Scariest/Creepiest Book Scene

For October 2022, we'll be reading Horror/Spooky books.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Scariest/Creepiest Book Scene

Post by Heidi M Simone »

In the spirit of this month’s genre theme, what is the creepiest/scariest scene you’ve read?

What book did it come from?

Did you end up finishing reading the book?

(Please try not to give too many spoilers of the book(s) you mention. If there will be spoilers, please clearly mark it on your post)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Horror books rarely scare me, but I've had a few scenes get me a bit.

There's a scene in The Shining where Danny is playing in the playground. I won't go into what happens, but... yeah.

Another one is in T. Kingfisher's The Hollow Places.
There's a *sort of* haunted school bus that made me uncomfy.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 22:53 Horror books rarely scare me, but I've had a few scenes get me a bit.

There's a scene in The Shining where Danny is playing in the playground. I won't go into what happens, but... yeah.

Oh goodness! I’ll steer away from those for sure!

I don’t really read truly scary books (or watch any scary movies) because I end up having nightmares and it just isn’t good. I think I was scarred with my viewing of The Exorcist when I was a kid. My parents warned me it was too scary, but I said I could handle it.

Ha, I couldn’t sleep at night for a while, convinced I wasn’t safe. It wasn’t until my dad slept in the same room (or pretended to sleep until I fell asleep, then he snuck away) that I could sleep at night again. Ever since then, anything horror freaks me out 🙃
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

hsimone wrote: 06 Oct 2022, 13:19
Gravy wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 22:53 Horror books rarely scare me, but I've had a few scenes get me a bit.

I don’t really read truly scary books (or watch any scary movies) because I end up having nightmares and it just isn’t good. I think I was scarred with my viewing of The Exorcist when I was a kid. My parents warned me it was too scary, but I said I could handle it.

Ha, I couldn’t sleep at night for a while, convinced I wasn’t safe. It wasn’t until my dad slept in the same room (or pretended to sleep until I fell asleep, then he snuck away) that I could sleep at night again. Ever since then, anything horror freaks me out 🙃
This has somehow helped me to realize exactly what about those parts creeps me out. This is really interesting, and means I may be able to find a book that will actually work on me!

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 06 Oct 2022, 20:00

This has somehow helped me to realize exactly what about those parts creeps me out. This is really interesting, and means I may be able to find a book that will actually work on me!
Glad I was able to help! It’s so interesting that you look for something to scare you, while I go the opposite direction. 🙃 Hope you find a good book that’ll work on!
Heidi

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

hsimone wrote: 07 Oct 2022, 05:47

Glad I was able to help! It’s so interesting that you look for something to scare you, while I go the opposite direction. 🙃 Hope you find a good book that’ll work on!
It really is odd. I suppose it's because nothing like that has ever really bothered me, so I want that little bit of a safe scare, where you have to leave the lights on. :lol:

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 00:37
hsimone wrote: 07 Oct 2022, 05:47

It really is odd. I suppose it's because nothing like that has ever really bothered me, so I want that little bit of a safe scare, where you have to leave the lights on. :lol:
:lol: Hope you find your safe scare! 🙃
Heidi

Return to “October 2022 Genre Discussion”