“To live is to suffer.” Do you agree?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, forward your receive via email to verification@onlinebookclub.org and you will be given access to this forum.
Forum rules
You are viewing the October 2022 Book of the Month In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must purchase the book.

After buying the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=164698
Jaidyn Taylor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaidyn-taylor.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

“To live is to suffer.” Do you agree?

Post by Jaidyn Taylor »

Hughes says in his book “In It Together” that the main reason for human suffering is our constant desire for gain. And when we achieve whatever that “gain” is, we move on to the next things. To suffer, he says, is to have unfulfilled desire.

While I agree in a general sense with this, the main reason people experience this is because what they’re trying to obtain is merely physical needs…even if it is a worthy goal, you will always be wanting to, needing to, obtain more and more because what you’re wanting is earthly. Man-made. If what you try to obtain is peace, happiness, acceptance, etc, then that constant need to get more and more, will grow less and less.

“To live is to suffer” is only true when our goals remain earthly and physical, tied to greed—even in an “innocent” or “pure” form. Instead, it should say “To live is to learn/grow/change.” Any variance of these words. We were not meant to simply live to suffer, but we live to GROW. And yes, sometimes that growth involves suffering, but to live only to suffer? No. We live to learn how not to suffer.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

If we accept suffering and death as an inherent part of our humanity, these cease to affect us. However, it is hard to remain serene when your child gets sick with cancer. However, Scott refers to the suffering triggered by our neverending ambitions. From this perspective, we are doomed to suffer as we are never content with what we have.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Nyam Bura
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyam-bura.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nyam Bura »

Although we must go through some form of suffering in our lives. I believe there is more to life than suffering. I believe our attitude matters a lot in helping us navigate the life's challenges. If we focus on the challenges, we will always think that we were born to suffer, but if we focus on the positives, we will learn from the challenges and enjoy life. So, I agree, we live to learn how not to suffer.
Jenna Padayachee
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-padayachee.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
Signature Addition: Jenna Padayachee

Post by Jenna Padayachee »

Hi

Great post.
I suffered a lot thinking about suffering and watching other people suffer.
I agree with Scott in that our acknowledgement of the facts of life on earth ( We are born, experience pain, hopefully grow old and then die). IOW- "To live is to suffer".
This acknowledgement / awareness allows us to see that we get to choose the time called "now" in which we are alive and can live to our fullest potential.

The above is my interpretation of what I have read, Thank you for sharing your insight. All the best forward.

warm regards

Jenna :)
"Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." Lao Tzu
Jenna Padayachee

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”