evil." Was not the holocaust evil? Was not the genocide in Rwanda evil? Was not Stalin's mass killing evil? What about 9/11? What does he mean when he says, "it is what it is"? Can someone enlighten me?
Michael Adam Glidden Forteski
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-adam-glidden-forteski.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Michael Adam Glidden Forteski »

This is just me interpreting it here but I believe he's recognizing that evil exists as a fact of life. But I wasn't too sure about what he meant in this context. I'm curious to see what other people think about this.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

Thank you for bringing this to light. There are some things written that I completely disagreed with in this book. Maybe he didn’t express himself clearly, but this quote was one of several that made he cringe.
The reality is this: there is evil in this world. As a believer, It’s hard to ignore somebody say evil is here so we just need to accept it. Of course it is here. But I’m not going to sit around and accept it. I’m going to try to do my best to bring good into the world through my belief in what Christ has done for me.
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

I agree with what others have said. I think it’s hard to deny that evil things have happened to people. Some people have behaved horribly to others. We think of that as evil. I believe the idea is that we have to accept our life circumstances at face value because you can only control yourself. You can’t force people to be kind to one another. This exact same thing was something I mentioned in my review as something I found difficult to accept as well.
Bill Kincaid
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-william-e-kincaid.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Bill Kincaid »

Thank you all for your replies. It is comforting to know that I am not the only one who had difficulty with this concept.
Izzy Kruger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izzy-kruger.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Thomas Alfie

Post by Izzy Kruger »

I think that the idea of going, "It's here, nothing you can do about it..." bothers me the most. Is the whole concept of human nature not that we are to fight against our baser selfish instincts and thus create a better world? All things are perpetually moving towards entropy. Thus we need to have an active input to prevent the downfall. The idea of free will is not that we ignore all things wrong in the world, and just keep ourselves happy.
Hannah Jones 8
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Cruising Through The Teens, Easier Than It Seems
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-jones-8.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Hannah Jones 8 »

I understand your question and agree that evil things have happened in this world. However my take on this chapter is that if you lack an inner peace and fail to see the beauty in the world - focusing only on the harshness - then you will only ever see ‘evil’ because that is the filter through which you view the world.
With regards to evil acts that you mentioned like the holocaust and genocides, I believe that these acts take place because the people who start them/participate lack an inner peace. They have inner turmoil which causes such events to take place.
Arguably the focus of this chapter was on a God’s view of the world. As a whole, not on the individual level of a singular person, act, moment in time or even a country. Rather, to view it like astronauts do in its entirety, and recognise the beauty that such a fragile system - that isn’t to date replicated elsewhere in the universe - exists.

I am aware that my interpretation of this chapter may be different to others, and welcome this fact.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

There is definitely a lot of evil out there in the world. However, a lot of this book emphasizes the concept of the heavy levels of focus in the elements of evil when there just regularly just as many good things happening too
Rob White
In It Together VIP
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Maestro Monologue

Post by Rob White »

"Evil" is a human concept. It's also a religious premise. Life offers us what life offers us, and we decide whether it is good or evil. We see the rain as good when it waters the spring flowers. We see the rain as evil when it floods a small village and dozens drown. The rain is the rain in both cases. We evaluate the rain according to our concerns. Is that not what Scott is saying in his own unique way?
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

This idea of "Evil" is unique to humans. It also has a religious foundation. We choose whether what life delivers is good or bad based on what it offers us. When it waters the spring flowers, we consider rain to be good. When rain floods a tiny community and many people perish, we perceive the rain as wicked. In all scenarios, the rain is the rain. We assess the rain in light of our worries. Diverse perspectives exist among people.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”